Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

Buying an Old House built in 1870

dreamgarden
18 years ago

We are looking at a house for sale that was built in 1870. We are going to have an inspection, but are wondering if there anything we need to watch out for in making our buying decision.

What types of issues would be dealbreakers for any of you who have already bought a house this old?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would be more worried about the quality of 'upgrades' than anything else.

Foundation problems can be very expensive to repair in older structures. Many jurisdictions will require a new foundation meeting the present code be used if the work becomes significant. The solution then becomes to jack the place up and install a new foundation. I have done this a couple times, but it is rarely worth the return unless you can perform the work yourself.

Unless you have a lot of experience inspecting older systems in houses, hiring an actual electrician, plumber, roofer, and even an experienced contractor from the area are liable to provide better input than an inspector. All the inspector is likely to do is tell you to hire a plumber, electrician, roofer, etc. for a more detailed analysis of any issues, and there are going to be issues.

Owning and repairing and old house can be a lot of work, and a lot of fun if you enjoy doing the work.

The showstoppers are based on your budget and knowledge more than anything else.

• dreamgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

brickeyee
    >Foundation problems can be very expensive to repair in older structures.

We looked at another place built in 1970 that had a fairly large crack in the foundation. While this house seems to be in much better condition, its 30K more on less than half the acreage. The real estate agent said it would cost $20K to fix it. My husband said it would probably be more. He also said the foundation of 1870 house looks like its in pretty bad shape and might be crumbling. At least judging from the overgrowth of large bushes right next to the house. The person living there now doesn't seem to care how the place looks. Shabby sign out front, overgrown vegetation, muddy pasture etc. However, the price is very good for the location and amount of acreage. Good advice about what the inspector would say. The place obviously needs a lot of work. We both enjoying working on houses but don't want to pay gobs of money for repairs on what could turn out to be a tear-down. Thanks for so much the detailed information. Certainly gives us more food for thought.

corgilvr
    >Does the home have any out buildings? It takes a while to paint a barn and insure it is structurally sound. If lead, asbestos, and radon are things you worry about, please have levels and inspections done before signing anything. Abatement can be very regulated and expensive depending on where you live.

It has several out buildings and they also look rough and dilapidated with the exception of a garage behind the house. It looks somewhat new. We will heed your advice about at least having an inspection for lead, asbestos, and radon.

The present owner boards horses. We saw two horses standing in the entrance of the barn. We assume (hope) it must be somewhat structurally sound if the owner is keeping animals in it. We haven't seen the inside of the house yet, but the outside is not so great. At least from the street. Lots of big bushes growing next to the front door so you can't even see it. The owner apparently doesn't use the front entrance. Its on a nice piece of land with lots of development in the area, so we are considering the investment potential as much as anything else. If it passes the lead, asbestos and radon tests, I think the price they are asking for it is fair. Of course we would like to be able to live in it , but don't want to have to spend every waking moment fixing stuff. Especially things that can be a health hazard like the asbestos, lead and radon. Otherwise, we aren't that picky.

I think its great what you say you've done to your house and very much appreciate the comment about "hand holding" along the way! I'd love to know how to remove and restore window sashes, etc. Sounds like its been a real labor of love. I agree about this forum, thats why I posted my question here. Lots of sensible advice from people who seem to know what they are doing. I've never renovated an old house, but I enjoy watching HGTV where they take a ramshackle place and restore it to its former glory.

It would be nice to see a pic of your house too. Do you have any before and after pics? Any plans for sprucing up your basement?

I will try to post a pic of this place when we get a chance to look at it. Probably this week.

• corgilvr
    18 years ago

Dreamgarden, if you send me an email (on My Page) I'll send some pictures. I don't want to scare you away from the house because of lead, asbestos, or radon. They were not deal breakers for us. I just wanted you to be aware of them. Testing is not expensive and could give you lots of peace of mind. It can also help you to take precautions while you work.

Working on old houses can start out as labors of "lust". Hopefully they become labors of love!

• dreamgarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We spoke to the real estate agent last night and found out that the property is being sold with a "life estate". The owner wants to sell and stay in the house until she passes. Her husband passed three years ago. Whoever buys the property would have access to the barns. I asked the agent how old the owner is (as well as the state of her health). She is 70. We want a house we can move into right away, not in 10 or 15+ years. I appreciate the very helpful answers to my questions. If we come across another older house, I will post in this forum again. Thanks again, brickeyee and corgilvr.

• bose01
    last year

Who insures houses that were built in 1870

• bose01
    last year

I own an old home built in 1870. It is totally renovated. I am having trouble finding a company to insure it. Any suggestions.