Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenmorewasher

What detergent/softener and wash/rinse temp do you use?

kenmorewasher
16 years ago

What detergent/softener and wash/rinse temp do you use?

I use All Free Clear liquid detergent and Snuggle Blue Sparkle Cuddle Up Fresh dryer sheets and Warm Wash/Cold Rinse.

Comments (12)

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

Right now I use Bio-kleen detergent with vinegar in the softener cup. I am trying the new dryer sheets from Arm and Hammer. They are supposed to be natural and better for the environment but I'm still not sure if it's a marketing ploy. As for wash temp it depends on the items being washed. I always rinse in cold though.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I use All Free and Clear HE liquid and Downy Free liquid softener. I also use Spray and Wash stain stick or Clorox 2 Free as needed. Temp depends on the load. Hot/warm/cold for the wash with a cold rinse.

Are the Arm and Hammer sheets fragrance free?

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I use Persil Megaperls(white/color/and gel_the german formula) and UK Ariel for detergents

I use Vernel and UK Comfort, or Ecover or Method for fabric softeners

• aquarius2101
    16 years ago

All depends on what load you're washing...

I'm surprised you only stick to one detergent Rob, if I remember rightly the other day you were strongly recommending powders...

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I use Bi-O-Kleen Premium powder with Downy Free & Sensitive. The F&S Downy lacks the scents and waxy feel that its scented brethren contain, it's a wonderful product. I briefly tried Ecover FS, but it didn't soften nearly as well as Downy.

Using the Bi-O-Kleen powder has forced me to add a couple of capfuls of Pine Sol to each load to keep the machine mold-free. Since switching to a green detergent, my machine has started to express odd smells which were never there before. I always leave the door open after cycles, and I live in AZ with an average 5% humidity -- I'm hardly an ideal candidate for mold!

Does anyone know where I can get a supply of pure pine oil?

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

You add Pine Sol to each load? Oh YUCK. What do your clothes smell like? Eeeww...I don't want to think about it.

But I don't like the smell of pine oil, so that is clouding my thinking. Think I'd be hitting the hard chemicals if I had to do that.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Jerrod about the pine sol, but then, I don't like the smell of pine sol either. I do use Sal's Suds, a natural cleaner made with a lower level of pure pine oil and no harsh chemicals, I can use it with my bare hands with no problems, and I can't even touch most liquid soaps! You might want to consider switching detergents, if you are trying to use something that is better for the environment, how safe is Pine Sol? Here is a link to a safety sheet on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Household Products Database: Health and Safety Information

• dmlove
    16 years ago

Tide HE powder; whites are usually washed in hot water (not sure of the rinse temp); colors are usually washed in warm water and rinsed in cold. No bleach, no additives, no fabric softener. Machines are Kenmore HE2t.

• mayguy
    16 years ago

I use Tide powdered HE, Outdoor Fresh Downy, Warm wash on colored, clothes, and whites, use bleach, and hot water.

Note to poster about order, use about a cup of dish washer detergent on empty load in hot water.

• cynic
    16 years ago

I use whatever is cheap and effective. I used a lot of Arm & Hammer liquid but lately wanted something a little better. Overall it was fine. Tried Great Value (WalMart brand) powder and was very impressed. Long time since I had used powders but this has enzymes and works very well. Tried Sun powder, and although it doesn't have enzymes, it works surprisingly well. I'll sometimes give it a boost with dishwasher detergent as I did with A&H.

I used to use Wisk and it was probably about the best overall (that could have changed since though, but I don't know) but I haven't used it in a long time since the price became too much. Used ERA for a while and liked it, though not as well as Wisk. That's when I started using A&H. And there was also a store brand or two that I used with success that are no longer available.

I seldom use softener anymore but when I do, it's vinegar in a Downey Ball.

FWIW, I tried Tide but I itch from it. Very few brands make me itch, but Tide does it.

• cynic
    16 years ago

Oops and forgot to say I only have a cold rinse on my machine. Usually use warm or hot for wash, depending on what I'm washing. Used to use cold wash but then realized that tap cold is far different than "laundry" cold!

• laundry_goddess
    16 years ago

Don't forget Perwol for "good" sweaters 30C / cold rinse - nothing else like it:)