Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

turn comforter into duvet? Can it be done?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

I'm wondering: can I take out whatever baffle-stitching, and whatever stuffing out of a decorative comforter, put some closures on the bottom, and use it as a duvet? There's a comforter at Target I'm interested in using, but I don't want to use it as a comforter, rather as a duvet...

Crazy idea, but can it be done? Easier maybe than making one from scratch...thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I don't think you'd ever get the stitch marks out. By any chance do they have matching sheets so you could make it?

• les917
    16 years ago

Do you mean you want it to be like a duvet cover - no inside filling, just the outside fabric? A duvet is the comforter - duvet means 'down' in French. Will you put a duvet inside of it? I am guessing that is the plan, since you want the closures.

It might depend in part on what the fabric is. Stitch markings might come out of a heavier weight cotton, but not out of a satin.

Can you link us to the particular item on Target's site so that we can take a look?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hm, yes, I need to see it more closely to know what stitching it's got. No precisely matching sheets, unfortunately--good idea, though :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd be concerned about breaking threads in the process. (Also sound like a whole lot of work! :)

• carajon
    16 years ago

Why remove the stuffing? Do you particularly like the comforter you have, or do you have allergies that would prevent using the Target comforter as is? If you want more warmth, you could just sew a sheet to the comforter and add bottons or velcro to the bottom, and put your existing (down?) comforter inside - you would get a really puffy, warm cover!

Not sure if that helps at all....

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

les, yes, forgive my shorthand. I meant a cover for comforters we already have. And carajon, it's really for ease of upkeep: I like the ease of washing a smaller duvet cover more often than a big comforter. We do not have a huge washer and dryer--stackable full size, but smaller than what we had before (we exchanged with the PO).

The piece is on clearance--here it is (below).

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm looking for *simple* :) (also plan to make one, but this would be in addition)

• socks
    16 years ago

As I understand it you are going to pull out all the stitching and remove whatever batting is inside and convert to a duvet. You could put ties at the bottom to hold the comforter in. Just be sure the finished size will fit your comforter. It is pretty.

Did you notice it is DRY CLEAN ONLY? Check the reviews at the bottom of the Target page for this info. I wouldn't like that. So expensive, inconvenient, and putting chemicals into your bedding.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

socks, I'm going by the information on the listing, which says machine wash, but I did see the review that said it was DC only. If it turns out to be dc only, I will not keep it.

And yes, I sure wish I could find the dimensions of it without having to order it...we need it long enough to hang over a tall mattress with a 2" pad on it...

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Sure seems to me it would be easier (cheaper?) and more certain to start with either yardage or a flat sheet you like.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Flyleft, there are sheets in this collection... do they not match? See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: sheets

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oceanna, you know what, I've got one in the works, complete with decorative design and all...I just thought that I might get out of the initial *huge* seams if I got this instead...mclarke, they aren't the same pattern, but rather a coordinating one. I really like the large tone-on-tone waves, although seeing that the top is polyester makes me wonder if it's a bit cheesy wrt texture...anyway, I'm getting more negative vibes on this than positive, so maybe I'll give up on the shortcut and just wait for the time to make the one up from scratch.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Are you sure you want to do that? I don't like duvets, I tried but it seemed too fussy. I wanted a COLORED down alternative comforter. Easy to find, sure, but not so good. The ones at Target were cute but not warm enough or big enough so I just ordered one from The Company Store. It's not here yet but Lord knows I hope I fall in love when it arrives!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor