Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriavine_2010

Has anyone ever received replacement cabinet doors?

plumeriavine_2010
14 years ago

When you received your cabinet replacement doors from your cabinet manufacturer due to warranty issues, did the dealership take back your old flawed doors or did they leave them with you?

Comments (14)

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

We had Kraftmaid doors with some damage that we purchased for a vanity cabinet in our master bath. Not only did they not ask for the doors back, they simply took my word (via the Lowe's kitchen department) for the fact that the finish was not done well. Easy peasy and they UPSed the doors right to my house. In fact, we had taken delivery several weeks earlier and only discovered the damage when I could get a better "angle" on the finish. I had signed off on them when they dropped them off and still, no questions.

• susie1010
    14 years ago

We have had 2 replacement doors from Omega / Dynasty. The first was a custom door that came in the wrong size. We never asked to keep it. The second was ordered when the hole was drilled in the wrong place for the door pull. The door happened to be the same size as the end panel next to the sink. We had not planned to use end panels, but our KD asked if we wanted to use it and order a 2nd one for the other side of the sink. Because our wood was Knotty Alder, we filled in the the hole that was drilled with a touch up paint and sharpie and you could not tell. Now we have end panels that finished off the cabinets nicely. We did pay for the 2nd panel. BTW, this was a good example of the kind of work that was done by our kitchen installation company (Stuart Kitchens in Baltimore). Their carpenter probably could have just filled in the hole and not said anything. We also kept our small sample door for future use, just in case.

• User
    14 years ago

My cabinet company sent the wrong doors for my laundry room, and then told me they didn't make the ones I wanted any more. Apparently, the GC made the decision, without talking to me, to take delivery of the wrong doors.

I ended up ordering replacement doors from a door company, and the cabinet company took their doors back. Good riddance. I did end up with a few extra shelves and a drawer front that I paid to replace, and they left extra pieces of molding and trim. Guess I'd already paid for those!

• night_jasmine
    14 years ago

Several doors were replaced due to problems.

• squigs
    14 years ago

Kraftmaid sent me new pieces that needed to be replaced, to my door within two weeks I think, and never asked for anything to be returned. I would have gladly given them back though. they are even coming out to do some minor tweaking for some small issues. Kraftmaid has been great to deal with.

What are your dealers telling you?

• plumeriavine_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My dealer said that my cabinet manufacturer wants the dealer to pick up the fridge panels that are the wrong style and the wrong size.

I asked for this to be put in writing from the manufacturer, but now I've been told that the manufacturer won't write the letter and it is just their request.

I wouldn't even mind giving the manufacturer the incorrect fridge panels back if it were an even exchange. I can't imagine why they need them back. They know what they made.

So that is one issue.

The next issue:

I have at least 13 cabinet doors scheduled to be delivered and installed next week by the dealer that are manufacturer replacements for defective doors. All this was paid for long, long ago.

I don't want to get into a tug of war with the old doors, so it would be useful to keep them on hand just in case.
    I anticipate that the dealer may claim that the manufacturer wants them back, so I do want to know what other people's experiences are.

I am not returning the doors for a refund presently - it sounds like cabinet manufacturers do not generally demand a return.

• kompy
    14 years ago

It really depends on the cabinet line and their policies. I know of a few custom manufacturers will ask for them back. One line I carry will charge for replacements and then refund your money when they flawed/damaged items are returned. I don't think it has much to do with NEEDING them back, but to discourage dealers from taking advantage. Custom does cost more and replacements are costly for the higher end lines. I think they also want them back to see what was wrong and document problem areas in their factory.

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

The only one they didn't leave with me was one where the replacement didn't match the cabinets. They sent that door to the manufacturer and I didn't get it back. Not that I wanted it. I have 4 or 5 doors kicking around my basement storage area. I don't know what I'll ever do with them.

Totally Confused

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I have Schuler cabinets from Lowe's and had to have one cabinet replaced that was constructed of particleboard instead of plywood, and one door and one drawer face replaced due to cracks. All the replacement pieces were shipped to my house within two weeks and they did not want the old pieces returned to them so I still have them.

• mariofo
    14 years ago

I have diamond cabinets and they didn't want them back. I have several fridge panels as they didn't match right. It took them 3 tries to get them to match. My KD did not order them when he placed the large order for the cabinets and they were made at a different time. The glazing was very different.
    They did make it right and I am happy. I kept the extra doors, but have no idea what I will do with them!

• squigs
    14 years ago

I wouldn't have a problem with returning the doors and door panels. what would you want them for anyway other than to document your problems. I do think you should carefully photograph and document everything before it goes back though.

• bbtondo
    14 years ago

Do NOT give anything back or any more money to these people. It sounds like you've decided to still deal with these morons. Good luck.

Barb

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

We have Kraftmaid (thru Lowe's) a drawer front( did not look right to the installer) and a cabinet door (supposed to be glass) were removed by the Lowe's installer (I don't know what he did with them). Kraftmaid UPS'd the replacements to our house within a week!
    We received excellent customer service from Kraftmaid.
    The initial came in ahead of schedule, 4 weeks versus 6 weeks!

• teresa518
    14 years ago

I had the same experience with Kraftmaid....They didn't ask for the doors back and sent the replacements promptly with no question - also through lowes.