Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Cheap fix needed... (long sad story)

sweeby
16 years ago

We're remodeling the entire house and made a few little errors of judgement (OK, more than a few) and I'm hoping some of you clever people can help bail me out of this particular set of mistakes.

Early in the remodel, we moved a bunch of walls around and ended up with a wide shallow closet in our upstairs hallway, which serves the bedrooms and bathrooms. The original plan for this closet was linen storage, which makes sense, given the size, shape and location. Then we got creative... (OK, I did.) I thought how cool it would look to have the three sliding doors on this closet be in a Shoji screen style, back-lit from behind, on dimmers, to gently and gracefully illuminate the hallway. I still think that would be cool - and Hubby agreed. So then I start looking for Shoji screen doors. (cue scary music) The price tags weren't good; in fact, they were really scary...

So DH tells me we can get the same great look from 'regular' glass doors, and for whatever reason (was I drunk?), I agreed. He further persuades me that we should put in glass shelves and use the area as a display case for our art glass collection, and again, I agree. (more evidence of drinking problem?) So he built it. We put in our art glass, and it looks pretty good. Totally illogical, but attractive.

Fast forward six years and enough time has passed (or the Margaritas have worn off?) that I'm able to admit to myself that the whole 'regular glass doors / glass shelves' idea is a bad one. The entire idea of displaying our pretties in a place we pass only on the way up to bed or to the bathroom is dumb. (DH agrees - so we moved our beautiful pieces downstairs where they bring us pleasure daily.) That space really should be a linen closet - and now we're using it as such - but with clear glass doors, it's UGLY!

This is where I need your help...

The doors are plain single-pane French-door style glass doors, and they had to be trimmed to size with special hardware installed to retrofit them for this purpose. And DH HATES to redo or undo work that he's done, so changing out the doors is a LAST resort. It would cost me a lot of marital currency and goodwill...

So I'm now wondering what to do to make these doors work. My first thought was a window film, but I haven't seen one that seems right. I definitely don't want one that looks 'fake' since our whole house is very 'warm earthy and woody' with natural materials. Also, the glass is 23" wide, and most films I've seen are narrower and would need to be seamed down the middle, killing the 'natural' look. I was wondering if a grasscloth wallpaper or fabric might work -- but would want to adhere it from the reverse side of the glass for durability. Gathered curtains would be too 'country' a look to work in this house.

Anyone have any ideas??

Comments (37)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Are you brave enough to break out the glass altogether and replace it with some interesting (or just nice) wood panels? Somehow it seems to me that having glass up there, when you're trying to pile in a bunch of towels, etc., is not the safest thing in the world anyhow, plus you'll end up saving on elect. by not having those lights going all the time.

• meg711
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest gathered curtains but how about doing reverse decoupage on your doors instead?

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

My first thought...after laughing about being drunk!! was spray on frosting. Don't they make some type of spray on frosting product? You could put some sort of stencil design that you like on there and then spray.

Second thought, what about decorative wrought iron over the glass? I am in love with the exterior doors that have wood/glass with iron scrollies on top of the glass.

Let's see if this link works.

It will be okay!! It sounds like you were making ALOT of decisions. Now, go pour you another margarita (one for me, too) and relax!!

Smiles:)

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

Are the doors painted? If so, you can actually paint the glass too. I've seen it done to a room that needed privacy.

• windypoint
    16 years ago

Maybe glass etching solution, to give a frosted look?

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Do some more looking online. A two minute Google search (search term: "window film") yielded products out there that are 26", 35", and even 48" wide, in a much wider range of options and better quality than the crapola that's in the big box stores.

• duesouth_gw
    16 years ago

How about something like the site I've linked below? The Haru Warlon is made to go over glass and the Warlon Acrylic can replace glass.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoji Designs Inc

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I once covered a mirror in paintable wallpaper that matched my wall texture. It went up in just a few minutes and after I painted it to match the room nobody can tell there's a mirror under it.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

You could line the back with hand made papers or grass paper? Gallery glass would be pretty but would probably take a long time to accomplish. In Home Depot I bought a 24" "rice paper" film tto cover my powder room window that has a nice look and was fairly wide - I had to cut it down. They also have some other designs but I think they might be too distracting in your location.

