Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangogirl_gw

Can This Fixture Be Rewired?

tangogirl
16 years ago

I purchased this Eurofase Starburst Chandelier months ago and now I learned that it hangs too low. The rod is 24 inches, and you can walk right into the fixture. http://www.eurofase.com/cutsheet.asp?CATNUM=12899&status=ACT

I cannot use this fixture in another room as all the ceilings are the same height. I called Eurofase which said it has gotten other customer calls about getting a shorter replacement rod but there is no such retrofit as they've tried it and it doesn't work.

I don't know why I didn't notice this as a problem earlier. Perhaps the store's ceiling were so high or perhaps the store retrofitted it with a shorter rod? I can't remember.

Any ideas on whether any electrician or metal working craftsperson can retrofit this fixture with a 12 inch chrome rod? I'm in NYC. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• DavidR
    16 years ago

I can't tell without looking at the fixture. It depends on how the rod is fastened to the canopy. If it's threaded into place, it might be possible to remove the rod from the canopy, cut some off, rethread it, and reinstall. However, if it's welded or crimped into place, that makes modification tougher.

A reasonably competent metalworking artisan could probably do something. I don't think it will be cheap though.

• tangogirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I got some more information from my contractor. The fixture comes in three pieces: Lights, 24inch chrome rod with a knuckle in the middle, and the base/transformer. The rod is threaded on both ends.

The electrician said he could easily rewire the fixture if I could get the rod shortened by about 12 inches.

Welding it may not be a good solution as it the welded area would look bad, but I'd be concerned that the weld would not be sufficiently strong to hold the weight of the light.

Cutting the rod and having it rethreaded seems to be the solution, but where does one find someone who can do it? Any recommendations would be welcomed as I may not be able to return the light, and I do love this fixture. Thanks!!

• remodeler_matt
    16 years ago

Check with local sheetmetal and fabrication shops. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but you may have to get the rod re-chromed after it is cut and re-threaded. If so, you may actually be better off getting another fixture, and perhaps selling your old one on E-Bay to someone with higher ceilings.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

I agree that cutting and threading is likely to damage the chrome, and re-chroming would be expensive. You could get a piece of stainless steel tubing, and skip the chrome altogether...

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Just a thought... how is that "knuckle" in the middle of the rod attached? The straight rods wouldn't be threaded into it, would they?

• tangogirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The rod is one piece. The knuckle in the middle is welded to the two shorter rods to make one 24 inch rod. It is not threaded in the middle. That would be too easy! ; ) If I could get a stainless steel rod with threaded ends that would fit, that would also be a great solution. If anyone has any recommendations for any local NYC metal artisans who could do this, I'd appreciate any contact information. Thanks for all the good ideas.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

You need to find a small machine shop that's willing to take on an odd little project. If you can find one, make sure they understand that the rod needs to stay as polished as possible - ask them to try not to scratch it with the jaws of their lathe chuck. Good luck!

• bocaceiga
    16 years ago

Here is nickel piping from 4" to 18" in 2" increments. I don't know if the diameter (3/8") will work for you but it's a place to start. BTW, a 12" pipe, threaded on both ends is $2.75 I think.

http://mainelyshades.safeshopper.com/504/cat504.htm?684

• ilitem
    16 years ago

Check to see if there is a lighting repair shop in your area. We used to do this for people on many fixtures and it is really not that difficult if they have the right equipment. They may even have the rod in stock. I know that we stocked many of these items due to fixtures having to be shortened.

• tangogirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! I'm relieved to learn that there is a solution so that I can use this fixture.