Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Part VI: Reupholstering these Head Chairs and Handling the Mantel

KevinMP
11 years ago

I decided I'd restart here so that I can use high quality photos (I replaced my lost/stolen camera) and start fresh with the fabric samples I will be getting over the next few days.

Here's the space so far:

{{gwi:1575710}}

{{gwi:1575711}}

{{gwi:1559089}}

{{gwi:1575712}}

{{gwi:1575713}}

{{gwi:1575714}}

{{gwi:1575715}}

To show you that even the original hem has some puckering, and to put to bed the issue of how well (or not) the fringe was sewn on, you can see from the above pictures and below that it's not much of a big deal. I'm also going to add weights to the corners, which should help.

{{gwi:1575716}}

And here's some fabric I picked up from JoAnn. It was on sale for 60% off (which makes it only $12 per yard, and it feels really nice). The pattern is nice because it's kind of Greek-key-ish and it's masculine, but it may be a bit gold (looks good with the rug, walls, trim, and drapes, but not so much with the side chair fabric).

Anyhow, it's a start. I'll add more as they come in. But, in the meantime, what do you think about this one?

{{gwi:1575717}}

{{gwi:1575718}}

{{gwi:1575719}}

{{gwi:1575721}}

{{gwi:1575723}}

{{gwi:1575724}}

{{gwi:1575725}}

{{gwi:1575726}}

{{gwi:1575727}}

Comments (137)

• Vertise
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the colorful plaid sitting there surrounded by white because of the colors but I think it might be very loud and discordant sitting on the rug. It wants as much attention and is too similar (colors, large pattern). I think they will muddle together in a kind of confusion.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I wish you could reupholster the chairs in that blue and beige diamond fabric. That was my favorite.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

The clock on your mantel looks so very nice.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

In looking back at those photos of the RL rooms, I think the fabric that is from your existing furniture, or was it pillows, looks very nice. Here's why...it doesn't over power the rug, and seems to bring in both the reddish/coral and grayish blue tones. In the RL room with the red plaid chairs on the rug that has a lot of red, more leg is showing on the chairs, so it breaks up the look more than I think your chairs would.

I also love your new mantel clock...very classic.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

My favorite so far is the first fabric type/style geokid posted at 14:36. I like it because it is both manly but stylish for all. I like it because it has just the right amount of edge that blends the more modern painting with the traditional. I like it because it is not as expected, has a personality of its own without screaming to be boss or completely changing the dynamics. I like it because I can picture some cool burnt coral tapestry pillows on there so just a touch of the pattern shows but enough for people to walk into your room and think you are genius.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I really like the Irvington. I think it's my favorite of all of the fabrics so far. It seems like it has the masculine Ralph Lauren look you seem to be gravitating towards. The fabric seems bold enough to stand up to the new side chairs with the dark wood, but not so dark as to overpower the room. I also think it pulls out the more orange (vs pink) hues in the rug in a good way. I don't think I'm liking the fabrics that have dominant orange or coral very much.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like that Irvingto too! First pick is Geokids 1st navy large print at 14:36 with some tapestry pillows (because I like some unexpected) and second pick is the Irvington.It seems like I saw some fabric online close to geokids at Momentum textiles online but I am not sure.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

My favorite is the one from your sofa. :) I have to say though, you were so fast on everything else. It is nice to see I am not the only one having to spend time finding the best choice for fabrics for a project! I just got my first batch of samples yesterday and I don't think I like any of them. :(

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still waiting on the "navy" RL Foxberry plaid and a few others, but I got a bunch more today.

Here's the original coral herringbone (it's not pink, trust me, it's brick red). Still looking good to me. $55 per yard. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/more+fabric+collections/thom+filicia/basin+-+thom+filicia+fabric+-+coral.do

{{gwi:1575797}}

{{gwi:1575798}}

{{gwi:1575799}}

{{gwi:1575800}}

{{gwi:1575801}}

And the original navy herringbone (more textured than the style the coral is in and $18 less per yard at $37). Still looking good to me. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/more+fabric+collections/thom+filicia/marcellus+-+thom+filicia+fabric+-+indigo.do

{{gwi:1575802}}

{{gwi:1575803}}

{{gwi:1575804}}

{{gwi:1575806}}

{{gwi:1575807}}

{{gwi:1575809}}

A new RL plaid that was not in stock before (Colter Falls Plaid, color is Ancient Tartan). $64 per yard. This may be discontinued because I cannot find it online.