Sky

Here is a link that might be useful: window film at Home Depot

• greenmtn
    16 years ago

I think you could still do fabric panels on the inside but just choose a fabric (and possbly less gathers) to make it fit your style house.

I've also seen glass doors "sandblasted" to etch a design. I've seen a similar approach with the spray etch from the box stores.

Just to get a feel of it, I think I would get some spare fabric, sheet, etc. and tack it with tacks inside and see how that looks. That would be an easy way to see how the "non see thru glass" sits with you.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Fabric can look really nice. You might also back them with a rice paper or something like that. There are mod podge projects behind clear glass using diluted regular white glue which dries clear. I wouldn't use the decoupage finish directly on your doors, but maybe you could just afix the paper to the glass, or actually do the podge project on a sheet of acrylic and affix it to the back of your door with those mirror hold thingies (so you can remove them to clean). (Still using your dimmer :)

• teacats
    16 years ago

How about looking for some handmade paper -- as Squirrel wisely suggested? But I still vote for the window film for a fast-and-easy fix!

• straitlover
    16 years ago

I second the spray frosting/etching. Quick, easy and inexpensive. It'll do until you figure out something better!

• Emily Peltz
    16 years ago

I second (third? fourth?) the fabric. Years ago, I saw a very cool use of french doors, lined very simply with fabric, to create a wall of closets in an old apartment. Wish I had taken pics!

Emily

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So many great ideas so quickly!

You're right about the window films having advanced since I last looked. I saw some 'rice paper-look' films from Solyx and have ordered some free samples -- cross your fingers. They'll run about $120 for the three doors if they work, but it would sure look better. That Haru Warlon looks interesting, and something to follow up on. Wonder if they give samples?

I also found some genuine rice paper which, if it could work, would be both authentic and cheap. Has anyone here done decoupage on glass? Does is work? Does the glue stay milky or yellow? (Not that that would be the end of the world as golden tones would work very well in that area.) And is it 'undo-able' if I hate it?

Lucy - I appreciate the suggestion, but without at least some light coming from the closet (that sounds so weird!) the hallway would not be properly lit at night. Not to mention DH's reaction to the idea of breaking out the glass...

Wrought iron over glass - very creative! Of course, that's what got me into this mess... Though that doesn't sound cheap. And you'd still see through the parts that weren't solid, so maybe not.

Painting the glass could be interesting. Would you paint a solid color? Some sort of design? A translucent wash? And would the brush strokes show? The price is certainly right.

The wallpaper is something that I've thought of, but ruled out due to the seams issue. Aren't most papers pretty narrow? I'd need 23" wide.

On the fabric option, wouldn't the most typical mounting bars prevent the doors from sliding? Or are there other ways to mount the fabric? Could I do a sort of decoupage with fabric? I remember reading somewhere about using starch to adhere fabric to walls. Anyone ever done that?

You folks are the best!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

If you like the frosted glass type look, there are more places out there that sell larger sizes. I used a product called Wallpaper for Windows and just checked and their largest size is 48"x74". Will that work?

I just posted a few pictures on a related thread discussing my experience which I have linked below.

I really think this could look nice--similar to the frosted glass pantries that you see in kitchens.

Oh, and, we've made plenty of mistakes in our remodel as well. Goes with the territory! I assume the glass is tempered?

Here is a link that might be useful: Window Film

• mqmoi
    16 years ago

View the door as a long art frame. Place a canvas art piece behind the glass. Some of the lesser expensive, "artwork" might be a possibility too--the kind that have minimalist, eco-type designs.

