Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

Help me pic bedroom nightstands please? Pics

mom2sethc
15 years ago

Hello,

I posted my bedroom a while ago and someone suggested that I need to add a mirror over my dresser. I have since done that and the following pics show the room as it is now. I still need help in picking a style of nightstand for my bed. My bed and dresser are medium oak. I really don't want matching nightstands. What color, style would you suggest? I may need to have them made as I need something that is around 33-35 inches tall. I am totally stumped on what color, what style etc? Please send me any pics of styles that you think would look good, regardless of the height issue, I just need a direction to move forward.

Thanks!!!

{{gwi:1543962}}

Ignore the stuff on the dresser, I haven't done anything with it yet.

{{gwi:1543964}}

There is plenty of space for nightstands on both sides of the bed:

{{gwi:1543518}}

Comments (5)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Do you want nightstands for setting stuff on? The bed is massive and need something massive to balance it yet not bulk up the room with furniture. How about putting something low that won't block the window on the one side like a camelback trunk? It would work great for extra storage too. You could get one that is colorful or paint it for some zing in the room. Get one with metal decorative 'straps' or some other detailing. You can get flat topped ones if you do not like the camelback.

It looks like the other side is a big empty wall? You could use something a bit wider on that side. To get the 36" height you desire for the nightstand, check out baby furniture dressers. This one here is 35.75" without the changing tray with is sold separately, so try to picture the dresser without it. It is 40" wide but there are other options in baby furniture too that are narrower.

{{gwi:1543966}}

also 36.5" high:

{{gwi:1543967}}

Also check out antique/vintage oak dressers. Furniture was made much smaller in those days. You may be able to find a really unique low 36" not very wide, dresser that way. I saw lots of cute ones online that would fit.

Consider replacing the toile bedspread and curtains. Toile is too formal and the spread needs to be bigger for the size bed. Toile balloon valances are not the best choice for the style furniture in the cute attic bedroom and the pink in them does not play well with the orange-y oak. It would make a huge difference in the look of the room to get something else.

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestions, I never thought of looking at baby furniture. Would you go with a wood type finish instead of a painted (ivory or black) finish? I really wanted to have 2 stands/tables on each side of the bed with lamps on them. I like that look. There is only the floor lamp and an overhead ceiling fixture in the room.

Yes, I would eventually like to replace the bedding/curtains. It is actually a true deep red, there is no pink in it. I'm not thrilled with the valances either. Would you suggest a panel style? We simply bought this set in our other home and were trying to make it work in our new home. I would love to try a black/ivory print. What do you mean when you say that the bedding doesn't fit the bed? It is a queen size bed and queen size comforter. I don't understand?

Thanks!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

If you want to have two matching stands on each side just get two baby dressers like the third photo. They are 36" like you are looking for. They won't clash with the full size dresser you already have. Oak baby furniture is not as common so you will have to do more Googleing to find them. I would not put a solid black or white painted ones in the space. To harsh with oak. If you want to do a painted piec get one with an oak top to blend it in a bit with the oak you have.

I think a deep painted color like the second photo could bring in some pop to the room but NOT with two of them painted the same color. That would be overkill.

If you are putting a nightstand in front of the window you should stick with swag valances. Swag valance would look cute on the window by the chair.

The comforter looks like it leaves a gap at the bottom and does not hit the siderails. I thought it might be the wrong size. I had to live with a full size comforter on a new queen size bed for a long time until I had the money for a queen size one. I thought maybe you were just using this one until you found the right one for the new bed. One thing to consider when shopping for a queen size comforter is that even though is says 'Queen' on the label it may not be the right dimension for the new deeper mattresses they sell now days. Something to look out for when ordering online or through a catalog. Check the measurements. They can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Black with oak top dresser nightstands also available:

• samanddrew
    15 years ago

How about some antique pine tables on either side of the bed? They would be something that you could keep forever, and could be moved to other rooms in the future if you ever decided to redecorate your bedroom again. Love the green paint color, btw. What is it?

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dilly - Ah...yes...we have a Tempurpedic mattress and it is very thick. This could be the problem, I'll watch for measurements when I get a new set. I love the nightstand that you posted a pic of, where did you find it? We could have our local Amish make it to size for us, and possibly match our existing oak stain. So this black and oak nightstand wouldn't be too harsh? I would prefer this idea to another oak piece.

Samanddrew - where would I get an antique pine table? The green paint is SW Bamboo Shoot, we love it too! Thanks!