Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aboc1212_gw

question about a) where to buy a W/D and b) returning them

aboc1212
14 years ago

thanks for all the help I've already gotten from this forum during our Great Washer/Dryer Search of 2009. today we visited one of the three high end appliance stores in the area (a small local store) and DH and i were absolutely shocked at how little the salesman knew about the machine we were looking at. they only sell 4 brands of washer dryers there: the asko, miele, bosch and whirlpool duet and he knew NOTHING about the asko. that did not instill confidence in us at all (not about the brand, but in the business). when i asked about a return policy if there were issues with the W/D (we are getting a FL and the laundry is on the 2nd floor) he said no, that we'd have to go through the manufacturer and it would be up to them

my questions are:

1) what is normal for return policies on a washer/dryer? is this what I should expect from the small local stores (his argument was that they don't sell 'used' equipment) and I will have to go through the manufacturer if we buy from them? or should I find a store that has a return policy. i guess i'm still worried about installation and vibration.

2) should this man's lack of knowledge about his brand be as much of a turn off for me as it is? maybe i'm expecting too much (though again - only 4 types of W/D in this place, and he was not new). in general i was not impressed but they do not contract out installation which i read in a response to another question of mine can sometimes be a problem (packed schedules = potentially less time focused on leveling that machine). then again, his lack of faith in a FL's ability to perform on a 2nd floor leaves me wondering if they would even TRY to properly level.

thoughts?

Comments (8)

• pepfun1
    14 years ago

I think they should be fairly knowledgable in the brands they sell. I just bought one last week from Lowe's and they have a 30 day return policy. The machine tangled my clothes into ropes so bad you'd thought I was trying to escape prison everyday. Took it back yesterday, no questions asked with a full refund. Bought a new one at Sears and they have a 90 day policy, but hopefully I won't have to use it. Good luck
    Pep

• oregpsnow
    14 years ago

If a small, local store is not giving you terrific service then move on. There is little reason to deal with them if they don't. Avoid Sears unless you check them out in your area - many places they have gone downhill, their return policies vary and warranties are very costly. Lowe's is good if you have one, HD varies. I got my machines at Best Buy and they were fine. I would not rely too much on any salesperson these days. Most probably know about as much as you do. If you do your homework here and on the mfg sites you should get good information that will help you decide.

Many machines should not be on a second floor. There is no way to find out, unfortunately, unless you try it. Be sure you can return them if they vibrate your whole house. Leveling doesn't matter much on a second floor. Yes, they need to be somewhat level and have equal weight on each leg, but if they vibrate enough to upset the floor joists you will have trouble no matter what.

Good luck with your shopping.

• plumbly22
    14 years ago

I think you need to visit those other local 'high end' stores and see what their salepeople have to say. I found the small local store by me to be the place with the absolute best information, but at the time Lowes to be the best in combined price and extended warranty pricing... the small place would have met the appliance price, but their extended warranty was MUCH MUCH more expensive than at Lowes... so matching the price still didn't sway me to buy there...

• steve_a
    14 years ago

I do know something about Asko and installation issues: They state in their literature, and follow the practice: the warranty does not cover installation issues. They recommend using a authorized Asko installer. You should check the other manufactureres to see if they have similar policies. Your first move might be to call the Asko tech support line and find out if your dealer is an authorized installer; or who in your area is one. That said, I think you will like Askos, and my compact washer does not vibrate much. It's on the first floor, but over the basement, so it's on a wood floor.

• aboc1212
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks steve a - we are definitely interested in the Asko, also the Bosch. Plumbly, we do have another store we like so we are talking to them now and especially asking about return policy. I agree with oregpsnow - to me it seems like there is now way to know ahead of time if a machine will work. I've just read enough times on here about folks needing to take their machine back and I don't want to be stuck with something! We at least know we have repair people in the area for both and with a former dishwasher have had good experiences with the Bosch service.

• plumbly22
    14 years ago

aboc12212... I have a bosch set, 3+ years old now... mad ethe decisiojn to buy that based on the salesmen at our small local store, but like I said prior...didn't end up buying those there, although every other appliance I have has come from them... I wanted the extended warranty for the w/d, I usually never get it, but for the fl design I wanted 'extra' protection... if you find salsmen who know what they are talking aobut they typically can explain all the machines out there... keep looking for a 'good' store with knowledgeable salesmen...

• aboc1212
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks plumbly - I've read your positive comments about the Bosch around here. DH went to a 'good' small, local applianace store which I am fairly sure we will buy from (we got our DW there) and checked out the new Bosch (Vision which is replacing the Nexxt) and the Asko. His report is that the buttons on the Bosch felt less sturdy, like they might break and the detergent tray had very poor sliding action. Could be that the quality of construction has declined with newer (we LOVED our old Bosch dishwaser) or something to do with the floor model, but it was not impressive. We are currently leaning towards the Asko.

• whistle_gw
    14 years ago

pepfun1: Do you mind saying which washer tangled and twisted your clothes? And, what did you replace it with? I am looking to replace a 3 year old Oasis that twists and tangles.

Thanks, Whistle