Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohpup

Who else has demo today?

poohpup
12 years ago

Hard to believe the day has finally arrived. Took forever to clean out the kitchen. House is already a disaster and they haven't even started yet. lol Also hard to believe how much I managed to pack into my 2.7 cf refrigerator. Demo is expected to take two days. Have one small wall coming down and one weirdly placed cabinet coming out that chopped up my family room. Can't wait to see what it looks like when those are gone. I'll post some pics later.

Good luck to my fellow demo buddies! It will be fun to track our progress.

Comments (12)

• doc8404
    12 years ago

Number 5 son and I tore out the wall oven and DW cabs late last night. I hadn't realized how cheaply made they were - they literally came apart in my hands.

We discovered two new electrical issues that have to be taken care of and the previous owners stash of XXXXXXX rated magazines.

My wife picked one of them up, turned to one of the pictures and said "Look, they have the same wall color as we do."

She didn't even mention the gymnastics going on in the foreground.

I'm not sure what to think about that.

• Leslie.in.NC
    12 years ago

We're starting today too! Excited and dreading it at the same time. Ours is a relatively "clean" project in that all the walls, and floors are staying where they are. I will have to learn how to post pictures.

Good luck to you Poohpup and everyone else!

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

Good Luck Poohpup and to everyone else!!! hope all goes smoothly with no "surprises"!!!

keep us posted !!!

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Good luck poohpup! Demo was fun, now it's the long diy process of putting it all back together for us.
    And doc- LOL!! We've not found anything so 'interesting' in our walls, just some beer cans which may explain some of the shoddy workmanship. Like you we've found way more electic work to do than we were expecting. You never know what you'll find when you open the walls!

• Leslie.in.NC
    12 years ago

We're starting today too! Excited and dreading it at the same time. Ours is a relatively "clean" project in that all the walls, and floors are staying where they are. I will have to learn how to post pictures.

Good luck to you Poohpup and everyone else!

• JPRain
    12 years ago

I started mine last Friday. Tear out is fun if you have an old house, you get to see what came before. When we did my bathroom I found all these old newspapers from 1938.

This time around, I've found out that my house has been remodeled at least three times already as there are three ceilings and at least three floors. (Haven't finished tearing up the floors yet.) Nobody tore anything out, they stacked them on top of each other. The last layer of flooring so far is the ugliest black and pink (yes I said pink) tile you ever saw.

And there used to be a porch that someone just added into the dinning room. The dining room used to have an old green pastel paint that makes the whole look smaller, and I didn't think that was possible.

Have fun with it!!

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

We started in earnest on Saturday, taking two walls partially down. Gutted, it already looks better with the 360 views out our windows.

In addition to crawling over boxes and cloaked furniture everywhere, yesterday's tear out involved our soffits and ceiling - tons of insulation floating all over the house despite sheeting. DH fell through a part of our ceiling, popping a hole in a section we weren't expecting to resurface...actually very funny since no one got hurt. No surprises (like the reading material and refreshments found by some :), other than a dormant wasp hive. We are down to bare bones now...a nice 30 degree breeze wafted through the house last night. Electrician arrives today.

Despite the mess, this part is actually fun. DH is our contractor's 'helper' ... They seem to work well together (other than the ceiling mishap!).

Good luck to all the other demos going on this week. Will post pictures soon.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I busted up the tile in the middle of my kitchen yesterday, so it's sort of "demo".

I have an inlay that just does not go well with the soapstone. I never planned on soapstone counters to start with, but in the process ended up with them.

For a year I've been planning on taking out the dark brown inset and putting in a dark green one - bought the tiles months and months ago. Yesterday I finally starting the work, and now have all the tiles off, but it's going to take a lot of hard work to get all the thinset off, and more dust in the kitchen than expected.

The kitchen is still usable, though the small island is in the hallway for the duration.

• Maine_Mare
    12 years ago

We started our demo this past Saturday and got the cabinets and floor out! Next Saturday the plaster and lathe are out along with some walls. We'd do the windows, too, if it wasn't March in Maine :) I'm so excited!!

{{!gwi}}

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Poohpup, Maine Mare, Anna, JPRain, Leslie, and Doc - Our demo started last week and we went out to Frisco, CO to hide.
    Came back to no ceiling and the old soffits are just frame.
    GC moved our fridge to the DR. He left the oven and microwave in place for now - but eventually will have to borrow a MW and use our "convection countertop oven" - aka toaster oven on steroids!
    Keep in touch - I will try to post some pictures this weekend but so much going on between DM, work, and vacation! Try packing for 3 different events at the same time.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Here's some before and after demo pics. The place looked better the moment we took the wall down. Ceiling is now in and textured, lights in, and ready for flooring. We're getting there!

, {{!gwi}}, {{!gwi}}

• poohpup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maine_Mare looks like you're well under way!

a2gemini - I was wondering how it was going. Weird to leave town and come back to find everything gone. Looking forward to seeing pics.

AnnaA - Wow! What a difference with that wall down. You're going to love how open everything is.

Good luck to everyone else who started last week. Exciting times!