Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmwbcc

Interested in pics/opinions of kitchens with white appliances!

dmwbcc
14 years ago

We're building a new home and need to pick out our appliances. We're using a Beech cabinet, shaker style and stained ebony, white Corian counters and a taupey/grey glass subway tile back splash. We are using taller 5" baseboards, trimming out windows in a white trim- so the white will be prominent. I am kinda liking some white appliances I found, slide in range with glass cook top, counter depth side by side fridge, dishwasher with integrated/hidden panel- all in the smooth finish. I was of course pleased with the price on these items as well! :)

Every time I mention the white appliances alot of people will "wrinkle" up their noses. Cheap, country, low budget are all words they used to describe the end result of this kitchen. I guess I missed the part where white appliances can't look "high end". I don't hate ss, and if I were putting together another kitchen, I would probably use it. However, white just feels right. I have ss canisters, ss pulls, ss pendant lights, ss fruit bowl, ect.... so I think it will be integrated.

What I am trying to avoid is having the white counter tops end up looking like a white ribbon around the kitchen. I wanted to pick up on those with the appliances. I found this kitchen:

http://www.selba.ca/productgallery/images/large/AUT_0037%20A.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to embed pics.... Anyone?

I don't "mind" this look, I think that with a back splash that will marry the contrast, it is the look I am going for.

BUT- this is the ONLY picture I can find.... HELP! I need a little more push and would love opinions or pictures to help me make my final choice!

Comments (55)

• teacats
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ttodd: Yep. It is indeed a "micro-hood" LOL! And does a wonderful job too! :)

Jan at rosemary Cottage

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

Those who have posted pics of white appliances also have white cabinets, but OP will have ebony stained cabinets. I don't like the look of white appliances with dark cabinets and I think many people don't, which is why you aren't finding a lot of examples. Of course it's your house, though, so you should do what feels right to you.

I also have bisque appliances like Jan, but I have them because they coordinate with my off-white cabinets.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

I overlooked the part where the OP stated that the cabinets will be stained ebony. I'm not sure the ebony and white combo would work well together. Sorry.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Your kitchen design sounds lovely! I can't wait to see it come together!

We recently finished a kitchen remodel, and kept our bisque appliances -for a couple of reasons. I don't *love* stainless, and we were really trying to do this on a budget. Here are some before and after pictures to show you how the bisque blends in with creamy cabinets -whereas it didn't with the oak cabinets.

And here's where we started...

• jlsch
    14 years ago

There are some photos in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to similar quest

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

While I like appliances, I don't care for the white with the ebony finish on the cabinets. Are you totally committed to the cabinet color? However, I don't necessarily like ss either, mainly because it is such a fad at this point, like its a "must have" component to a new kitchen or re-do. I wouldn't worry about the response of wrinkled noses. I've never been one that follows fads and actually will run in the opposite direction of them.

Please post a pic of whatever you decide.

• amck2
    14 years ago

I like white appliances, especially in a kitchen with white cabinets. But as I'm envisioning your kitchen plans from your description, I don't think I'd choose white in your case.

You said you were trying to avoid having your countertops look like a white ribbon going across the room, but I see having dark cabs right next to a white stove, then more dark lower cabs, then a white dishwasher, etc., as being too distracting to the eye.

That works when someone is going for the style of an unfitted kitchen. But I think it could end up looking like you were making due with appliances you had before the remodel instead of looking like they were chosen deliberately for your new kitchen. Just MHO, because you're asking for opinions. But want to quickly echo the above posters who say if white's what you want, to heck with what anyone else thinks!

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I am ok with white appliances if the cabinetry is white/cream.

Personally, I think the picture your posted looks like someone updated their kitchen but kept their old appliances. The kitchen is sleek with the dark cabinets, but the white appliances just stick out in my opinion.

If it were my kitchen and I really didn't want to look at alot of stainless, I'd do custom door panels on the fridge and dishwasher and get a stainless stove or wall ovens and an electric or gas cooktop.

If you really hate stainless (which having a little bit like in only a stove/hood looks classy to me) I'd do a black stove.

