Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

My new rental house - furniture layout

threedgrad
15 years ago

I finally got the key today and went over to measure a few rooms. The living room is 16 1/2 feet square and there is a step down from entry hall. Window faces south .

Here is my initial layout. Why its important to figure this out now is that I cannot move that entertainment center and tv by myself once it is in place plus I have to tell the cable people where to install a new outlet.

Another question is can I use this glass top table which is now used in my kitchen but new house has no room for a kitchen table. The oval table in lower left corner holds my mother's crystal lamp. The rectangle just above sofa on left is really a drop leaf table.

Layout:

{{!gwi}}

Leather sofa and one of wing chairs:

Glass table

Comments (4)

• les917
    15 years ago

Threegrad, are all those pieces to scale? I could be wrong, but the table would appear to be larger than it is shown on your drawing between the two chairs.

I would be inclined to lose the smaller coffee table (the upholstered piece?) by putting it next to the entertainment center, and moving the couch in front of the stepdown over to the right to make a complete "L" with the couch on the wall. Use the larger coffeetable in the center.

Put the drop leaf table as the end table between the two couches (perhaps with one leaf up) and use the octagon table on the end near the entertainment center.

By moving the couches into a tight "L" I think you will open up the stepdown entrance, and create a little more breathing space between the couches and the two wing chairs.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Isn't your new house a three bedroom? Can't the table go in one of the bedrooms instead of trying to fit so much in the living room? What about the chairs that go with it? What would you do with them if the table goes in the LR? Could not the glass top table and two chairs be set up by a window in one of the bedrooms for having coffee and reading by the window?

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pieces are basically drawn to scale - I used AutoCad, then Illustrator, then Photoshop. Plus I measured most of the pieces. The wing chairs are probably slightly different in size. I just made them 3' square. The round table may be 2" bigger. The glass table may look goofy there too.
    The entry door is just below left corner of drawing. The right lower corner of living room is closer to hall to bedrooms and arched entry to dining room and kitchen. That's why I was trying to have stepdown entrance closest to lower right because it would be a shorter walking distance to rest of house. I wanted leather sofa centered directly across from entertainment center. It might be the architect in me that likes to create a line of sight.
    All this stuff may fit in drawing but once in the room it may not work. I will try what you suggest if this layout does not work.

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dilly, I wish that were the case - that is having extra space in a bedroom. That will be a challenge just to fit what I have.
    I want my guest room to be the first room down the hall since that is directly across from main bath. My son would stay there while I am in hospital in June. The 2nd bedroom on right side of hall has door directly across from master bedroom's door. That room will be an office.
    I could use the glass table and chairs out on the patio but I think the summer heat would destroy the leather. Would it?
    I already drove over with my two outdoor bamboo rugs and 2 of the patio chairs over to the house. And my sunshades will would perfectly with this patio.