Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imacurvygrrl

Instant hot - location?

ImaCurvyGrrl
13 years ago

Hi all,

Was talking about a pot filler for my new kitchen, but more for filling a tea kettle that goes on the stove. Several members suggested an instant hot for that purpose, but I'm not sure where to place it.

Where is your instant hot and how do you like it? Would love to see pics!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• njmamma
    13 years ago

I saw your other thread and started to reply but got distracted...our instant hot is located at our sink (we only have one in the kitchen). Our sink has a soap dispenser on the leftt corner, faucet in the middle and the instant hot is on the right corner. The instant hot faucet also dispenses cold, filtered water as well. I was very ambivalent about it but my husband insisted. I am really glad we have it and use it almost everyday- instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, etc And I even use it to rinse out the vinturi wine aerator (the stream is smaller than the faucet). We drink coffee in our house but it's great when a tea drinker is over and I don't have to wait for the tea kettle. Besides the convenience, it's nice not to have that one extra thing on the counter.

I'm not sure if you're still considering the potfiler...we have one and I LOVE it. I use it so much more than everyone said that I would. It's great to have an extra water source in the kitchen and right at the range. We use it for pasta, soups, dumplings and we fill the coffee pot with it every morning. We were slightly concerned with the no-drain issue but it has not been a problem. There are three shut-offs for it- two on the faucet and one in the basement. The only con that I can think of is cost. Our GC did not break down how much that cost but he did have to run a extra line, use a special pipe (according to him) and add extra insulation. This is because ours is on an outside wall and I insisted that it had to be a wall mount (vs deck mount). Mostly, I like that it looks pretty and the functional part was a bonus. If I get around to strainghtening up the kitchen, I will take pics for you :)

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

Are you the tea drinker, or is it your partner? Reason I ask is that I am a major tea drinker, and don't think I'd be happy with anything short of rapidly boiling water. Does the instant hot give you BOILING water?

I prefer an electric kettle to anything else. Just call me picky picky picky.

• ImaCurvyGrrl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NJMamma, thanks for the info. I didn't even think about instant oatmeal! :) Would love to see pictures. I can't get enough of pictures on this site!

StillLynnski, I'm not the hot drinker in my house, DH is. He drinks a cup of coffee in the morning with a single cup drip coffee maker, then tea the rest of the time from the regular kettle. We both sort of agree (I only drink cocoa every now and then -- not even 2x a month) that we prefer how things taste with boiling water. But DH keeps saying, "if it's there, we'll probably use it. If it isn't, we probably won't miss it." How helpful is that??

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

Boiling is 212. Instant hot is at least 190 degrees. Don't think you can tell the difference. In addition, most teas do better at temps from 140 up to boiling depending on the tea variety. While using boiling water will usually not make tea worse, it is better at slightly lower temps.

Our instant hot is on the right corner as we have a d-shape sink. Faucet is on the left corner.

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

I love the instant hot water dispenser. I'm a tea drinker and DS uses it for instant oatmeal. I also use it daily to rinse knives and our non-stick pans after use. Makes clean up a breeze. We have it at our prep sink.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

it is written in all the tea connoisseur web sites that a temperature BELOW boiling is best.

This subject has been discussed before, many times, in relation to InstaHot dispensers. It's not a concern, once you know that 190 degrees is OK.

--

to the OP ImaCurvyGrrl : anywhere you place it will be fine. It has a self closing valve.

to njmamma: photo please. Because it's wall mount.

• ImaCurvyGrrl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on the water temperature for tea and the instant hot, Johnny153.

Thanks Kiffgirl. I suspect we'll be considering locating it at the prep sink rather than the clean-up/main sink.

Davidro1, my only concern is putting it in an already congested area like the sink. But the new kitchen will also have a prep sink, so it might not be as big a deal.

• latimore
    13 years ago

Ours is on the left side at the corner. This faucet is filtered cold and filtered instant hot. We use it ALL the time - making cocoa, warming up kids' thermos for packing soup for lunch, making brewed ice tea, etc.

{{!gwi}}