Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Restoring kitchen in vacation home...

fivefootzero
10 years ago

Hi. I've posted in the kitchen forum as well, but love the ideas I get here too.

We are trying to get some ideas on how to proceed with our kitchen in our home at the NJ Shore. The home sustained water from hurricane Sandy. Everything has been remediated, and we are now in the process of restoring the kitchen.

We have upper cabinets which are oak. I cannot replace with the same cabinets since they don't make them any more. My husband does not want to replace the uppers, since they are perfectly fine, and this is a vacation home. We are reusing the granite countertops that were there prior to the storm.

Would you try to match as closely as you can? Would you go in an opposite color direction? I was thinking of getting lowers in white and painting the oak on top to match. My husband does not like the two-tone trend of different color uppers and lowers either, so that eliminates that idea. The kitchen is open to the family room and sliders to the patio so I want something light and airy.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I usually can figure these things out but I'm stumped with this.

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think you've answered your own question. If he doesn't want two tone and you can't match, then you have to try to match style as best you can and have them both painted the same color...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If your husband doesn't want to replace the uppers, he is going to get some kind of "two-tone" thing, right? I suspect the only solution for that problem is to paint them. With the blue walls and the contemporary hardware you have on them, I think painting them white is a very good idea anyway, esp. for a house at the beach and a vacation home.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, the walls currently are white. They just appear blue due to the time of day I took the picture. But we are thinking of adding some color to them, and we're getting white appliances, The contemporary pulls on them were there from the previous owner. If I am painting the cabinets, I am replacing the hardware since then I can fill the holes. Just not my style.

Keep the ideas coming!!! Thanks for the help too!!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I wonder how difficult it would be to try to match them by staining them darker with gel stain. Java/dark espresso would do the trick but not sure whether you want such dark cabinets in a beach house.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about whitewashing or chalk paint? Or does that look like a paint job gone bad? At least it wouldn't be too much work and imperfections and grain showing through would be ok.

Or the real rustic look
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet make over with chalk paint

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Wow. those walls look really blue! Lol.

And phewf! I didn't want to say anything, but the contemporary pulls just do not go with the oak cabinetry!

nosoccermom, with whitewashing, wouldn't she have the same problem, i.e.: not matching tops and bottoms, because the grain does come through? She says her husband doesn't want a two-tone look.

fivefootzero, white walls and cabinets painted a color, or the other way around. Either would look great, I think. But if you're husband doesn't want to replace the upper cabs, I think painting is the way to go. And it really isn't that hard. Just be patient and do it right the first time so it adheres and you don't have problems down the road, would be my advice. Sorry to hear you got caught up in the Sandy disaster. You must have been frantic.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...thanks you guys. I do love the distressed look...reminds me of driftwood sort of. I don't mind the oak cabinets, and if I can get a match, I will leave them. But I'm not sure I'll be able to. Going to bring one of the doors to my cabinet guy to see what we can do.

Thanks for the kind words as well. Fortunately we didn't get caught up in the storm per se. We are in the process of purchasing the house from a friend who did though. Between the storm, and a divorce in the works, we got a very good deal and are finishing the job he started. The electrical and other systems have been replaced, all we have to do is finish work. Flooring, lower kitchen cabinets and appliances, and bathroom. All the walls have been painted white already, but we will be adding some color.

Thanks so much for the inspiration photos...I really really like the chalk paint and the distressed looking ones...will have to show hubby and see how he likes. I like the idea of the grain showing through.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Do they still make the cabinet BRAND of your uppers, if not that model? If so, I might go with the same brand for the bottoms because you might get the same graining, etc...then paint them.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Good luck. I think they're a fairly standard cabinetry, so I suspect you'll be able to find it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, I would think if you use chalk paint and a more distressed look, it doesn't matter if the oak underneath doesn't quite match because it'll be covered up. I always find that painted oak cabinets look like, well, painted oak cabinets, so I think it's better to make it really obvious that this is indeed intentional.
    Here are more pictures of whitewashed oak, a 19th century cabinet on 1st dibs.

However, I have to say that if your DH is like mine, he wouldn't ok putting any kind of paint on "real wood."

Below is a link to DIY Driftwood. No idea what this product is, but there are some nice pictures, also when you follow their link to the DIY Driftwood page.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Driftwood

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much...this helps a lot.

My DH doesn't mind painting the wood; it would bother him much more if they don't somewhat match or look similar. He's the matchy matchy type...which drives me insane at times. I'm breaking him slowly of it, but it's not easy.

I'm pretty sure the cabinets are Home Depot Mills Pride, which isn't made any more.

Keep'em coming...this is great!!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Agree with what others have said. Maybe you could replace some of the inserts with glass to help them blend with the bottom style.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

What if you did oak doors with square panels on the bottom rather than trying to match the arch? The square lower/arched upper combo is pretty common around here.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ineffablespace, that's what I am leaning towards. My cabinet guy sent me a pic of the squared lower doors. It's the finish that worries me though...but I'm getting really good ideas here.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I'm not really a fan of oak but that wood looks very good in the pix. I'd hesitate to paint because then you've added a maintenance issue to a vacay place. If you're the only one that uses it, then it wouldn't be a worry since you won't use it heavily and will maintain it properly. But just the painting will add more work for you or expense to hire it out.

Do you rent the place out? Renters, not all but many, are hard on things that don't belong to them and chipping may become an issue. Hired cleaners might not be as, what's the word I want?, careful as you would be when wiping up splashes, or not wiping up splashes, and that might prematurely age the painted cabs. They have a lot of units to turnover on a Saturday so tender loving care and a thorough cleaning might not be practical.

I don't have any helpful suggestions, I just wanted to throw out the possibility of maintenance issues for consideration. I'm sensitive to this because my cabinets are painted and showing their age, but these are in my regular house and get used harder than a vacay home.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hhinreno...thanks for the thought. We will not be renting though, only for family use.

I do have painted cabinets in my bathroom at my regular home and they are showing wear after about 7 years. I'm OK with touch ups here and there though.