• suero
    14 years ago

I'd go for black appliances. They should be about the same price as white appliances.
    Note that if you're mixing appliances from different manufacturers, the whites may not be the same color, but black will always be the same black.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Here's pics of our bisque appliances with our maple/cider stained cabinets. Our backsplash is a bisque tile, as is our flooring (except the flooring is vinyl tiles). I love bisque and white appliances and have never felt the pull of stainless steel for large appliances. Small appliances are okay, though...go figure. For me, it's about the ability to keep the kitchen neutral and timeless, while at the same time having the option of changing out the paint color, textiles and accessories to update it when the mood strikes. I don't want anyone to look at my kitchen and figure out when it was renovated LOL.

The first pic was taken when I relaminated the counters for the first time, which was about 5 years ago. The second pic shows the new counters that I relaminated (once again...see what I mean about getting an update?) last spring. I went with Formica basalt slate in a honed finish and I love them.
    I also changed out the paint color and small appliances.

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I appreciate all the responses. Looking like we "put the old appliances back" in is SURELY not what I'd like it to look like. I also don't want the look of the overall kitchen to look "upgraded" and then look like we fell short on the appliances. :) Changing the cabinets are not an option, we love them! I guess ss it is? I'll have to look up some kitchens with black appliances, but I don't picture that being the look I want. :)

Oh- how do I embed pcitures? I wanted to run some by all of you!!!

• amck2
    14 years ago

dmwbcc, have to tell you about a kitchen I just saw that has black cabinets and some white appliances. You might want to take a look.

Are you familiar with the Finished Kitchens Blog on the GW Kitchen Forum site? I went there to check a feature in a kitchen that was mentioned in a recent post and on the main page, staring at me, was rtpaisley's kitchen which has a combination of appliances finishes. The photo at the top shows white appliances right against black cabs and, IMHO, it looks really good.

I apologize for having you search it out instead of providing a link, but I have no idea how to do it.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Bestyears, your transformation was stunning! Great job!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Here's the Finished Kitchens Blog link: http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/

TONS of great info/pics there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amak and hoosiergirl, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I don't think that looks bad either, however, they have a kitchen with alot of interest with that ss hood, range, ect.... I just wonder if I would fall short. Oh goodness! I don't know anymore. :)

I'll go peruse the Finished Kitchen Blogs.... that will keep me busy for hours.

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

Here's a blurry pic of our dark cabs with white appliances.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I would go with ss or black. I think those colors with dark cabinets are beautiful. But if you're going for an ultra-modern look like the picture you showed, then white would do.

As far as using old appliances, I don't remember what color your's are, but we used our old stove, and it looks just fine. It's white and still worked and I didn't see the need to buy a new one just so it would look new.

My own "rule of thumb" is dark cabinets with ss/black, white cabinets with either ss or white/bisque.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I will tell you last year this time I decided to sell all my white appliances (which were in perfect condition!) just to get stainless steel applainces and WOW do I regret it! My kitchen too is white and I find the SS is so difficult to maintain a 'clean look'. The stove top is black and what a massive pain in the butt to keep that looking clean and smear free - almost impossible. A problem I never had with the white...everything looked prestine....! When I purchase again (which is not soon enough) I will be buying white no doutb.

Haley

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I think the appliances in the inspiration photo work so well due to the color of the floor and walls. Is this the overall look you're going for?

You may have checked it already, but the link below has more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

Well, according to Stevie Wonder...Ebony and ivory work together in perfect harmony... Sorry, couldn't resist that.
    I think it depends -- some of the pics look great. I don't really care for it in my kitchen and am trying to figure out what to do. I'm especially unhappy with the stove that has such a low oven door.

">
    I'm surprised that there is an upcharge for white appliances but it had to happen. The marketing folks have to keep us from becoming comfortable with our appliances so they can sell more of them. I'm just wondering what will be the next "must have" -- I've seen a lot of new colors - like red and blue and bronze and oiled bronze. I also read that black is more trendy than white and stainless. There is a brushed steel that looks like stainless that doesn't show fingerprints.

Please post a photo of your finished kitchen - it sounds nice. To imbed photos you upload them to a photo sharing website and then in the post here type: back arrow img src= " " forward arrow
    Copy the link where you pic is located by highlihgting, right click, select copy and then paste between the quotes. I hope that makes sense. Good luck with all.

