Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

To eliminate, or not to eliminate, a FR doorway

gardenwebber
16 years ago

Hi all. I am usually on the kitchen boards, but I lurk here quite often. We are trying to design our new kitchen and we are at a standstill because I can't decide whether I should eliminate a 2nd doorway to our FR. I am attaching a diagram to show our first floor layout - excuse its crudeness.

Note that the FR has two doorways. One between the FR and dining room, and one between the FR and kitchen. The kitchen you see in this picture is our old kitchen, and the current plan we'd like to go with is this:

{{!gwi}}

The FR is now to the left of this drawing from this perspective, and I have made a note where to FR door in question is. The other FR door would be further down, into the next room (as you can see in the first picture) We basically swapped the kitchen from one side of the space to the other due to issues on the other side of the room.

The big question is, is it a worthwhile tradeoff to keep the doorway there, if it means that instead of a smooth flowing "L" shape, there is a break in the design for the doorway.

We use the FR for 3 purposes: as a TV room, a computer area, and a small sitting area by our back window. Without that door, the room becomes a dead-end with only one doorway creating a bottleneck. We actually closed the door off during the holidays to experiment, and it was a pain with company. Without company, its still a pain, but do-able. Moving the door down is not really an option because from the FR side, it would put the doors too close together. If I keep the door, I would like to pretty much keep it in its original location.

Any thoughts on this matter?

How important is it to have 2 doorways to a FR, one from the kitchen, one from the dining room/front foyer area? The FR is approximately 15X19.

I can submit new drawings if more info is needed. Thanks so very much.

Comments (15)

• annzgw
    16 years ago

If I'm reading the drawings correctly, I don't see where you need a second door if there is no formal/separate DR.
    I don't believe you're talking about a lot of sq. ft. and space looks limited, so I'd take advantage of using the wall.

If possible, make the door from the FR as wide and 'open' as possible if you're going for the great-room look.

BTW, you do realize once you start moving electrical/gas lines and plumbing, it adds a lot to the cost of the remodel?

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We will be using the room to the right, labeled "dining room now used as LR" as some sort of multi-purpose dining room eventually. Currently, we use it as an extra sitting room and kind of "playroom" for the children.

I'm not going for a "great room" look. I just don't want to create a big dead-end at the back of the Family Room where the window looking out over the backyard is. Its nice being able to go to the computer or window from the kitchen without interrupting the TV side of the FR. When we have company, too, its nice to have more than one way out of the FR... one person may be heading to the kitchen for more food, one may be heading to the front door to leave.

Yes, the gas and electrical change will be added work. Luckily, DH is handy and doesn't mind. ;)

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Well, I'd keep the door to the kitchen for the reasons you mentioned above. How nice to be able to directly access the FR from the Kitchen without cutting through another room.
    If you're carrying snacks and beverages into the FR why add extra steps plus having to walk around a table and chairs?

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mona - It is nice to have that doorway, no doubt about it. But, is it nice enough to sacrifice a smooth kitchen design by cutting the corner out of the potential "L" shape?

How are pass-throughs? We have also discussed putting the sink on the FR wall, closing up the doorway and putting a pass-through in as a compromise. Thoughts?

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Well, in your existing kitchen that doorway isn't in the work zone of the kitchen. In the new kitchen, that doorway is directly in the walkway of the sink, dishwasher & Fridge. Trying to work in that area and having people come and go through there would be more problematic than in your old kitchen just because you've totally moved the work area to that side of the room.

What are you doing with that end of the room in the new kitchen?

I do like the idea of having that L there for a contained workspace without the main traffic area running through there. One idea is to have the pass through, but really what will that gain you other than some openness to the room. You're not really going to pass stuff through there especially if you have to lean over the sink.

Have you thought about resituating your FR so the TV is on the wall that is where the door into the kitchen is? You could create a nice seating area facing that wall, and have the table area more in the front of the room.

You have a dilemma and your are right to stop and think about what you want - or which is the lessor of the two evils :-) A remodel is a costly project. Have you posted your layout on the kitchens forum? There is a slew of expert layout people on that board that love to analyze and critique layouts. I've seen some real creative solutions based on their recommendations.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Can you move the door to the other end of the room so that you have your clean "L" but still have a door into the family room? This way if people pass from the kitchen to the family room they are out of your work zone. I'm not sure what that would look like from the family room side of course without knowing more about that room but I think that would be most functional in the kitchen.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Oops I should read the whole post, you said moving the door isn't an option. I would still however considering moving the door and figuring out how to work with it on the family room side if you want to keep the door.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When we swap sides, we plan on using the other side for a small eat-in area, or breakfast nook type of space. The plumbing and gas is on the other side already because we used to have our laundry there.

Yes, I've been to the kitchen board. This is the thread that started it all: (it shows what caused us to swap the dining side and kitchen side in the first place, if anyone is interested)

Here is a link that might be useful: Original kitchen thread

• les917
    16 years ago

I think you have answered your own question. You tried it with the existing door closed, and it was a pain. You use that end of the FR as a sitting space, and the flow in the FR is bad with only one doorway.

It also seems that with the new island, you have plenty of counter space. I would leave the doorway in place.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Could you turn your island so that it runs parallel to the FR and put the sink and dishwasher in the island? That way, only your fridge would be in that walkway, your cooking and cleaning areas would be out of the traffic.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You just gave me a great idea. Eliminate my front door. No more salesmen or religious nuts. :D

Next? My mailbox! No more bills! YAY!

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

In looking at your hand drawn diagram with your revised plan, I think kgwlisa's suggestion is the one to use. If you move the FR door that is in the kitchen, you'll have a very functional layout. That would mean to shove the cabinet section that contains your cooktop/oven down to join up with the other wall of cabinets. Then use the space you have beside the relocated pantry to put the doorway into the family room there. I don't think you'd need a door on it, just leave it as a doorway into the FR. If the other FR doorway is too close, you can consider it a column and add moldings if desired to enhance that look. You might feel like why have two doorways so close together when both lead into the FR? It's because one goes to the walkway you'll create along the kitchen and one goes to the LR. I take it you'll be using the upper end of the kitchen room where the window is in your first bird's eye view as an eating nook, since the doors to the basement and mudroom would work better there. Perhaps you can even enlarge the window there to provide more light into the kitchen? JMHO of course without knowing your budget, etc. I think you'll have a kitchen you love!

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

I realize my suggestion would mean you'd have to re-do your cabinets to include something to handle a corner unit...which may be too late to do at this stage.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue, but if the traffic flow is better with the door, you'd want to keep it. Easy and multiple accesses to the kitchen is always nice, esp from the fr, and if there are a number of people in the house. Also, you've got a nice big window there, near the table -- nice. With only one window over the sink, you'd also get more natural light and openness in the kitchen, maybe the fr as well. The cross-ventilation between the one window and the fr window would be a plus too. Doesn't look like you'd be seeing a kitchen mess, either.

Not sure why you don't want it, I guess.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions.

We have decided to go ahead and eliminate the FR door in question. I have come to the realization that I'd rather have a very functional kitchen than a chopped-up version of one in the name of an extra doorway (which will only guide traffic into my work triangle, anyways.) I think life is easier with that door because our kitchen is currently on the other side of that space. Once we move it into the house more and its in its new spot, it will feel close enough to the remaining FR door that I don't think I'll even think about that other door. Plus... its nice to have a little corner to go hide in once in awhile that isn't connected to the rest of the house! It will add a sense of privacy. So - we are closing it and proceeding with a smooth, L-shaped kitchen with an island. I'll be back when its time to choose colors.

Thank you thank you.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!