{{gwi:1575811}}

{{gwi:1575813}}

{{gwi:1575815}}

{{gwi:1575817}}

{{gwi:1575819}}

{{gwi:1575821}}

A coral chenille tweed (expensive at $60 per yard). Okay, but a little like an "old" woman's suit. $65 per yard. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/more+fabric+collections/thom+filicia/lyncourt+-+thom+filicia+fabric+-+coral.do

{{gwi:1575823}}

{{gwi:1575825}}

{{gwi:1575827}}

{{gwi:1575829}}

{{gwi:1575831}}

A dark navy herringbone. $53 per yard. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/nate+berkus++%3Cfont+color%3Dmaroon%3Enew%3C-font%3E/shop+nate+berkus+fabrics/brixby+-+nate+berkus+fabric+-+indigo.do

{{gwi:1575833}}

{{gwi:1575834}}

{{gwi:1575835}}

{{gwi:1575836}}

{{gwi:1575837}}

{{gwi:1575838}}

A navy pattern of some sort. $47 per yard. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/nate+berkus++%3Cfont+color%3Dmaroon%3Enew%3C-font%3E/shop+nate+berkus+fabrics/santa+maria+-+nate+berkus+fabric+-+prussian.do

{{gwi:1575839}}

{{gwi:1575840}}

{{gwi:1575841}}

{{gwi:1575842}}

{{gwi:1575843}}

{{gwi:1575844}}

{{gwi:1575845}}

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Of the new ones, I like
    1). Colter plaid
    2) navy herringbone

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

The last one, the diamond medallion is nice. It has more life to it than the others. It would flow nicely with the Greek key mirror you plan on using in another area too.

• geokid
    11 years ago

If you go with the last one, position the diamonds differently. Right now it looks like the back of your chair has big owl eyes. I cannot unsee that. :)

jterrilynn, the plaid I posted is one of my favorites too. I'd buy that chair in a heartbeat if it had different lines.

• kellysar
    11 years ago

My two favorites are the coral chenille and the original coral herringbone.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Navy herringbone does not overpower your room nor your rug, blends very nicely and the chairs, if need be, could be moved into another room without seeming obtrusive or ostentatious.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that last one is way too busy for all surfaces of a smallish dining room (14 x 16). I cannot believe any of you would vote for that! I really like the navy herringbone now that the other elements are in the room, and, as you said, it's more versatile. I also like it because it's not blue and white; it's blue and a goldish-grayish color with a little texture. It'll hide stains and pet stuff better. I like the coral herringbone a lot, too, but it's coral and red with no texture but a super soft, comfortable feel.

Without the Foxberry plaid, I'm leaning oward the navy herringbone, then the coral herringbone, then I don't know (Colten tartan?).

The new RL plaid is nice, too, but it's a bit large scale and may read a little too green. It's not fuchsia though, it's red.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 23:01

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I laughed aloud at "old" lady suit (especially because I'd totally wear it --hiding face in shame!).. I like the original navy herringbone, the coral chenille and the Coltan ancient tartan. I also like the Robert Allen Irvington plaid. I am not sure of my order of preference.. I want to prefer the tartan/plaids but the fuchsia is throwing me off in the Coltan and the rust is throwing me off in the Irvington... though I like how the rust works with your wood tones.

Again, i am not much help. Are you leaning towards one?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Hey - you brought the diamond home! lol!

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

I'm late to the party & haven't read volumes I-V of your upholstery saga, so I apologize in advance for offering anything that's already been said. I like the navy herringbone and the tweed, and I've realized it's because they bring in a texture that's noticeable from a distance. I don't really like the idea of more coral, because the rug is such a showstopper it brings in enough coral on its own. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ralph Lauren seem to always bring in some leather element. How about a knife edge trim in leather? Maybe even the whole thing in leather??

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Natebear, you're not too late. Parts I-V were not just about this. It started with a new rug, and there's been furniture changes, lighting changes, drape changes, mantel changes. We're just down to upholstery.

I'm still thinking of a leather gimp with nail heads, but I don't want to go overboard. I'm going for a classic but not frou frou look that fits with the rest of my home and is comfortable, that's all. And no pink.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 23:38

• teeda
    11 years ago

I like the original navy herringbone, with leather gimp and nail heads.

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

I think any of the 3 herringbones are winners. Coral if you want the chairs to stand out, original navy if you want them to blend. But of the 3, I think I like the dark navy herringbone the best -- I like that the stripes stand out more as kind of a secondary pattern when looking from a distance -- you don't notice the herringbone, but you do see the vertical stripes. I think that gives the chairs a hint of formality that the other 2 fabrics don't have, and I think that hint of formality goes better with your new table and side chairs.

