Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Feedback please, kinda done with guest bath

Shannon01
14 years ago

I am not super fond of the items on top of toilet but they are ok for now. I had thought of a dark, long tray with river rocks and two or three ivory candles. The iron basket things don't really match, too scrolly and not clean lined as I would prefer. I had a solid brown towel but it was so plain. Then I found this one at Kmart and it matches perfectly. The towel rack came with house and I had considered removing it and putting in a standing thing that holds the towel. It is way too short for regular towel and when you fold one up on there is looks bulky. I considered doing two hand towels. Is there anything you would change or add? The matching soap dispenser to the towel was plain metal stuff that did not look good at all. I repurposed items I had so am open to other ideas. The blue walls are actually much darker than the pics, especially the toilet pics. It is a deep colonial shade.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My ultimate goal is to stain the cabinet darker brown. They are same cabinets as my kitchen which has med cherry floors with the lighter cabinets. Do you think the cabinet being on same floor as kitchen would look odd being different color??

Comments (23)

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Wow, I absolutely love this room! It has a very soothing, tranquil look. My only suggestions are to hang two hand towels (folded), side by side on the towel rod, and if you have room for a small rug, something fluffly and spa-like might be nice in front of the sink. (Although it's absolutely not necessary to cover up that lovely floor!)

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to see you "back" to the forum.

Thanks for the floor comment. I literally did it myself. It took a long time and now I know why the guys charge so much. I would lay about 5 tiles a night. It stayed ungrouted for a few weeks. I think dh did about 10 tiles in our laundry room one day to see what it was like. He hated doing it and has no problem giving me the credit for it.

Those darn towels were $8 on sale from $9!!!! But worth it.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I agree with auntjen's appraisal. Plus I think you did a fabulous job with the art work. Your idea about the long tray with river rocks and candles would indeed look good on the back of the toilet. I like the layered towel look, so having a brown towel topped with a blue and then your tan towel on top would look luxurious and throw a blue or brown finger-tip towel on the counter. I think the darker wood on your cabinet would be a nice change in the future too.

I usually throw extra rolls of toilet paper and a couple of nice magazines in a basket next to the toilet and before guest come over check the stock on that. I also save those little guest bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion from hotels and put those in a basket/container for guests to use. Under the sink, have a blow dryer, spray deodorant, package of disposable razor/toothbrushes, travel size toothpaste, package of comb and nail files. You will have happy guests. :-)

• anncarolyn
    14 years ago

Love your bathroom! So clean and peaceful. Could you tell me the paint color and the tile name? I am getting ready to redo my powder room and love the look of your tile - is it slate? Thanks

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I think it looks great!!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

great looking room!!! Love the color combinations!!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Very nice. What is your wall color? I really like it.

• stolenidentity
    14 years ago

Very nice! One thing I would consider is maybe getting a little bit smaller towel bar, and still using that same towel. The long towel bar does take your eye away from the lovely art above it.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Yes your cabinet would look fab in a dark color and only compliment the room. You've made a wonderful change, kudos to you!!!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Love the color choice and the artwork!

I would put two hand towels on the bar.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH just mentioned two towels would be nice. He usually does not care about decorative stuff but does always say that he needs a towel he can actually wipe hands on. He was pleased when I told him it was fine to actually use these towels.

I tried layering the towels but not sure how to make it work. If I try to layer with the bottom towel hanging lower, the back of the top towel hangs too low and shows. Hope that makes sense. I just noticed they have a fingertip towel. I might be able to use the brown solid handtowel I have and use the fingertips to layer. They do not have a washcloth. That could work. I will check the store because the one I went to was out of stock.

The tile is a standard slate that several stores have usually. I got lucky and found a brand that came with the grout release already on it. I was amazed at how well the mortar and grout came off. It came boxed and Home Depot let me open boxes and pick out ones I wanted as long as I bought full boxes. I picked out the solid black ones and tried to stagger the tiles so as to not have similar ones next to each other. We also used the staggered pattern so any unstraight lines would go unnotices. We had a crazy turn in the hall and spent months trying to decide how to turn the corner but still keep the patter the same way. We found this cool glass tile that matched and used it at the corner and also made a faux rug in the entry.

The wall color is Nantucket Blue KK282, I cut off the brand but I got it at OSH. Just realized this, we used it in the downstairs offie which is across from bath which is where I am sitting. It is a really pretty blue.

