Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Need PS help plus votes for paint/rug for DD's room!

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

I am sending out a request for photoshop help for my 8-year-old DD's room as well as any other suggestions. DD has her "idea" of her dream room though is open to suggestions. I think having some virtuals would really help us make the best decisions so that she or I don't feel disappointed in the end result.

Some background on her room is it's a small room, 10x10, not that much direct light as I would like and it starts looking busy really quick with all of her paraphanelia. DD likes the aqua/lime combination and picked out the bedding herself. Last few weeks I picked out some vintage furniture for her on CL which will all be painted--either the existing seafoam color (which has more green in it for a true aqua) or white. Majority here is not to paint, I tend to agree, DD prefers white which I think she'll get board of in a few years.

I'm still shopping around for an iron daybed w/ trundle (either white or nickel) hence the mockup of the bedding we'd use on her existing bed. We'd like to use the FLOR carpet squares as we think that'd be the most practical in terms of cleaning and moving the trundle in and out. They don't really have an aqua color in their line, but several in the seafoam/teal colorway.

Oak bookcase in back is going to go. Lamp could either be lime (in pic) or aqua (on order). Have another set of panels--white sheer with aqua dots, final choice will depend on wall color.

What is really throwing things off is the vibrant walls there now which I feel skews the true color of the seafoam furniture. I'd like to get some sample paint on the walls, but am looking for a general direction for the next step.

So here are the options we are considering and would like to see PS'ed.

Option 1: all furniture painted seafoam (existing color needs to be PS'ed onto the nightstand--also pulls changed to nickel) and walls painted a light aqua. I'm debating if I should take in one of the shelves to have it colormatched and then have them mix up some sample colors for me both 2-shades lighter and 2-shades darker(is that 25%?). Alternatively, we think the color BM Barely Teal could work.

Option 2: All furniture painted white and wall color either the Jamaican Aqua or Blue Seafoam. We like the Tropicana Cabana also.

Desk: Thinking of keeping the two-tone look with the desk top and chair either a dark aqua (or 2-shades up from existing color) or white.

I don't think this is the right shade for a dark aqua top--need some help here.

FLOR: There are four samples I ordered that I think could work. Not sure if go for more contrast or keep colors more muted so room feels bigger and brighter. I'll attach a link to their webiste in case anyone has other color suggestions to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: FLOR Carpet Squares

Comments (14)

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lots of progress and it looks fun!
    I worry about the idea of blue wall.
    My pefered option is light, neutral walls with aqua ceiling.
    As an alternative, what do you think about painting the lower 3/4s of the walls white (to match the window trim), put up wood molding and then pain the top 1/4 of the walls in a medium blue/lime/aqua?
    That would give her lots of the color, but would allow the furniture and bedspread to stand out because they would have a white background.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

Something like this, but paint the wall below it white and the top aqua. If you used shaker peg board, it would give her a place to hang clothes and baskets of stuff, maybe even a laudry bag or a mesh bag of toys.

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/peg-rail-organizer

• seww
    14 years ago

What about a pale lime green on the walls?
    And aqua ceiling?
    Sue

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

valinsv,
    I am not really liking your Flor choices with the rest of the items.
    What about one of these greens of Flor.

{{gwi:1558716}}

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

How about canary house pet or sunflower one of the other golds on the floor and light gold walls? My sense is that the eye needs somewhere kind of neutral to rest.
    http://www.flor.com/service/flor/shop/item/House-Pet/60900609163.html?bcreset=1

http://www.flor.com/service/flor/shop/item/Short-Shag/1473402500-100054.html

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Delta: I love that chair rail organizer idea, unfortunately I don't think we have the wall space for anything like that. Almost all the walls will have furniture against them or back up to a door--except for the corner where the oak hutch is now which I'll probably put her easel there until she outgrows it in another year or so. I do agree she needs some type of hanging coat rack and saw a few iron with curlicue ones on eBay--but that's for the finishing touches. What did you think of the Barely Teal I have above? It's the lightest color on the aqua strip.

lyban: Hmmm... the lime ones do look pretty good. I'll have to look at those some more when I get ready to order my next batch of samples. DD prefers aqua with lime accents. Other option is this aqua rug on Overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Majesta-Shag-Rug-5-x-8/2870502/product.html

It's hard to tell from the pics, I apologize, but her room is very small. We currently have an accent wall, but I don't think it works in a room her size--also was thinking the same with an accent ceiling. I'm actually wondering if it'd be better to paint the ceiling the same as the walls to give it a more expansive feeling? As much as I like the seafoam furniture, I feel it's starting to pull this room in another direction. I was thinking the color that would really compliment it is a pale lavender... but that is not DD's wish.

