Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenza5064_gw

Use of an AIr Switch for operation of a garbage disposal?

Lorenza5064
11 years ago

Breezygirl has many wonderful posts of her beautiful kitchen. I have followed several of her threads. She has used an "air switch" for the operation of her GD. It appears as a button flush mounted on the counter top alongside the faucet. I am contemplating same for two reasons; one, it is cool and two, it seems more efficient than reaching for a switch on the wall behind or the cabinet below. The only negative I can think of is that it requires another drill out in the counter surface... What experiences have any of you had with an Air Switch? Function? Reliability? Please advise. Grazie

Comments (18)

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I have one and I love it. I don't know why the extra hole is a big deal. It certainly looks better than a switch on the wall. And don't get me started about batch feed GDs. i had one before and hated it.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

We love ours so far! We have a big window and didn't want to have to reach far for a wall switch... plus we were trying to keep the backsplash free of outlets. We ended up with one switch but that's fine : )

I don't think there are any cons to the air switch except for the hole as you mentioned...

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

It is a quarter inch hole and you don't take up a 2.5"x3.5" spot on your backsplash.

It is no less reliable than a switch on the wall.

My switch is white with SS ring on the edges on a mostly white countertop.

If anything it is more functional because you don't reach as far.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Love mine. I have 2. One at each sink.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

HI Lorenza! You're so sweet!

I have had two air switches for 14 months and find no negatives to them whatsoever. Yes, it's a hole in the counter, but a small one and much better than a giant switch plate on the wall IMHO. And, it's really the best functional option in an island situation such as my prep sink.

What's not to love about them? They're completely reliable.

P.S. Saw your note. Glad you're close to ordering cabs! How exciting!

• Fori
    11 years ago

No drippy hands on the wall.

• gayl
    11 years ago

Love mine.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

I love mine too. Only con - I'm tempted to use it more rather than compost - that button is so easy to turn on.

Hidden benefit: the other day, a fork slipped down the drain as the gd was on...very fast getting to that button to turn it off, rather than reaching under the sink, where the switch use to be.

• sarends
    11 years ago

We just installed one - we removed the upper cabinets between our kitchen and family room. Since we wanted to keep the miniature wall (7" high) as uncluttered as possible we moved the disposal switch from the wall to the Staron countertop (which we of course had to drill). We have had it for about one week and we love it:

1) Clean
    2) Easy and convenient to use

Good luck

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Like the pics above, my sink is in an island. So an air switch was really the only way to go. It's been in place almost three years with nary a glitch. I hilly recommend it.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I've had an air switch for a year, yet I still often reach for the switch on the wall. :)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

We've also had an air switch for about 15 months and love it - it's just right there where you need it. You know how the drips on your hand head south for your wrist and nearly make it to your elbow while reaching for the wall switch? No more and I surely don't miss it! I had some concerns about the switch itself accumulating gunk, but it doesn't, so that turned out to be a nothing-burger.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Adding my positive experiences to the chorus. I had one in my last kitchen. Planning two in this new one.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

A wonderful invention! If you can't put a switch nearby, an airswitch is the answer. They are mechanically and electrically simple, reliable, subtle. An elegant solution for modern kitchens.

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

If you switch to an air switch (say that five times fast), I assume you can use the existing wiring that currently goes to the wall switch for it, correct?

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I have a fiber optic switch, which is just like an air switch, only it has a sealed gasket so water can't go down it. Like air switches, fiber optic switches are available in several finishes. Waste King made mine, but it works with any brand of disposer. You should be able to see one in a store that sells Waste King GD's. You can buy them online, too, and much cheaper than in the store.

Either an air switch or a fiber optic switch is much easier to use than a switch in the wall or under the counter.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Nope. You won't need the wall wiring since the switch itself is not electrical. In theory, that makes it safer (although I've never heard of anyone being electrocuted with the GD switch!). The air switch attaches to a power box thingy that goes into the outlet where your GD plugs in.

• hlove
    11 years ago

Absolutely love it. Probably one of the most favorite things we put in when we remodeled! We actually still have the switch on the wall...it was in a hard to reach location, though. But I like that it's there so if my little ones want to help at the sink, I can turn the switch off (which they can't reach) to be sure they can't use the disposal.