• User
    11 years ago

The original navy herringbone is lovely and looks like it will go nicely with the side chairs as well as the room as a whole. I really like your house and sense of style, very nicely done.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 20:04

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Ummmm...have any of you ever googled "leather gimp"? Well, let's just say my search didn't come up with any furniture. *clears throat* Anyway, could someone post a picture of what a gimp trimmed chair looks like. I'm just curious.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Gimp won't get results because gimp is a type of braid, but I think what Kevin means is a self Welt in leather. Under tacks, there is often a flattened kind of welt in leather to finish the edge and the tacks are placed through this.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I just spend way too much time reading this thread... I really need to shower and get out the door! :-)
    Anyway - I'm in the midst of searching for the "perfect" fabric for a chair as well, so I totally get it.
    I love a large scale DARK plaid for the room. The painting is awesome - and I think you should pull from that, rather than the rug. You showed so many fabrics, I forget the ones I really liked - but the last one is nice. I like a darker fabric. I also like the idea of a coral - but a DEEPER tone. Like this:

http://www.leeindustries.com/fabricdetail.asp?id=090039244136165219130

I like the fabric for the chair seats that you showed in the beginning of the thread (for the seats - not the side chairs)

Check out Lee Industries website. They have a TON of great fabric.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

My vote is the following:
    1. The $90/yd blue and beige diamond
    2. The original Navy herringbone with Navy suade welting. I think it brings a lightness to the room where as the second Navy herringbone looks darker. This fabric will allow your rug and accessories be the star of the room instead of the chairs, over time you won't tire of it like you might a plaid, and as someone mentioned, the pattern will transition easily to other rooms if you need the seating.
    3. The Irvington plaid -- Nice flow with everything even if a little on the orange side.

I noticed when Ralph Lauren uses plaids in your two examples, he limits the amount. For example, there is leather on the chair seats in the first picture and in the second, some of the other dining chairs are in a herringbone complementary fabric. I'm just concerned that two chairs with overall plaid in a small room is too much of a good thing. However, your decorating style is far better than mine will ever be, Kevin, so go with your instincts.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I don't know, on my monitor the navy herringbone looks a bit dull, but you say there is a gold color to it. As someone else said, they would be versatile with the rest of your home and they blend nicely. I think whatever you get if you can use them in other rooms also you would get the best value. Ditto if you did the nail heads it would add a lot. Its my thought that the chairs shouldn't stand out too much as in the coral color. This is great looking at all the fabrics, I am living vicariously decoratively speaking in your post.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I love the herringbone, but it looks grey/brown on my monitor. If it reads navy in your room, I think it could be spectacular. I also like the window pane plaid idea, though. I am thinking maybe my very large antique wing chair might be a candidate for herringbone. Hmmmm.

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Thanks, Pal. I can picture it now. I think I got my terminology wrong too. My upholsterer calls welting a knife edge. That's probably wrong. Anyway, I meant leather welting. As Texasgal47 suggested, navy suede welting sounds nice and then add the self welt in leather with tacks along the bottom?

Regardless, I think it's time to start volume VII with new pics of the most popular choices. :)

• PRO
    11 years ago

OK, I'm going to throw this out there since you're going to recover the chairs anyway. Try the opposite of traditional.

I suggest having anyone who stops in sign the chairs. Family, the postman, friends, Jehovah's Witnesses knocking at the door, a tiny paw print from your cat.

Something like this would be the result. Could be kind of interesting.

This post was edited by deedee99 on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 12:02

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I couldn't help myself and came back to look again. My vote is for "The original herringbone" Price is right, too.

Since it reads more of a solid, you can always add a lumbar pillow for some interest: (bring out your gold/coral tones) Inexpensive way to add a pop

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Still love the coral, now adding the navy herringbone. Nix that last diamond pattern asap since it's too similar, and too close, to the diamond in the rug........makes it appear you're trying too hard.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Like the navy herringbone the best. The coral is too 'sweet' for my taste.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Deedee, thanks for your suggestion of the "autograph chair." I laughed my head off when I saw and read your post. With your sense of humor, you're welcome at my house anytime you happen to be in Houston. I just may start a fabric autograph board to be hung above my desk--love the idea!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Why thanks Texasgal47! Every room needs a touch of humor don't you think? I have a 9'x12' chalkboard at work that people sign and it's the life of the party. If I'm in Texas I will happily sign your board!

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I like the coral herringbone and also the last diamond pattern because it imitates the pattern of the rug very nicely. How about one of those as the chair and the other placed on one side of a small rectangular pillow with navy velvet one the other side. When will you make your decision?

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Kevin,

My vote is for the coral herringbone with navy velvet or leather welting.

You have not eliminated the coral herringbone yet. Does that tell you something? It's one of the originals you posted. Go for it and put yourself out of all this pain. LOL. Yikes!

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Another opinion. Just what you need.

I feel the last diamond print fabric ( or bandana print, see link below) doesn't go with the rug and looks too casual for the room.

