Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

Air-jets in a laundry sink - worth it?

doofus
14 years ago

Hello!

We are shopping for a laundry sink, and between the cheap and available and expensive with long "lead times" have found some, that claim to use air to "gently lift off dirt from clothes".

Do they really work? Does it make sense to get them, if there is a regular washer and drier in the same room?

Thanks!
doofus

Here is a link that might be useful: Delicair Laundry Sinks

Comments (8)

• cynic
    14 years ago

I thought that was the reason you paid that much money for a higher end washer....

For $1k, I don't see any reason for it.

• xhappyx
    14 years ago

I frankly wouldn't spend that on a laundry sink. I just do like grannie has done for generations when I want to soak something. I just let it soak sans any fancy gadgets. I agree with cynic, isn't that what a washing machine is for?

• doofus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For $1k, I don't see any reason for it.

The actual street price is between $600 and $700... The thing is, there are more expensive sinks without any such features  you just pay for the aesthetics...

As for why this could be useful, I'd say, some really delicate items? Something, marked "hand wash only"... I just let it soak sans any fancy gadgets.

Perhaps, the bubbles (are meant to) speed up the soaking? Don't know  I thought, maybe, somebody here has used one of these already...

• sean_m
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if I'd want to use this with delicates or not. The bubbles create agitation, which in turn will cause the garment to rub against itself. For some of the more fragile fabrics this will cause wear and possibly pilling. I'm a fan of Aquatic's spa tubs, but not sure my laundry needs it.

I do have a sink in my laundry, but it's just a regular deep utility sink, where I can throw just about anything in there and let it soak if need be. Agitation's 100% manual (hands), which is fine by me.

• doofus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The bubbles create agitation, which in turn will cause the garment to rub against itself. [...] Agitation's 100% manual (hands), which is fine by me.

I'd expect manual agitation  and the subsequent rubbing  to only be stronger, than whatever the bubbles can cause...

Either way, this is all speculative, if nobody here has one of these already...

There are reviews online, but I'm not sure, if they aren't just skillful marketing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Softpedia review of Delicair sinks

• greenfingernail
    14 years ago

talking of sinks - we're not even looking at air-jets we're just looking to replace something of equaivalent size and even that's pricey!...

we have a 24x24x14 cement (or similar material) sink; it is 40+ years I'd think; looking to replace it I dont find any sink that deep and wonder whether the smaller ones will adequately hold the water from the washer-exhaust.
    Those that are reasonably big seem to be made of acrylic/composite stone-resin and such faux material; reviews by some users on the Home depot/Lowes sites seem to be borderline to negative. SO I thought we should just go with all natural materials like stainless steel or cast-iron - looked at a Griffin stainless steel scullery sink 25x25x14 but its about $700!!

Is that worth it?

• greenfingernail
    14 years ago

Thanks fahernheit -
    tho Kohler also looks pricey!
    wonder if something under 200 would be a risky bet - dont want the sink to swell or crack open, or overflow, nothing more..

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!