You might want to search stencils. Stencils are no longer limited to folksy designs.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Since those white glues are water soluable, I'd think it would come off -- testing would be the best bet there. I believe there is a white glue that is non-yellowing, which artists use. Can't remember which brand, though :) Online would surely know!

There are instructions around online for the glass projects. I've seen paper lace done behind clear glass plates on tv (so it would seem to be a neat and clean finish dried), as well as some other printed papers used.

Definitely be sure you are able to undo whatever you do!

• advanced
    16 years ago

I used Glass Film from a company called Glasscapes. It had several patterns most I didn't care for. However the Block Glass Design still fools anyone who sees it. Looks just like the glass block windows you see used in home decor for walls and in bathrooms to block the view without cutting out the light. Comes in rolls and very reasonable. Easy to apply, measuring is the important part. I used it on all the top of the window transoms as well as on the two lites on the side of my front door. When one of my builders came to fix a problem they wanted to know how much I paid for the glass block job!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Spray frosting works great, and I did a bathroom window with it a few years ago, grew tired of it and scraped it all off perfectly clean with a window scraper - piece of cake.

It cost about $4.00 for a can that covered a 30 X 48 window.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

If you decide to decoupage you would use ModPodg (sp?) which dries crystal clear. If you have a good craft store near, they will have this product and probably someone who you can talk to about what you plan to do. They also carry some pretty decorative papers... have you seen the hundreds of tissue papers out there??

If you go for the frosted glass look, I just spray painted 5 clear glass chandy shades to make them opaque white. I LOVE how they came out. It was Krylon Frosted Glass Finish in white. There are several other colors like a soft green and a soft blue that look like seaglass.

So will this closet become a fancy linnen closet w/ glass shelves?? You could start a new decorating trend! :)

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I don't know if you've heard of Tatouage, but it comes in a grill-work pattern as well as other patterns. It's just like a stencil, but looks more like hand painting. I think you can get it cheaper on QVC, but there are other sites that sell it too.

It's made for walls, but a friend of mine used it on her foyer tile floor, and it's holding up. I can't forsee a problem using it on glass.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

I am thinking stenciled white or ivory roller shades. I know on this site somone recently had to links to some beautiful stencils.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

I admit, I don't think I'd go for glass treatments on your doors. I'd focus on what's inside...that is, get some pretty baskets or cute striped canvas bins to put your towels in. Then when you look through the glass it will look pleasing to the eye.

You could add one or two decorative items too...in our linen hutch (solid cab doors, but I still like it to look pretty when i open them) I have a glass apothecary type jar with all the marbles my husband collected when he was a kid. No one sees it except when I show someone the new bathroom, but every time I open it, it makes me happy to see those marbles.

Susan

• lynnski
    16 years ago

You tell a great story, sweeby!

There are a lot of beautiful handmade papers that you can adhere to glass with...cue drumroll...water! A nearby art supply store did a fabulous window display this way, and I inquired how they did it. For a while my Dad lived in apartment that needed more privacy, so I recommended this technique to him, and he used it successfully. Which goes to show that it is dead simple.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I would either gather pretty fabric on a top and bottom rod, or I'd do Gallery Glass. Here are the two GG windows I've done. I left the top one with a lot of clear in the middle because I like to look out, but needed privacy along the bottom (think bathroom, chest height). The second one is all privacy. You can buy ready made patterns or design your own. It's not hard to do but it takes a bit of time and patience. Back-lit it would be lovely.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

sweeby: I have some extra Wallpaper for Windows. If you'd like a sample send me an email with your address and I'll put some in the mail for you.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What great ideas! I particularly love the 'handmade paper with water' idea. Talk about nothing to lose -- And we do have two good craft stores nearby, so I think I may just mosey on down there to see what they have in the way of handmade paper, ModPodg, etc. I'm leery of the spray-on stuff because I have such large expanses of glass that any unevenness at all would really show.

That Tatouge system is neat too. Wish I'd known about that when I was doing nurseries! The undersea scene shown on the website would have been perfect for my younger son's room.