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

I have white appliances in my kitchen along with maple cabinets, white silestone countertops and black/white tile floor on the diagonal. I love the look and it blends with the rest of my house more than stainless steel would have. I've questioned my decision a few times but realized my gut feel was right even though I love the look of stainless too. If I could post a pic I would but have no digital camera. If I can do it with a throw-away camera I will.

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! This has given me tons to ponder over- I appreciate the honest opinions for and against the white and ss. I think we're farther along then we were to start with, THAT is good! My husband votes for ss. Now, backsplash question.... LOL.

I wish I would have found this forum a LOOOONNNGGG time ago.

• karinl
    14 years ago

See link below for how to post photos.

Oh - as for appliance colour... Sounds like your heart is going for white, and I like it much better than black or stainless.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post photos

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Just to throw a ball in the mix....are you sure it's the appliances that the folks you talk to are wrinkling their nose at? I was so taken aback at the corian I didn't have time to see the "ebony" cabs. White corian with white ranges is not going to be a good way to break up a color block. Corian????? in a new kitchen?????

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

"I was so taken aback at the corian I didn't have time to see the "ebony" cabs. White corian with white ranges is not going to be a good way to break up a color block. Corian????? in a new kitchen?????"

What on earth is wrong with Corian? If the OP loves it and loves white appliances, it's her kitchen and she can choose whatever she wants that makes her feel happy every time she walks in the room. Some folks like Corian, some like laminate, some like marble, some like soapstone, some like granite, etc. On the flip side, some people don't like Corian, laminate, marble, soapstone and, heaven forbid, don't like granite (I'm in that camp).
    It's such a personal choice that there's no right or wrong.

I'm hoping you were speaking with tongue in cheek on this one ;o)

• mom270
    14 years ago

Here's my white appliances with maple pecan cabinets. Maybe if money was no object I would have gone with stainless, but I happen to think white looks good and is easier to clean. We also like refrigerator magnets.

{{gwi:1561530}}
    {{gwi:1604152}}

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Best Years: Beautiful transformation! Love your chairs, chalkboard and fruits of the spirit plaque. Can you tell me where you got the fruits of the spirit? Thanks.
    Joanie

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Here you go - this is Layla's DIY remodeled kitchen (Lettered Cottage). The beadboard is also white and the walls are a very pale aqua shade. More of a cottagey look.

www.letteredcottage.blogspot.com

tina

Here is a link that might be useful:

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

yes, stainless is a pain, (although I have metallic for my fridge). But I never ever bought SS because it was IN. It just looked so much better to put stainless next to my white cabs and black counters. White would have been, as so many point out 'not good' because there are so many different whites. Stainless is OUT THERE and I dont think it will go away. It is just a great choice that blends well with many colors. IMO, stainless is timeless just like white will always be. I have to say, though, depending how you pull it all together, white will look just great.And this is after seeing some examples.
    I do not think if you do the subway to darken the grout, that, IMHO, would look icky. Maybe just get it all in there and then decide the backsplash after you paint the area first. 2 houses we had we didnt even so any backsplash, just paint and some accessories and bright prints there,

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

throwing in my two cents here...since appliances aren't typically as beautiful as cabinets, I would think you'd want them to blend in with the cabinetry so as not to contrast and take away from the rest of the kitchen. In a white kitchen, white appliances for sure would be great. In a kitchen with wood, either panel front appliances, or SS would be my choice, simply because the appliances would blend better.

Black cabinetry with white appliances can look good too, but that's the exception that proves the rule, IMO.

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

igloochic- I know Corian isn't for everyone these days. I am not particularly fond of alot of it. However, I want a solid surface counter top, I want white with little to no variation, lines, colors, ect. There are some quartz options, however, at 5x the amount, it doesn't fit into the budget. I am dealing with "builder" prices here. The corian is meant to get us through the kids "rough" years until be can change it out IF we'd like. It's a very very affordable upgrade from the included laminate/formica counters which I picture being destroyed sooner than I care to think of. Do you have any other suggestions on counter tops that are as affordable?

