Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzienj

IF you dont have a mudroom- where do backpacks go- kids

suzienj
14 years ago

I dont have a mudroom and not a lot of closets--- do you have a piece of furniture that holds the kids back packs? What does it look like? Thanks!! i have an empty corner in the kitchen and trying to decide what might work to tuck away their backpacks after homework

Comments (34)

• crescent50
    14 years ago

Take a look at Ballards, Pottery Barn or JCPenney- I am pretty sure that all 3 carry a corner unit that consists of upper shelves & hooks with a storage bench below that might work for shoes and/or backpacks.

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

My son's just sits on the floor at the side of the family room sofa. Wish I could offer a solution for both of us.

Totally Confused

• crescent50
    14 years ago

Not sure if the link will work but this was what I was talking about....

http://www.amazon.com/Pottery-Barn-Samantha-Corner-Cushion/dp/B0013EQWIQ

• rucnmom
    14 years ago

We purchased the JCP bench with three cubbies w/baskets with the wall shelf also w/3 baskets. Working so-so because the backpacks don't fit in the cubbies but at least they are corraled on the bench. Glad I bought the JCP version because I don't think I am going to like it forever which I would have felt I would have to if I bought the PB version.

• latimore
    14 years ago

I installed a couple of hooks on the wall right inside the door, just below the top of the wainscot. The kids hang their backpacks and lunch boxes on those. They are both little (under 6) right now so their jackets go there too.

I just used simple double robe hooks from Home Depot as I didn't want them to stick out very far from the wall. They probably cost $2 each.

Places like Van Dykes Restorers and House of Antique Hardware have a great selection of different types of hooks (most cost more than $2 each, though!).

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I put some big hooks in the kids' room and they hang them in there.

• pps7
    14 years ago

We have a wall mirror with a shelf and hooks from potterybarn. Under that, we put a bench that holds shoes and stuff ends up being dumped on that as well.

• alicate
    14 years ago

No mudroom here but the kids hang their back packs in their rooms. Coats go on a self standing coat rack and shoes go in the closet in bins. It's working okay here but I really would love a mudroom!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I raised 5 kids, and never had a mudroom. It was their responsibility to make sure the backpacks or books ended up in their room and not on a floor someplace else in the house. The same applies to coats, sweaters, shoes, etc. ;o)

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

The kitchen table. I know, not what you wanted to hear. When he is done with his HW, we just hang it on a kitchen chair until the next day. Over the weekend, it hangs on hooks in the laundry room.

I had thought about hanging hooks behind the back of the door but I find that the hooks around this house end up looking so disorganized. So in the LR - it is out of sight, out of mind.

Smiles:)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Suzi, got a picture of that corner to share? That would help.

• jant
    14 years ago

DD's stuff always went right into her room. Coats were hung in the closet.

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

Our "back" door exits from our family room, then to the garage. Muddy shoes are left in the garage under a bench. Backpacks are taken up to the kids' rooms right after school for homework, etc, but brought down at the end of the evening and placed on the open, bottom shelf of a sofa/console table that is placed right next to the door. Any instruments are on the floor right under that shelf (thankfully only a clarinet and a viola, nothing big like a cello!). That way, everything is right there to grab on the way out in the morning rush. I wish I had a mudroom with all the winter snow/sand, but this is the best I can come up with. PB's console tables are pricey, but the one I got to match with the other furniture in the room was only $400. It's held up pretty well from having heavy backpacks slung on it.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I have a large basket near the door that backpacks and gym bags get tossed into. Easy Peasy!

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

Coats in the closet; backpacks in the kids' rooms.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

We purchased a coat rack and hat rack from IKEA (LEKSVIK) and placed it in the garage right beside the entry door. That keeps all the coats right by the door we enter/exit most frequently. The shoe cubbies mostly house gardening shoes and soccer cleats which I don't want worn inside. As for backpacks they go in the kids' rooms--except for my 8-year-old DD, I allow her to sling it on the back of one of the kitchen stools on weekdays. Weekends it goes in her room.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA coat and hat racks.

• choclot
    14 years ago

I envy those of you who can get the kiddies to put their shoes & backpacks up. My 3 school-age children usually leave their backpacks in the dining room (which is one of the first rooms off of the front door). I have them take them to their rooms during the weekend.

Shoes are almost always lined near the front door. (I don't mind this so much, because they're neat and orderly.)

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Oops! I mean shoe bench not hat rack. Coat/hat rack above, shoe bench below. I'd show a pic, but it's one of the most used pieces of furniture, always looks a mess, but what the hey, it's in the garage! If you do want a pic, let me know and I'll snap one mess and all.

