Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meaghanbarrett

painting kitchen cabinets

meaghanbarrett
14 years ago

My kitchen cabinets are stained. Do I have to use an oil based paint to paint them or could I use Benjamin Moore's Aura paint?

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• Faron79
    14 years ago

I'd avoid Oils...in light colors, they'll yellow over time...NOTICEABLY.

Any higher-end paint would do fine, including the "Cabinet-paint" class of paints.

FPE's ECO series would be an AWESOME choice!
    See link below:
    (NOT the cheapest. Probably the best though...)

Prep is the KEY here...if you've prepped for 80% of the project time, and 20% actually painting...that's about right!!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: FPE's ECO page...

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

I would use an oil based primer though, or shellac based.

• decorativewalls
    14 years ago

For cabinets my primer of choice would be XIM-UMA .

• armyyife
    14 years ago

I used Zinsser B-I-N which is a shellac base and it says it will bond to just about anything and you don't have to sand.

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

I just purchased some Cabinet Coat to paint a bathroom vanity. The cabinet is maple and was factory varnished. In good shape but I'm redecorating the room. Here is what I was told but I won't be undertaking the project for several days.

No priming is specified for the Cabinet Coat brand I purchased however I have no stains either so did not ask.

Wash the cabinet thoroughly with a TSP solution, rinse well and allow to dry. Pay particular attention to the corners.

Lightly sand and remove dust with a tack cloth.

Paint one section at a time. Cabinet Coat is self-leveling so I'm suppose to apply generously though not so liberaly that it puddles or runs - not suppose to work the paint following initial coverage.

Lightly sand again after a minimum of 24 hours and second coat.

Hope we both can claim success shortly.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

I would still prime. You won't really know if you have any stains until you apply the paint. Primer sticks better than paint in every case and good adhesion is really what you are looking for when painting over something slick. Also, if you are sanding, the TSP may be overkill since it can cause issues if not rinsed well enough. There are other cleaners like Dirtex that do not have to be rinsed as well but still work.

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Thank you paintguy, I'll follow your recommendations.