I have looked at alot of pictures and have found many kitchens with both white and ss appliances beautiful. I sure have alot to think about!

• brickmanhouse
    14 years ago

First, I think you'd get even more opinions and great ideas if you post this in the Kitchens forum on this site-- there's an amazing wealth of knowledge and talent over there!

As far as the appliances go, most people have one of two goals with appliances: to make them blend in, or make them stand out.

With black cabinets, if you wanted the appliances to blend in, obviously you'd go with black or paneled to match the cabinets.

If you choose white, they are most definitely going to stand out, so you have to be prepared for that, and make your choices accordingly. Do you love the look of the white appliances you've chosen? Are they striking on their own and "design forward"? Do they fit with the overall style and mood of the kitchen (modern, retro, industrial, whatever)?

If the answers to these questions are yes, and you love the look, then go for it-- it's much more likely to look like an intentional design choice and less likely to look like you couldn't afford to upgrade old white appliances in your new kitchen.

Good luck with your project!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Your colors sound wonderful to me...I am a longtime fan of neutrals in the kitchen and bath. I don't see Corian mentioned by many folks here, but that is what I have in my kitchen. My cabinets are white, sink is white, appliances are white and I have pale green (Caribbean) Corian counter tops. Everyone loves the look of my kitchen and comment on how calming the colors are. I also say...go for it. The neat thing is you can dress up your room with any colors when you accesorize.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

DMW the issue is both a color issue and a texture issue. You describe a kitchen with yummy ebony cabinets, which will be without texture given the wood you've chosen (a great choice because it takes ebony stain beautifully). So then you pair it with stark white appliances which will read shiny and slick, your cabs are slick and you'll then pair that with the most artificial surface known to mankind...corian counters which read dull slick...too much of a good thing is a very bad thing :) Too slick.

Honestly, get formica. IF you're not going to go with a natural surface counter (wood, metal or stone) go with formica which may look artificial but it's not trying to mimic being something it's not. It would add a variation of surface texture to what is otherwise too much slickness, and if you truely feel you're settling, then settle higher with a lower cost item to have money for other things later.

With black cabs, you set a tone for a kitchen that needs to read sophisticated somewhat to really work. Pair that with white appliances and it won't work. Go with black appliances or stainless, but the white will read really cheap in there with the look of black cabs. And again, you'r pairing a wonderful wood with a plastic counter...it's not a good mix.

I buy homes alot and have looked at millions (ok not that many but several LOL as we arrange for corporate housing all the time). I'd take a kitchen with formica anyday over corian. Too many people object to the artificial nature of it, and paired with sophisticated cabs...you'll just highlight that more.

Vampire gives a good example of a kitchen that can work with white appliances..white cabs and a light counter. Your kitchen is pairing too many contrasts and a total lack of texture, which is as important in design as color.

And give your kids some credit :) We grew up with formica and yes after 20 years they might get tired, but they look a lot better than the three year old corian I threw out of my last kitchen! Formica is tough, and your kids are not that bad unless you're running a knife throwing contest in the kitchen daily.

MsMarv...she asked an opinion on her kitchen. If everyone said "oh that's lovely" where would we get any ideas? If on does not want an opinion they should not ask. And, totally tongue in cheek...but only my mother manages to scold me with any effectiveness at my age. It's probably better to have you leave that in her hands verses trying to do so yourself.

Had she not asked an "opinion" I wouldn't have volunteered one :)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

When I built a year ago, I really didn't want SS, but decided it was a new home, and should I decide to sell when the market improves, SS would be 'expected'. I have dark cabinets on the perimeter wall, and ivory glazed everywhere else so cabinet fronts wouldn't have worked either.

I disagree with you igloochic with re:to white looking 'cheap' *IF* appliances are upgraded to top of the line, or slightly below. IMO, white OR almond looks very sophisticated with dark cabs, as well as unexpected.

