Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shabruo

Price quote/estimates check

shabruo
13 years ago

Hello,

I am attempting to have a new system installed in my home. I can do either gas furnace or heat pump, currently we have electric heat.

We need a 5 ton heat pump, and have thus far gotten mutiple quotes for Lennox systems. We wanted to to use the contractor that does the Costco program, but they seem to be really off base in their pricing, and I'm just trying to get a reality check on this.

For a Lennox SLP98 gas furnace, they have quoted me $6500 for the equipment and basic install of that only (not including any duct work - I asked to separate it out).

For the XP17-060 5 ton with the CBX32mv variable speed air handler (or possibly upgrading to the XP21), they've told me I'll be in the range of 13K-16K for just the equipment.

The other local dealers (who I am trying to not go with - because with the Costco Co. we get more $ back and can use our costco Amex for payment), my quotes for equipment of the heat pumps were told to be in the ballpark of 7K-8K for equipment only.

What's going on here? Is the Costco co. completely off base in that quote? It seems to me that they are, and I have a bad feeling about it... but I just want to know what the general consensus is on what I should be looking to spend for that heat pump system. And why would the furnace option by more than half the price? Any one have any thoughts or could maybe back me up in my feeling that they are not quoting the heat pump correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

shabruo

what is your location?

I never recommend buying HVAC through a big box store.

what is your electric cost?

what is your nat gas cost?

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem,Carrier/Bryant.

the prices of 13-16K are absurd.

IMO

• shabruo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Tigerdunes.
    The company that installs is just contracted by Costco - they are a larger Oregon company (not Costco) that is supposed to do Costco pricing. I'm really only focusing on trying to use them because the offer extra cash back incentives, and allow additional forms of payment (Amex.

Our electric and gas pricing is as follows:
    Basic charge $7.00 per month
    Delivery charge 2.887 cents per kWh

Energy charge, Winter (November through April billing cycles)
    First 800 kWh 4.356 cents per kWh
    Next 2,200 kWh 6.001 cents per kWh
    Over 3,000 kWh 7.220 cents per kWh

Energy charge, Summer (May through October billing cycles)
    First 800 kWh 4.356 cents per kWh
    Next 900 kWh 6.001 cents per kWh
    Over 1,700 kWh 7.220 cents per kWh

AND GAS:
    Customer Charge: $6.00
    Usage Charge (per therm): $1.10644

We're considering a number of different options right now: just furnace, just heat pump, or a dual fuel combo - maybe with the XP16 system and a 95% AFUE.

I do have someone coming out to give me a Goodman quote today. While I know that people don't normally recommend Goodman, if it's a good installer with a 10 year labor and parts warranty, would I really be risking a lot to go with them? We're on a serious budget for doing this project and are trying to squeak in under the rebate deadlines. At this point, I'm seriously considering this latter option.

Thanks for any additional advice, and for confirming what I thought about the pricing on the Lennox XP17/21. How about the cost of the SLP98 5 ton furnace? Does that seem high at $6500?

Thanks!!

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

shabruo

you have cheap electric rates.

based on your location,I would think your average winter low is around 30 degrees if that. correct or not?

I see no reason for gas furnace backup.

IMO

• shabruo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Tigerdunes,
    Our electric rates are about to go up again, and our gas just dropped about 1.5%.. not sure if this comes into the equation or not, but I am concerned about cost increases.

Our average winter lows are around mid 30s to 40s, and we do occasionally get into the 20's in the night time.

I get concerned with our size home (3400 sq ft) with the back up heat working in those temps. Would you not be concerned about this?

Many thanks again!