Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

New Island, new granite, need backsplash help!

mom2sethc
12 years ago

Hello,

I have a new black island with Ayers Green granite and I have replaced my black laminate with polished AB (horror or horrors! But I LOVE it!). Anyway, I will be replacing my current backsplash because 1) There is over a 1/2 inch gap between my counters and my backsplash and 2) I simply don't like it, it is an "if I knew then, what I know now" situation!

So I want and love white glass subway tile. Can I get away with a white backsplash? I would consider green, but I already have so much green in my kitchen (walls, island top, curtains, etc). I don't want anything stone, I don't want small mosaics, so..can a white glass backsplash work for me, or what else would you suggest given the information that I have provided?

This is the eat in area of my kitchen (so you can see the whtie on this side of my room, I also have a white leather bench against the wall that you cannot see).

My new island with Ayers Green granite:

My perimiter with AB:

Another shot of perimeter:

Comments (17)

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I remember your dilemna about the green granite. I am generally not a granite person, but I love your update! (Good luck keeping the AB clean!)

Sounds crazy but I actually like your backsplash. You said there's a gap and why you need the new one, but IMO I think a white would be too stark with the black perimeter.

I like the current size of your tiles, which I am assuming are 12x12. I also like the color because it provides a softness that I don't think white would.

However, since you want subway tile, what about the Rixi crackle in either crema or mandorla?

mandorla:

crema:

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I think white will be too stark a contrast, but if you want an idea of how white would look, try taping white paper towels, butcher paper, etc over existing B/S and see how you like it. I think I would stick to a creamier color like chocolate bunny suggested to tie in with the floor. Everything looks great!

• dad2sethc
    12 years ago

If you feel it necessary to go with a white glass subway, I would recommend introducing random (...not patern) placement of green glass subways. This would soften the stark contrast with the AB, adding interest to the backsplash. This would also tie in your island surface and wall colors.

Best of Luck - Post pix upon completion

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello,

I realize the white would be stark, but what is really wrong with that? Please educate me. I like contrast, color, non-neutral. I've never been a fan of brown. I don't like my current backsplash because it just blends in with my brown cabinets and doesn't add anything. I have seen a few (granted not many!)kitchens with stained cabs, black counters and white backsplashes.

chocolatebunny - I could entertain the idea of a cream tile, however wouldn't it look odd against my stark white window frame? I also worry that it falls into that neutral, brown, blah blend issue that I have! LOL!

joaniepoanie - I might need to do this before I drop the money for the tile! Thanks!

Dad2sethc - very funny dh! You don't get your way on this!

• martian1
    12 years ago

I just wanted to say that I love your green granite! Beautiful!

• sail_away
    12 years ago

I will add to Joaniepoanie's suggestion about putting something white over your backsplash by suggesting something that someone else who has posted on this site did (bayareafrancy, I beleive---not sure if I spelled it right, though). She put up index cards to replicate the white subway tiles. That way you'd get an idea about the color as well as the general shape.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

altho I like the brown cabs and creamier backsplash/floor, it's nice you got inspired to "mix it up"...there's some dissonanace between the cool/dark island and the walls/floor now. So probably the whiter backsplash will pull things together. And one other change is the blind over the kitchen window-something with fabric that has at least some black-maybe black/white stripe to pull the feel of the island into that wall-a tie in.The white window trim will ensure that move as having a good effect. This can work-look at various whites!

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

herbflavor - that is what I was thinking, that the white could pull my room together, especially since I have it in the eat-in dining area, but none really on the kitchen side, except for the window frame.
    I'll have to consider the blind, since I have full length curtains on the sliding door in the same fabric, and they were custom.
    I'm glad you think it can work, I don't feel so alone going in this direction!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

Oh I see those panels on the door there. Just leave the blind for now then. Do one thing at a time...this could be an option for later on....maybe not needed. [I like working with fabric-have changed panels that I've sewn up from sale fabric-moods can be altered this way with very little cost-but custom is a different deal !!].

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I have seen several creamy backsplashes with white trim and I think it looks fine.

There's nothing wrong with contrast, and I am one who does like contrast, but to me sometimes too much contrast doesn't work. For example, if you had the green granite on the perimeter, then I think the white BS would work fine b/c there's contrast, but it would not be as stark as black/white would be. I don't feel like I am explaining it well.

I guess what I am trying to say is not to have contrast just for the sake of not having something "neutral".

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

OK...I just re-read what I wrote and I don't understand what I was trying to say :) Didn't have any coffee yet this morning...

I think what I was trying to convey, is that in your space, you already have the contrast you're looking for with the black island and the black perimeter. You don't need to add a white BS to add *more* contrast.

This is of course just my opinion looking at your pictures on a monitor. Your space is very warm and I see that you have some white in the eating area. I just think doing a whole BS white won't work.

I agree with everyone's suggestion of putting white paper up to see how it would look. I did that when I was considering a dark countertop - I put black construction paper out and realized I didn't like the look.

There are other tiles that are light but not cream.

My google skills aren't the best today for some reason, but I have seen glass tiles that aren't super white. This one isn't the best example, but I found this color on glass tile oasis called "icicles" and from the picture it looks like a clear vs a white glass. I am having trouble embedding the picture. Maybe something like that would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taos icicle glass tile.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

You mentioned not wanting stone again but I found this one on The Tile Shop. It's described as "Elegant off-white stone veined lightly with silver and brown and laid in mosaic pattern with diamond-shaped snow-white glass."

Here is a link that might be useful: Evanston with snow glass tile

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I saw this one in person at the Tile Shop and the color is called "myst". It's not as green in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myst glass subway tile from The Tile Shop.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Good for you getting AB. Get what you want and love it.
    That is my motto.

The island is gorgeous.
    Here are some ideas...

White would be nice but what about a tiny splash of color

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure about the white backsplash, until I saw Boxerpup's pictures. Now, I think the white will look wonderful...and really pick up all your white, in the breakfast room :)

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank for your comments and suggestions. No one thought my white drum and white chairs in the eat-in dining area would work either, but I love the look and always get compliments. My eat-in dining area is very much a part of my kitchen, so bringing the white from that area into the kitchen makes sense to me. I can't see bringing in yet another shade of cream or gray. So..I'll post pics when it is done! I'm considering either standard size 3x6 white glass subways or American Olean Legacy Glass 2 x 4 white glass subways in pearl. Any thoughts on the look of the 2x4 vs the 3x6? Is one more modern than the other?

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

I think the white could work, however I would add a touch of green somewhere in the BS to tie to the granite on your island. Whether it be a focal point or a band, or even a mix of tiles as dad2sethc mentioned! :-) I think some green in the BS would bring it altogether.