Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigib_08

Cabinet pull up on cabinet, not sure I'm crazy about it!

gigib_08
15 years ago

Well, I hung up the cabinet pull & it just doesn't look quite like I thought it would. I don't know why the littlest things are the hardest to me! I didn't have trouble at all picking out my refrigerator! LOL!! The pull is the dark one on the right side. Here it is:

{{!gwi}}

Still love this pull {{!gwi}} & am wondering if anyone has this pull with a backplate? Hubby said he could redrill 3" holes if we covered up the existing 3 3/4" holes with backplates. Do you all think this pull would look okay with backplates?

{{!gwi}} Or maybe used with these knob backplates with the pulls (they are 1" diameter, but I have seen them in 5/8", also)

The kitchen is drilled for all pulls. So, what do you all think? Use the pulls that I love with backplates or keep looking? I'll post on the kitchen sect., too. All of your opinions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• rockmanor
    15 years ago

I like your current pull just fine, but it's not my house or my money. How unhappy are you with the one now on the cabinet?

Could you return all of them for a full refund when you order/purchase another style? (Not that you need to answer that for me, it's just something I would consider in my own house.) Would the additional cost, if any, of the preferred pulls pay for something else you want for your kitchen?

The backplate idea doesn't appeal to me; YMMV. If you really wanted the second pull no matter what, then I'd use the round knob backplates and not the rectangular one. Is there another pull with the same spread that you like as well as the second one you pictured, and better than the current one?

Finally, how soon must you decide? If there's a refund involved, do you have a couple of weeks before you must make the return? If you have the time, I'd probably defer a decision until more's completed and see how it all looks together. I'm sure your kitchen will be lovely.

• wearybuilder
    15 years ago

Let's try to narrow down what you're thinking...do you think it's a "style thing" or a "color thing" or a "does it look right with the wood thing" or maybe just a simple "it's new, I'm not used to it yet thing?" :)

Do I remember correctly that we all voted on the pulls...and this oned seemed to go with the faucet??

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

better - I remember your other post about pulls, & liking the pull you have up because I felt it worked well with the other elements in your kitchen. Are you micro-managing, or are you looking at the big picture?

For me, how a knob feels is as important as the looks - how does this one feel to you (if it matters to you)

Also, I find that the smallest details can be the hardest - I'm still not thrilled with some of the choices I made in my kitchen (partially because that whole project was seriously fast-tracked), But more importantly, I do LOVE my kitchen - even with all the little details that I would do differently next time, or still might change if & when the time is right. Some things are perfect exactly as they are, even if you think they could be more perfect ;-)

If you really dislike them after living with them for a bit, go ahead & change them out. But you might want to give them a little time, give yourself a little breathing room, & let the possibility that they're right be an option.

• carriem25
    15 years ago

I don't think you will like the backplate - I think it is a more dated look.

How about these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fluted Orb handles

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Oh, another note. Choosing pulls was really hard for me, & I did find pulls that I loved - really loved - but ended up with some rather pedestrian but perfectly functional pulls that do indeed work well with all of the other elements in my kitchen (& cost a WHOLE lot less than some of the ones I loved, which was a big part of the equation for me).

And the pulls I have are just fine - they do what they're supposed to do, & they do a very good job of it. And I love the way they feel, and I'm perfectly happy with them.

FWIW :)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rockmanor- I have time to decide. There are current pulls on the cabinets for now that the previous owner had put on. I have searched & searched for pulls in a style I really like & the pull on the cabinet was the closest to the style I really like in a 3 3/4" CC.

moonkat- I only purchased the one pull, so maybe it is hard to see the big picture. I guess I just keep thinking it doesn't seem to have much character to it. But they are comfortable- much more comfortable then the existing ones.

• crashboombang
    15 years ago

Just another thought... If it were me, I would avoid drilling 2 sets of holes in the cabinets, because it will probably greater limit your ability to replace the pulls down the road if you would want to. But then I tend to take the "safe" route on things like that, so maybe it's just me.

• yogacat
    15 years ago

I'm not a fan of the backplate idea. This won't be just a couple of handles. Even a very small kitchen can have 20 cabinet doors. You may have even more. That many backplates would be a lot of visual clutter to me. I'd find something to fit the existing holes.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I like the ones you chose. Maybe you should leave them there for a while and then make a decision. If you do decide to change them, just buy one pull and install it and then decide which one is best. That way you're not out a lot of money. I'm not a fan of the backplates.

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After reading & thinking about some of your posts, I went back to searching & finally found a pull I think will work without drilling anymore holes. Needless to say my DH is thrilled about this! This is the new one I have found:
    {{!gwi}}
    Do you all like it or do you think I still need to keep looking? Thanks so much!

• trellisgirl
    15 years ago

I agree with the no backplate...and love your latest choice!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I love the new pull and it combines the best features of the one you tried out and your inspiration pull.

It's good that you won't be drilling new holes!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I haven't seen your whole kitchen but I like the pull you have in the original pic. The latest one I'm not crazy about, but I tend to like clean, smoother lines.

As moonkat mentioned, it's possible you're too close to the project right now. Leave the new pull on the cabinet, back away for awhile and make your decision in a couple of weeks. In a few months you'll never notice the pulls.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Okay I changed my mind :-) you should go with the new one.