As with anything decorated related, it's a very personal choice. Don't be swayed or rely on the opinions of others as you might be very disappointed with the end results. ;o)

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Igloo ~ I think I was so startled to see you post..."I was so taken aback at the corian...". My apologies for sounding as If I were chastising because you're usually much more tactful than I am ;o)

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've seen corian and hated it, I've seen it and really enjoyed it. Without having my exact kitchen put together, I don't know that I'll hate it or love it- which at that point, is too late. I never thought Corian was trying to be something it's not. I am not trying to mimic stone with a "fake" stone or stone look on corian, nor wood, nor metal. I truly want a white countertop. Formica's white shows the seams in a way that I don't care for and my builder isn't the most "forward" thinking formica installer. :) The edging is horrible in most of the kitchens I've seen. We put together a kitchen with white cabinets and a beautiful gray sparkly formica.... I'm not against it, just didn't care for the installation and we quickly retreated before it was too late. AND, being how I am unable to do anything about that installation issue, I felt stuck. Recently I toured a newer home, in a MUCH nicer area then we'd be building, saw the use of a semi gloss, squared edge white corian- found it to be very attractive. However it was paired with a darker wood, albeit not an ebony.

Well, now I am feeling overly confused. I have a son with Autism and see him running in circles bonking himself on the head and that is exactly what I am feeling like! Who would have thought it was a kitchen design that would have made me feel closer to him! :)

• User
    14 years ago

Oh my.
    I have stayed out of this because:
    1- I have white appliances and "re-did" my kitchen and left them in. It almost became a point of pride for me to not succumb to the stainless brigade. Who knows if and when it is time to replace the appliances what I will decide, but they were "relatively" new (see here again is my reality- they were probably about 7 or 8 years old which to me means they SHOULD last for about that many more years) and working just fine. They were not state of the art top shelf be all and end all appliances but they are what I selected .
    2- I have light wood cabinets so I cannot speak to the ebony issue.
    3- While I am hopelessly addicted to these forums and find the advice and sharing of information and ideas amazingly wonderfully helpful, at times I have to say that I have to separate myself from it-- realizing that MY situation is just not the same as everyone else's.

DMWBCC~~ Please accept this cyberhug. Your response above really sounded like you felt the need to defend your choices. Please don't feel attacked; I am certain that there was no intention for you to feel that way.
    In any case- I am so sorry.

• User
    14 years ago

And forgot to add to my rant- that projectsneverend's kitchen seems to be a good example of what you are looking for and it looks lovely.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

dmwbcc ~ Take a deep breath and have a cup of tea LOL. If you like Corian, for goodness sake, go for it. I have seen Corian that, after a while and with uncalled for abuse, looks horrible. But that was one of the "original" Corian counters. I think any counter would look pretty bad if it wasn't maintained to a certain degree. After all, counters are workhorses so to speak, and to assume they'll just slide through the vast array of abuse without taking a hit is unrealistic. A dear friend lives in a very upscale community and when they built she went with Corian that had a pattern. I don't know the name but it was a cinnamon color with what looks like mica chips. It's absolutely stunning, not only to my eyes but to anyone who has visited their home. During one neighborhood/friend/family party, during conversation in their beautiful kitchen, some of their neighbors said they'd wished they had chosen a Corian rather than the soapstone or granite they had. To each their own. I'm an avid cook and a laminate gal. I figure if it works for Ina Garten, it works for me.

If you're drawn to it again and again, I believe you'll be making the choice that's right for you. And of course, please post pics with whatever your choice is.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Hi dmwbcc.

I'm the kind of person who accepts all types of surfaces, floors and appliances. Everyone's kitchens and ideas are unique and they have special needs, budgets and desires. This said, I was a bit taken aback , like Iggy, when you mentioned the Corain. But let me explain...

When we were building our home, the prices were as follows (rough estimates)...Formica standard, Corian + $7,000 and granite + 8,000-$10,000. They were very tight with the Corian supplier and, I suspect, were getting a nice kick-back.

After I read that your Corian wouldn't be much higher, I understood why you wanted it. Yes, they do have some nifty textures (or lack of) that are appealing, some with a nearly gelatinous appearance.

I agree that Formica's edging can be really bad, as we had a bevel on ours in our last house. Peeling can be an issue with those kind of edges. Also, after a short house sitting stay by my DD, knife marks had ruined the surface.

Get your Corian and enjoy! :)

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I've enjoyed reading this discussion, as I'm (again...permanently...forever) trying to decide if and how to remodel my own kitchen.