Those Gallery Glass windows are gorgeous Oceana! Are they hard to do? I'm talking about three panes that are each 23" x 66", so that's a lot of space. And given the contents of these closets, I'd need to obscure the entire glass area.

Valinsv - That's a great offer and I'd love to take you up on it - Thanks! But I'm unable to get your e-mail to work from your 'MyPage'. My email is linked here, and maybe that will work?

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Sweeby,
    I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Not custom iron work!! Oh my, lots of $$$ but maybe those decorative scrollies from like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Marshalls, etc.

If you have your measurements handy when out looking you might run across something.

But I like the idea of handmade paper very much!! Especially if it just goes on with water!

Smiles:)

• uxorial
    16 years ago

I agree with mpwdmom--focus on what's inside the closet. With pretty baskets; jars/hurricanes filled with glass chips, soaps, or shells; towels and sheets folded neatly and tied with colorful ribbon, your linen closet will be nice to look at. And you'll still have the light shining into the hall, which you won't have if you paint or otherwise cover the glass doors.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the idea to focus on actually making the interior look good -- but resale is a very important consideration.

DH tried to argue that the area would make a perfect 'trophy case' and that everybody with enough kids to need a five bedroom home would want a glass-front trophy case for all their kids' trophies. But it was before noon and I hadn't had enough margaritas to fall for that one! Or does anyone here agree with him?

On a different note, I once again realized what a dork I am! I assumed that since all of the wallpaper we've applied (3-4 maybe?) came in rolls of a certain size that ALL wallpaper came in rolls that were the same size. NOT true! As it happens, the standard size for natural fiber wallpapers (jutes, sisals, grasscloths, raw silks) seems to be 36". So wallpaper over the glass might be an easy option. Anyone have any idea if it would actually stick?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

What about treating it as a glass-door bookcase? One of my favorite things about our new/old house is that there is a built in glass-front bookcase in the hallway where the kids' bedrooms area. Perfect for storing all those kids' books. And I hate to say it but the "trophy" case is not that bad of an idea. We keep the books on the lower shelves where the kiddos can pick out their books and my DD's art projects, seashell collection, etc., in the upper shelves. It's "their" hallway all the way. I'm also considering adding a cork board or chalk board to the hallway to display their calendar/appointments, schedules, cards from relatives, party invites, etc.

• mrstan1234
    16 years ago

I hate to say this - but I was a kid that never got any trophy's. Having a huge closet/trophy case to try to fill, would've been harmful to my self esteem! LMAO!

Honestly - I have found in my experience, that the first instinct is usually the right one. Soooo many times I start a project, change the plan midway, and hate the outcome, and end up re-doing it to the original idea....

If you love soji screens, and your house supports that kind of design - I say - GO FOR IT. When I read your original post, I immediatley thought of me, standing in HD the other night, looking at these rolls of 'stained glass' stuff, and picking up the rice paper one and thinking "coooool. Where can I use that?"

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glass-door bookcases vrs. Trophy Cases -- That's the perfect model for my husband and my. I have tons of books, (the first things he packed when we started remodeling!) and he could have filled three large trophy cases when he was a youngster (though he eventually did grow up and gave them all away). But neither of our boys are athletic and both are dyslexic.

I think MrStan's got it right -- the first instinct is the right one. I'll wait for the 'rice paper look' window films and try a few handmade paper and grass-clothy wallpapers to see if I can't get the 'shoji-look linen closet' to work. This house is definitely right for that look.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

MrStan -- don't feel bad, they are given very liberally these days. I think everyone gets a few!

• rdowns
    16 years ago

I just want to comment on the use of the expression marital currency- LOVE IT!!!
    In addition, your taste is lovely sweeby, please post pix of whatever solution you end up using.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I don't suppose that there's any possibility of putting your 'tons of books' in this built-in bookcase?

And you might take a photo or two of what you're dealing with, then, wander into a store that specializes in decor to get some input.

Red