Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Match Game

palimpsest
13 years ago

Here is a chair. If you were doing a room, which fixture would you place with it? What is your reasoning? ("I am doing a period room" , "I am doing an eclectic room", "I am doing a room with a lot of black" etc.) Although there is no right answer to which combination looks best, there is a "most correct" rationale for a particular combination.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

The chair has an Asian feel to me, and the first light has an Art Deco kind of vibe -if I squint, I can make out a Greek key pattern on the globes. So, if I were doing a sleek Deco kind of room, I'd pair the two together.

If I were doing a modern room, I'd pair it with the last light. The simple design of the light reads a little industrial to me, and I think it's boxiness is a nice contrast to the curves of the chair.

I'm no sure what I'd do with the middle light. It looks like microphones stuck on the end of pool cues.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Hmmm, although I am not wild about any of the fixtures, I would probably pick #3. The first is just not the right era-too victoriam albeit with a modern twist. I think the second one might be too light-weight with the chair which is also a light-weight piece. #3 seems to be the heavy counterweight for the lightness of the chair and might ground the room it is in. Does that make sense?

• ppas
    13 years ago

I'd choose #2. Its simple lines are reflected in the chair. They're both the same weight visually; both are open. Hope I make sense!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I would go with #2 because I tend to look for repeating patterns, a similarity in line and movement.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has anyone been influenced by era in choosing a fixture?

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I'd go with #2, because I like it best. I tend to just buy things that I like without being overly concerned about whether or not it "matches." If I love both things, well then they'll work out alright for my eyes and who cares what anyone else thinks.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I also would choose #2 as it's shape and scale are more harmonious with the chair. AND I like it best of the 3.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I have a feeling that chair is much older than we think....perhaps closer in age to #1. But this is really not my field of expertise so it is just a guess.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

For me, definitely #2. The crossing of the pieces on the light fixture mirrors the crossing on the chair. They're both simple, cool, and could be constructed by hand. And their colors are compatible.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

The chair definitely has an Asian flair, not necessarily a reason for the fixture to be Asian also. #1 looks too heavy, #3 too modern, so that leaves #2. It has a light/airy feel as does the chair. ;o)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Let's see...I think the chair is arts and crafts from the late 1800's and #1 is from the art deco period. So if I'm right, the chair and chandelier could easily have been purchased for the same home. So the chair and #1 would be my pick, designed for a period room.

#2 is giving me a Sputnik moment.

#3 is giving me Marcia Brady moment.

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

I would have to go with #1 because #s 2&3 are so darn ugly.
    There is a correct rationale maybe but I would just have to balance #1 with other pieces and go with what I like. Besides, the chair looks like it could be mixed in with several settings.

• loribee
    13 years ago

#2...both chair and lighting have touches of black.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

The chair is Asian inspired. Since the room has a lot of black, #2 and #3 are out. #2 has black accents and #3 has dark shades. So, basically too many dark influences to them. I would like #2 if it were all chrome.

Eclectic would be #1 since it has no modern influence to it and I can see it possibly working considering you mentioned period, eclectic, and a lot of black.

• User
    13 years ago

Definately not 2, between 1 and 3. Porbably I would pick no 3, it seems more the opposite to me with the chair, meaning the chair is sleek and light looking and the light fixture is chunky and heavy looking. I like opposites.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

don't particularly care for the chair or any of the lights and am NOT learned about era furniture!
    have to agree withlove-my-lilhome...would choose light #1 simply because i wouldn't choose either of the last 2!
    i personally wouldn't pair any of them with the above chair...but #1 'looks the best' with it to MY eye!!

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

I'd go with #3, I actually like it!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, are these chairs brother and sister? Mother and son? Grandmother and grandson?

{{!gwi}}

• camlan
    13 years ago

This is really hard, without seeing the room the chair and fixture will go in, or knowing what the other furniture is.

#1. This is the fixture I like the best. It seems to scream for a very high ceiling room. But in a huge room with high ceilings, that chair would seem lost, unless the other furniture is of a scale that works with the room. I think the two could work together and I like the contrast of the clean, unfussy lines of the chair with the more detailed work on the fixture. The chair would add cleaner, more modern lines in a Victorian room, without seeming out of place.

#2. To me, the fixture reads very modern. It makes the chair look a little more traditional, but still fresh. Probably the best match in terms of color and style. But the two of them together is sending the room into a very sharp cornered/angled look, which may or may not be what is desired. I do like the contrast between the natural materials of the chair and the sort of space-agey vibe of the fixture.

#3. I'll admit, I just don't like this fixture, so it's hard for me to look at it with an unbiased eye. It doesn't seem to work with the chair at all.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I go by the character of a piece. I think all three would go for different reasons. The chair is modern to me regardless of its age. Fixture 1 contrasts nicely because it has modern lines, but also has some ornamentation to give it some contrast with the sparseness of the chair. No. 2 I think most closely matches the chair because of color and sparseness. Number 3 has the sparse modern lines of the chair but contrasts with the chair because it is bulky. I think all three could work according to what else you put with it. I like to mix things up - to me it is something I can live with a lot longer because its not boring.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

English Great grandfather and Danish grandson.

Your pics are giving me secret clues! Am I on the right track?

• gailmmatt
    13 years ago

I am going out on a limb here to suggest the chair works with light #3. Although the weights are different, I am seeing a weave type pattern in the light covers which mimic the pattern on the chair. Also the square shape of the light is echoed in the shape of the chair seat and back.
    As to the two chairs, I'd say they are sister and brother and that the whole package is MCM-ish!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Ah, here's the first part, found it too late, I already guessed 2 on the answer post, without benefit of pictures. Godwin is among my faves of all time, a bloomin' genius like Christopher Dresser.
    Casey

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like #1 because chair and light both seem sophisticated to me.
    #2 is just off somehow. As someone already said, if it were in chrome, I'd like it.
    #3 is very 60s-70s and I just don't like it.