Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

I love it, but what do I do with it? Root table

acdesignsky
15 years ago

I got an amazing deal on this teak root table. I love the look, feel, and even the smell of it! I had planned on using it as a coffee table, but with only 3 "legs" is not stable enough for kids to sit on safely. I have it tucked into the reading corner in our great room, but it's lost over there. I know it needs merchandising, but I'm at a loss. I don't want to cover it with clutter. It's low for a side table, which is throwing me off too. I wonder if the sconce is in the right spot, maybe the pic is too high, *and* I'm on the lookout for a bold graphic print lumbar pillow for the chair to break up the sea of brown.

Help!

Comments (5)

• sailormann
    15 years ago

IIWM...

I'd put an indoor tree behind the chair that was as tall as, or a little taller than, the picture on the wall. I'd adjust the lamp so that it was peeking through - then I'd get a nice brass planter about 16" diameter and put that on top of the root table with some cascading greenery coming out of it.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

What does it look like on the other side of the chair - if you put it between the bookshelf & chair? Chair under the picture? The chair looks smooshed into the bookshelf.

If that doesn't work - then I would lower the picture so it is more in relation with the table - which IS really cool!! - I would add some sort of taller plant towards the back of it (real plant not fake) then you would still have room to set a book & drink down towards the front of the table. I think that table calls for something organic which is why I don't think you need fake plant!

Without knowing the style of your room.....WS home..
    {{!gwi}}
    Picking up the colors of the flowers from the next print.

Smiles:)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

That little table is gorgeous and a one of a kind. It should be feature as a unique focal point not tucked into a corner. Can you use it as a coffee table? It would look so lovely in the center of the room instead of smooshed between the chair and FP.

I would put a round glass top on it. Something that goes out at least 8" from the widest part. You don't want the edges to hang too far though. Get thick heavy glass for the piece. Beveled edges if possible. A chunky piece like that needs thick glass to visually balance it and also make it more functional. This will also make it a bit higher and easier to use.

I would slide the chair over to the right and a tiny bit forward, and make it part of the seating pit around the FP. That way the bookshelves will show off. Put a floor lamp to the left of the chair to fill in the space. The wall lamp needs to go elsewhere. Place what ever art you chose for the wall in relation to the floor lamp shade.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Another vote for a glass top whether or not you leave it by the chair OR use it as a coffee table.

As for accessories -- the only one that I can think of is a pile of dark leather books. And a martini glass ... (thats just MY opinion of course! LOL!)

Or perhaps a bright green glass bowl? Or vase? filled with tall herbs like rosemary?

Jan

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could add a glass top, which may have the added benefit of keeping the kids from sitting on it. It's completely sturdy and level unless you put too much weight on a certain spot, then it tips over.
    As you face the chair, to the right is a fireplace. I tried to leave enough space to have access to the books while still incorporating the chair in the rest of the living area. I'll try dilly's idea of pulling the chair way forward into the main seating area.
    The wall lamp was a new addition that I never have really liked in that space, so I don't mind getting rid of it.
    I have a tall ficus I could try out for greenery. I swear I kill anything green, so I never have plants in the house. I'll also move the pic down a bit. As far as other accessories, DH does make a mean martini!
    Here are some older pics of the room. It's still really bare and stark. I've been looking for the perfect rug since we moved in, so everything else is on hold.

I love that pillow! The orange scares me, but it's just a little splash. This from someone who has always loved color but really wants to paint, bleach, and cover every inch of the first floor white a la Darryl Carter