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I have a basement, so I put three hooks on the wall by the stairway going down to the basement. Kids come in, we go through backpacks, take out homework, empty lunchboxes,etc. Homework is done, everything goes in and the backpack gets hung up on their hook. We don't have the kids carrying textbooks back and forth to school; we have used sets here at home so the backpacks don't weigh a ton. The hooks are set into studs, though, just to be safe.

• mildredpots
    14 years ago

I have a blanket chest. Backpacks, mittens, jackets etc all go in there. Shoes go in a bin nearby.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow lots of great responses--Thank you!
    i was thinking of something brown to match my corkboard that had a closed top or something with a closed front?? i'll have to think about it- or something in the garage-- i just put a rack in the garage for shoes-- there are 4 shelves perfect for each member of the house (from Costco- love it- super sturdy)

This is the shoe rack
    {{!gwi}}

This is the corner of the kitchen-i can either totally move the dogs bed or just move it out a bit
    {{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. I'd get a shelf with hooks below it to hang the backpacks on. Maybe even a cubby bench for the slippers to wear in the house. That is if you all wear slippers. That rack is an awesome way to let shoes dry out.
    Check the link below for some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP Possibilities

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks justgot-- problem is I dont have room in my kitchen for the hanging shelf-- b/c of cork board - it would have to be something that sits on the floor- and baskets wont work for putting back packs in- and i really dont want to see the back packs---

• aunttomichael
    14 years ago

I have a similar spot and I plan on ordering a locker (with doors) from this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lockers

• aunttomichael
    14 years ago

The place I linked to above has lots of storage bins/benches, too. I haven't ordered from them yet so I can't vouch for them.

• fluffybutt
    14 years ago

We just have the one coat closet and I keep trying different things. I've attatched hooks to the inside of the door so they can hang their backpacks but they keep ending up just piling backpacks, shoes and coats in the closet on the floor.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

in the middle of the foyer. i wish i could offer a suggestion! sorry!

• karinl
    14 years ago

What I find about the school backpack is that it has to be unloaded and reloaded constantly, so it needs not just a place but a sorting station. I bought a little nightstand for our narrow little hallway that the backpack (just one left!) goes onto at the end of the day, and stuff coming out of it gets put on the shelf underneath. It's not perfect - a bigger horizontal surface would be better. But we live where we do, and space is at a premium.

At least this encourages periodic emptying of the backpack, and keeps the stuff that comes home out of the way and easy to find when needed.

KarinL

• les917
    14 years ago

Our situation was much like deedee. We have no mudroom nor garage. The side door and front door open into the same hallway. Side door is off the driveway, so that is the door that is used all the time. Two backpacks went to the kids' rooms for homework to be done at 5 PM. After homework, the backpacks came downstairs and were put on the bottom shelf of an oak console table that was in the entry hall. Coats always belonged in the closet, and they knew to put them in there. Shoes were to be taken off in their rooms, not at the back door, if they chose to go without shoes.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

I am relieved to see how many posters did not have mudrooms or a specific space designated for the backpacks, et al. DD always left hers on the chair in the foyer when she was finished with her homework. Ready for the following day. On the weekend, the pack went up to her room along with her shoes. Coats, etc. in closet when she came home at the end of the day.

DD is away at school, and from what I've seen, she is sooo much neater at school and more particular about her things than she ever was at home. Go figure.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

I had a 24" wide x 60" high shelf built in the front hall closet with three cubbies, one for each child. Each child has a shelf for backpacks, coats, etc. , and can close the door and they are out of sight. I have a larger front closet and was willing to give up a bit of space for this, but am so glad I did! Of course, knapsacks & coats often get dropped off in the foyer and then I nag until they are put away!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

fillagirl - can you post a picture of your shelf? I have a 3x7 (interior) coat closet in the foyer, only a bulder's wire-coated shelf/rod there (12" or 16" deep?), we store *all* our coats there except the ones currently in use (those go in the mudroom). I'd like to put some kind of shelves or cubbies for toys in the foyer closet, but I still need room to hang coats. Thanks

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i have only 1 closet that currently is storing coats and vaccum-- wondering if i could put something on the floor to hold backpacks-- maybe just a crate lol-- any pics from anyone who has done something like this?

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hi ajsmama, sorry my camera is away on holidays with DH until Feb. 16th. It is very simple - just a vertical piece of 1/2" wood (not plywood) 60" high and placed 24" away from end of closet wall, then four of the same thickness of wood horizontally about 20" apart (top piece of horizontal wood goes right on top of end piece of vertical piece, other pieces butt up against vertical piece). Like 3 boxes stacked on top of each other, but the first "box" starts 20" off the ground. So each box is 24" wide and about 20" high.

The closet rod gets attached directly to the vertical piece so you still have room to hang coats.

Sorry, wish I could take a pic for you, hope my explanation makes sense.