Hopefully some kind soul will take pitty on me and lend some photoshop help so I know which direction to go for paint samples.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Val, I'm not really Val, I'm really not competely liking any of the flor tiles. At least not to the WOW factor that I think one should have for a little girls room. It is hard to tell for sure since the colors look different in some of the photos though. The darkest one seems to match with most everything, in all the photos, but not sure you'd want to go that dark with all else being lighter in color. I wish I could do a virtual for you, but I don't have the right program for copying colors properly to "paint" the walls.

I do have an idea that might work for the bed though, if the trundle can be completely covered with the bed skirt. Well this is if you can sew or know someone that can. Make slip covers for the ends of this bed and then use bolsters and covers that you can order from JCP. At the most these will cost seventy dollars plus shipping unless there's a free shipping going on. I don't remember if the last free shipping code is still good, but it called for $75.00 minimum order. Not much more to spend to get the free shipping if it's still good.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

The peg rail could be just 12 to 18 inches from the ceiling. It would function, essentially, as a colored border between white walls and a white ceiling. Furniture still could be pushed up against the wall. (If you have a door, you don't put pegs in that part of the board.)

In terms of the depth of color, it is not a light versus dark color issue for me. I like intense color. My S's room (not that much bigger than your D's) is ox-blood red. My thinking is that it is nice to have some place for the eye to rest. So if everything -- carpet, walls, bedding, furniture is aqua/limed -- it feels too much for me. That's why I suggest a neutral on some larger parts of the room. It sets off the color and lets the eye rest.

Any photoshoppers willing to help here?

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I think you've got enough turquoise going on and should do a green from the background for the walls.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. Just to clarify, I am considering these two options:

Option 1: walls very, very pale aqua with all wood furniture the existing seafoam, bed could be either white or nickel iron daybed. In the case I get a white iron daybed, I do not want white walls as there is no contrast.

Option 2: walls a deeper aqua and all wood furniture painted white.

Rug could be any shade lime or aqua or perhaps even a cream color. Drapes can be either white sheer or the lime/aqua combo. Lamp can be either lime or aqua. I do want a simple color palate playing off of the two colors in varying intensities.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Val

I think option 2 - option 1 seems to be having lots of elements that may be fighting each other - for example the rug, its not the right color/contrast - it's fighting the fun colors - I like what lyban posted - i think it's more fun, right contrast and better suited.
    Option 2 lets you change all the accessories when you tire of them or they wear out

fun project!

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

option 2

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also think Option 2 is the safer/more versatile option; however, I did want to explore the idea of a very pale aqua before commiting to paint the furniture. Perhaps a cream--though not sure if DD would like that or not. Would definitely need to show her a visual beforehand as that is not a fun color choice for an 8-year-old.

I think I'll head to the paint store to get a couple of colors mixed up--see if the paint salesperson has an suggestions how to lighten the existing furniture color and try that on the walls and next to the bedding. Then see if there is a rug that coordinates.

If not, then I know option 2 can work. Just need to pick exact shade of aqua and white for the furniture. I was thinking a creamy white rather than a true white. If I go that route, any suggestions for the desk and chair? All white w/ a fabric chair cushion or some sort of two-tone combination?

• trudyl_grower
    14 years ago

Val,

I am just finishing a room makeover with a similar color scheme for my 8-year old. I let her choose the wall color, but I chose the shade. It wasn't the deep (cookie monster)blue she wanted at all, but now that we are at the finish line she loves it.

We used Pratt & Lambert December Eve, mixed at SW. Even though it's a light shade, I took it back and had it lightened more. It's really a hint of blue, and with the wood floor and white trim it looks great.