• sadler_mkb
    14 years ago

I love your bathroom... How did you get the texture on the walls? I am painting a hall and wanted to do something like the texture you have used.

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

WOW!!! Beautiful tiles and a great job- you should be really proud. I love the colors. I think your cabinets would look great stained darker.
    Make sure you show us the "after" pics.

• loribee
    14 years ago

I think it looks very serene too! Your guests will love it~

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The textured walls are standard here in CA from what I have seen. It is standard knockdown. Actually, we have done so many projects I have become quite a pro at matching spots now. I moved a light fixture and no one can tell where the old one was on the ceiling.

We purchased a neumatic gun for our air compressor. There is this hopper what you load the joint compound type stuff in and you shoot it on the wall. After it dries a tiny bit you take a putty knife and flatten the bumps down. You can make the bumps really big or small depending on how you adjust the sprayer. It takes a bit of practice but dh just told me to go for it and see what happens. It is a real pain when painting rooms when you want to make straight lines because the bumps interfere. They do sell stuff in a can and home depot told me to return the cans if it did not work as manufacturer states. It was horrible product and I did return the half empty can.

Thanks for all the compliments. I was really unsure. My older sis came by and immediatly said she really liked it. The only thing she did not like was that we use the shower stall to store our snowboard gear in the winter. We go almost every weekend and it was a hassle to haul everything upstairs and too easy to forget something. I have a rod across the top to hang our coats and pants and the helmets and boots sit on stall floor. It allows everthing to dry out and easy to load to car since it is near garage door. We don't get lots of visitors so it does not bother us. In summer we hang our wet swimsuits in there, again making them easily accessible and keeps upstairs carpet from getting wet suits left on it.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

sadler mkb....

It looks like what they call "orange peel" It's the easiest treatment to put on a wall for contractors because it hides all...Hire someone or do it for cheap yourself by renting a sprayer ....One thing papering over or doing any sort of faux finish paint treatment over will never work...
    I could be wrong because I'm not a pro ..There is also a roller method but I've never seen the end results of that..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ehow.com/how_5648861_do-peel-texture-roller-method.html

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes it hides imperfections nicely and it a pain if you want to wallpaper. I finally conceeded when doing paper. You literally need to do three light coats of joint compound to get the wall nice and smooth. I tried the liner paper first and because of the bumps the seams just don't stay flat. I had to remove paper and joint compound the whole thing. I did a sponge paint texture once on the texture and it was ok but almost too textured.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

I just can't believe you did it yourself..GREAT JOB..And the floors too!..I also live in CA and have orange peal on ALL my walls.Tried the heavy duty liner as well..Will break down and do beadboard at some point. I love your bath but I also have the same blue wall,the same cabinets and the same slate only my slate is on one wall...Since I have most of your bath already could you please share your light fixture ? I'm stuck on what to do...thx
    I love the way your towels match the art and agree with you DH..

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Lovely, soothing guest bath you've done. My only suggestions would be to use a ring for your hand towels, and to add a hook on the door, or somewhere, for hanging a larger bath towel, which guests would certainly need if they used the room for showering. Since you don't have much available wall space, a pretty hook on the back of the door would work fine. Love the color and love your artwork!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I love the colors and how the accessories harmonize so well. Great job!

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Shannon, the bath is lovely but I am really impressed that you did your floors. They are awesome. Congratulations.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

forboystoo- you can have it, literally. I totally forgot that I do need to replace the light and want to frame the mirror with simple molding. The light came from builder, standard in most houses around here. Master has something like 8 and kids has 6 bulbs. I want to replace all with something more ornate but simple. Can't believe I forgot the light fixture. Mirror can wait but light must still go. The faucet was a builder standard clear plastic balls. We put a new set in prior house and it was a buy one get one so and I had not installed the second one when we moved so I took it with me. I put it in the guest bath immediatly and still need to do the other baths.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

You didn't show it in your pics ...I'm guessing that it is the same Hollywood Mirrored Vanity light I have...When I took one of them down to my surprise there was no wall texture under the fixture...I ended up with joint compound sanded then used that canned stuff you tried....
    I also had to do my ceiling when I changed light fixtures and I still have that plastic ball on my faucet that will change as soon as I find a deal somewhere...
    Gosh ...Someone else is living my bathroom...