Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Lamp Height for Bedroom Night Table

frank1203
16 years ago

Hi, I am searching for a traditional brass candlestick lamp for my bedroom and want to know what an acceptable height is for a lamp like this to be placed on a 27" wide by 15" Cherry Night Table in my bedroom. I have see many lamps that are between 28" and 32" high (including the shade) and don't know if that would be too high for my situation. Do you think I need somethig a little shorter? If so, please recommned one. Opinions Please. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

I don't think you've told us how high the table is (it's not 15" tall, is it?). With a bedside lamp, you want to be able to reach it easily from bed, and you don't want it so high that you're staring up into the bulb when you're in bed. I don't know of a real rule regarding this -- it really depends on the height of the table, the height of your bed, and you. I would think that in most cases, something more like 24" would be about right, but again, it really depends on the height of the furniture. Another thing to consider is to try to get a lamp with a 3-way bulb so you have the flexibility of dimming the light.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I think you are with in an acceptable range. Our nightstands are 27 inches tall. Our candlestick lamps are 25 1/2 inches tall and 15 inches wide, it looks good. My living room lamps are 27 1/2 inches tall and 17 inches wide....I am considering moving those in the bedroom and I think they would work. I got my bedroom lamps years ago at JC Penny.

• les917
    16 years ago

One thing you might want to consider is how the light will be used. If you just want some illumination as you dress or prepare for bed, etc. then a shorter lamp might be fine. If, however, you are one to sit up in bed to read, you want to be sure the lamp is tall enough to provide adequate lighting when you are sitting up on the bed.

You also want it to be in proportion to the headboard, if any, that you have.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the responses. To answer some of your questions.. The actual dimensions of the night table is 27"W; 15" Deep; 27" High. I would say that the top of the headboard of the bed in proportion to the night table is about 25" higher than the night table.

Since the master bedroom has an overhead light, the lamp that I want to buy to place on the night table, will not be used for dressing, but more for reading while in bed. I am not sure if a lamp that is over 27"/28" in height would look to cluttered on the night table, but I agree with the comment that it has to be high enough to give off enough light while reading in bed. I just didn't want anything too imposing. Since I'm thinking of a candlestick type lamp (which is very thin), I suppose the area won't look too overpowering.