Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcvoigt

Which way would you tile? Another decision!

dcvoigt
15 years ago

Ok the floor tile people are coming on Monday and I haven't even considered anything other than having them lay the tile square, but now am thinking diagonal would be a possibilty or even staggered.

The tiles are 16 x 16" in a light color in a pretty straight forward galley kitchen. Cabinets will be shaker style in light hickory with a brown speckled quartz counter. I don't want to detract from those aspects but would love your suggestions and of course pictures. Sorry, I don't know how to add pics yet, but will when I get the finished kitchen.

Thanks,

Cindy

Comments (22)

• Linda Ross
    15 years ago

I have the 16's and put them on the diagonal in a galley type of kitchen, best thing I did.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Diagonal always adds something to the room. Even staggered (or brick joint) will break up the modular look of the floor. But you need to get on the horn to your sales person or installer NOW, if you're going to change the pattern. Brick joint may not cost any extra, but guaranteed, diagonal will. Additionally, nothing throws a curveball to an installer like getting to a job, all set to start an installation, and even before he's started, things are changing.

• emknc
    15 years ago

We chose the diagonal brick-joint pattern for our 18" tiles and it looks superb. Our installer just sealed the grout yesterday, so the floor is officially finished! Mind you, we don't have a galley kitchen, but in any event this pattern looks outstanding. Good luck!

• jen19083
    15 years ago

Add another "diagonal" vote to the mix. I had my 18x18 travertine tiles laid diagonally, and I think it makes the room look larger. Here are some pics (the last one is pre-grout):

• User
    15 years ago

That diagonal looks really good! Cindy, what did you decide to do about your sink? Did you find one with a depth that would accommodate your height more comfortably?

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great photos. I am leaning towards diagonal; of course the installer have informed that it will be more cost--isn't that always the case.

Regarding the sink, I ordered the blanco silgranit double diamond with a sink grid for the side I use. Most influencial reason was I like their color of biscuit best--another decison based not on function, but I have convinced myself that it will be ok if I can get the sink forward enough in the countertop.

Another question, now that the drywallers are done and painting is done, I am wanting to clean the rest of the house. Will it get dusty again with the istallation of cabinets and quartz countertop? We can put plastic up again. Thanks,
    Cindy

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I vote for diagonal. I did it in a tiny galley kitchen - my tile guy thought there wouldn't be enough tiles going across for it to look good, but I love the way it came out.

HOWEVER - you might want to consider what you're planning to do with the backsplash. Originally, I had been planning on a diagonal backsplash, but it was suggested here that diagonal on the floor *and* on the backsplash would be too much, and after thinking about it a while, I agreed. I ended up with a 3x6 brick for the backsplash, much like Jen's photos above. (Great kitchen, Jen!)

Also, make sure you ordered enough tile. The rule of thumb is that diagonal takes about 10% more tile (because of the extra cuts).

• pam2007
    15 years ago

I agree with all that diagonal is the way to go. You will need more tile so make sure it is available and from the same lot# as what you have ready to go on Monday.
    Good luck....

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I am leaning towards diagonal; of course the installer have informed that it will be more cost--isn't that always the case.

Imagine wanting to be paid for the extra work involved.

• User
    15 years ago

That's great about the sink, I hope it works out for you!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I vote for installing the tile on the diagonal. I did it this way in my two very small foyer areas (entrance way and hallway between garage, utility room, powder room and coat closet. My tiny spaces look bigger and it just looks pretty. I can't wait to install tile in my kitchen when my busy season ends and I want my tile on the diagonal again.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I like diagonal but am thinking of doing a brick joint myself. we'll have a galley kitchen but the tile will also be in our entire living area.

• jtsgranite4us
    15 years ago

We went with a 50% staggered layout. Our limestone is 16x24 which looks fine set in that manner. I think a retangular shaped tile looks better with a staggered layout then a diagonal.

Here is a picture:

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

Are you installing the Mannington Adura? Are they 16 x 16 divided into 8 x 8 the way Duraceramic is? I know you were looking into both at one point. One thing that is stopping me from the Duraceramic is that I have a galley kitchen and want my tiles on a diagonal and don't think it will look right if I do them in 16 x 16 group of four kind of thing.

I think diagonal is great and is, as others have said, more expensive because of more cuts and more complex layout.

Pictures at the end of the day, please!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I laid my kitchen floor on the diagonal, and I charged MYSELF extra.

{{!gwi}}

Just sayin'. It did involve a lot of extra cuts and layout prep.

• granite-girl
    15 years ago

I agree with the diagonal vote. It does take more work & tile, so I hope you made sure they had enough in the right lot. We have it in our showroom with slate clips at every corner, it goes through a narrow walkway & looks very cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I was all set to ask you when you moved!! LMAO

There's another woman who does stone fabrication and comes in here all the time. In here, her name is Stone-girl, but in another forum I go into, it's Granite_Girl, and I guess I forgot for a second which forum I was in!! :-) I'd imagine you'll run into her sooner or later. She definitely knows her stuff.

Welcome to the fray!! We could sure use the professional help! (I mean concerning granite!!)

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am getting Mannington Adura in 16" square tile and having it grouted too. (For those of you who aren't familiar with this tile, it is not ceramic, but looks like ceramic and has the feel of vinyl--we didn't want cold floors here in Wisconsin.) Thank you for all your comments; it will be installed tomorrow diagonally. Today they preped the floor and established that I do have enough which is a good thing since this particular color is no longer available.

I am excited to have this phase done. Where in this website does it explain how to download photos? My kitchen won't look that great until cabinets and counter are installed, but if you want to see the floor I will be excited to share.

Again thanks for all the help.
    Cindy

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My tile is in and looks great. I love the diagonal choice. I do wish I had picked a larger grout width. In my concern over grout color and pattern I just went with what the installer suggested. It is a ting wider than 1/8". Oh well, it is minor and sure will not be changed.

Details, details, details.

Cindy

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Cindy - the thread linked below has detailed info on posting pics, Can't wait to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: How-to info

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

Cindy, is Adura 'divided' into 4 8 x 8 tiles the way Duraceramic is? I know you had looked at those also and we are getting ready to look at both. What swayed your decision to the Adura over the Duraceramic?

I'm glad it looks great! I can't wait to see it!

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sprengle1: My Adura is strictly 16x16" but was available in other sizes, at least some of the patterns are. I just wanted this size. I picked it it over duraceramic for 2 reasons: one, my local carpet retailer recommended it over duracermic--she thought there was more of a chipping problem with duraceramic and two, because I liked the pattern/color. I will try to post a photo.
    Cindy

Cindy