The colors in the Colter Falls Plaid are nice, but I've discounted it for 2 reasons. I'm concerned about the repeat on that darker stripe. It's a very pronounced stripe and your chairs are narrow. Where would those stripes fall on the chair if you did them vertically? Would they be balanced or get tucked in at the corners? Then I started to think of doing them horizontally and took another look at the corner of the room by the window. You have an a lot going on linearly there. You've got the shelves, the mantel and the grids in the window plus the horizontal lines in your painting. Too much going on horizontally I said to myself. Then I thought you're going to have the same problem, if you can call it a problem, with any plaid. So then I also discounted the plaid in your pillow fabric which I liked by the way.

I can't comment on the navy herringbone, because except for the close up, it reads gray on my monitor. You're there, and if you think it works, it probably does. The coral herringbone was nice and definitely goes with the room, but like some others here, I feel you already have enough of that color in your rug and painting to suffice. I like the old lady tweed, but that might be too feminine for you. Did that come in other colors? Is the weave too loose for your cat? 'Just wondering. One thing I liked about it was it was light and would be nice in there for all 4 seasons. I worry that if you go too dark, since you already have dark walls and curtains, it might not translate well in the humid summer months.

Here is a link that might be useful: bandanas

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody.

The cat has no front claws (fortunately for my clothes, bedding, and massive investments in furniture)!

I regret posting the pictures of that last navy diamond fabric almost as much as I regret my attempt at a humorous thread on the oval office, which, to my surprise and disgust, turned into a short-lived, and irrational, World War III midday. I hated that fabric, but you all wanted even the ones I was holding back, so I did it anyhow! There's no way I'd use that mess on those chairs. It's just too much, too similar to the diamonds along the rug perimeter, and too white in the print.

I like the coral herringbone, but I just think it's going to be too much coral in one solid block (make that two since there are two chairs). The navy herringbone is the very first fabric I tried out, and it's my favorite colorwise--the variegated blues are perfect. But both herringbones turn solid from a distance, which isn't ideal: the coral turns a little pink, and the navy a little steel gray. In the end, however, I think they're both appropriate for the look I'm going for (even if they read like a library to some, no pun intended).

I also like the Ralph Lauren Foxberry plaid, but the damn sample hasn't come, and I need to place my order on Saturday in order to save 25%. I'm not that cheap, but it's worth it to save that amount of money. I'm likely going to pull the trigger on one of the herringbones or, even in the absence of a 6" square sample, the RL Foxberry plaid. I at least have had the postcard-sized sample to look at.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

Kevin,

Would one of those laids work with any of the herringbones?

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

I like the white chair. Your walls and drapes are dark and the
    white chair is bright and cheerful. How about shopping for a dynamite
    throw pillor for the back of the chair. The white chair is a great canvas
    for showing off pillows.
    I recently did a chair in a creamy white leather in our family room and love it,
    maybe that's why I like your chair in white.
    BTW, I like your style too.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

This is still my fav fabric style because it will not look solid from across the room. And, I still like my idea of keeping an off white chair but doing some pimping with piping.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 10:14

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't found that sort of fabric anywhere. And if you cannot find it here, it's not going to happen easily.

To respond to KD's post from another thread (which I think was meant for here?), everything above is upholstery grade with the exception of that burgundy houndstooth/plaid I hated. The blue-green tartan RL above is only light upholstery, however.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I am guessing that kitchendetective meant to post on my pathetic upholstery/slipcover thread. :) Your fabrics clearly look like they should be upholstery.

My nutty choices look suspect. :) I would of course order a sample to be sure they are heavy enough and I am not making the covers myself, so I am sure the upholstery place will tell me if my choice is too light.

I vote for the plaid again while I am posting. :) that blue herringbone almost looks grey to me from afar, but it might be my monitor!

• geokid
    11 years ago

I'm supposed to be packing, but I'm easily distracted.

Thebes Twilight

Cambridge Night

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Fabric

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

So that's where my post went! Amazing. It was meant for Boop.

• farmchic
    11 years ago

I still like the RL Foxberry plaid, and would be tempted to order it while it was on sale even if you didn't get the larger sample before. I think it will give you the look and feel you are going for.
    I'm also thinking you need some antlers for the fireplace.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Ok, can you start a post with just the fabrics that are in the finals? There are too many shown here and it is getting confusing. Thanks.

• User
    11 years ago

Still love, LOVE, coral fabric. #1

Navy herringbone looks like a waiting room chair.

New lighter coral looks exactly like a chanel suit from 1980 with fringed pockets, you are correct.

Colter plaid is brilliant as plaid, LIKE it in room but not as much as coral #1.

Last blue looks like a bandana from far away. Avoid at all costs.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Irvington plaid is my favorite. Followed closely by the original navy herringbone. I'm intrigued to see the RL Foxberry plaid. I agree with your assessment of all of the other fabrics. With all the coral in the rugs, I do feel like a fabric that reads coral will be too much.