Re. the somewhat original question of appliance color and cabinets, I agree with those who said that in their opinion-and mine-white appliances wouldn't looks as nice against ebony cabinets as another choice.

As for countertops, igloochic shared a very useful post about her experiences looking at kitchens. However, the opinion about Corian is exactly that, one person's opinion. There is absolutely nothing plastic, tacky or low-end about Corian! It happens that she doesn't care for it. OTOH there are many things that igloochic and others like a lot that I don't care for. Same with just about any and everything related to anyone's home decoration choices. Nobody on this board is an arbiter of what is and isn't the "right" item or material, no matter how involved in the forum s/he may be.

So of course if Corian works for you and you like it, you should use it. Who else will be using and hopefully enjoying your home for years to come? Good luck with your choices. It sounds like you are working on a lovely kitchen!

Ann

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh goodness, thanks. I guess I was sidetracked. Really, the issue at hand is appliances and suddenly it was my counter tops... But, they are literally a few hundred to upgrade where as the Quartz I like, they don't even "carry" and they could "possibly" get it for the cost of $7400. When speaking of $7000 we kinda had to just "deal" with it. We were able to upgrade floors a bit, cabs a bit, counters a bit, carpet alot... so this way I feel like EVERYTHING has been touched, a little- because THAT is what is in our budget. Anyhow...

I can go on forever- but.... DH wants Stainless Steel appliances, he's choosing VERY little in this house, so I think I'll "let" him choose ss. :)

Thanks all for your thoughts and honesty! I am new to this forum and have found a lot of help!

• yogacat
    14 years ago

I'm in the process of replacing stainless steel appliances with white. I was delighted when the refrigerator died, so that I could start with the largest surface area. I lust for a stove in red - maybe a Bertazonni. I'll probably end up with white, but that's infinitely preferable to stainless or black. I like bisque a lot, too, but the options are really limited in that color.

Black and white are a classic combination, so I don't see a problem with ebony cabinets and white appliances. That combination can look stark and modern all the way to very traditional (think of a floor in black and white marble squares), depending on the style of the cabinets and other materials in the room. Ebony cabinets limit the possible design directions more than the white appliance, IMO. I'd be more concerned about whether the "taupey/grey glass" would work with the white.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Here are some photos I have, I hope they help visualize.
    I don't have any pictures of white appliances with ebony
    cabinets. Maybe someone could photo shop that.
    ~boxerpups

Fine Wood Cabinets

Kitchen Google image

Willowdecor

Bumberhauer

JennAir

SusanJab Bks

Hammerhead Remodeling

Country Style

Pearl Black Granite google image

Willworkforroses2 a Garden Webber

Here is a link that might be useful: whit app on this link

• mjsee
    14 years ago

Just needed to stick up for Corian...we inherited the kitchen that came with our house...13 years ago. And it wasn't put in by the person we bought from...but the owner before that. So...figure 15 years, minimum. The ONLY thinkg I like about my kitchen is the Corian counter and integrated sink.

It looks just like it did when we bought 13 years ago. I had the money saved up for a re-do...and then had to spend it on a major retaining wall project. And then kids in college...it's to the point that I figure by the time I can really re-do my kitchen...I won't be cooking all that much any more. ;^)

If, by some miracle, I won a pile of money and could do my "dream kitchen"...Corian would still be on the list of consideration for counters. It's incredibly functional, quiet, warm to the touch, and if I knock over a wine glass it doesn't shatter. (None of which can be said for granite.) I'm also intrigued by the paperstone products.

Formica can be a great counter as well...and I haven't ruled it out...but for me, form follows function...and Corian has outperformed granite. (I'm clumsy.)

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I will try to get a picture of my kitchen posted here...I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I am happy with it. I see some absolutely gorgeous kitchens on this board made with all kinds of products and I appreciate them all. With message boards, gotta take all the feedback...we ask for it. Everyone has their own style and likes/dislikes...bottom line is...everything that is posted might eventually help someone decide on their choices. OK...now off to declutter the counters and figure out the picture thang...LOL

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I like Corian counters and was pricing one with an integrated sink out for my laundry room but it's more expensive than getting a granite remnant.

I only wish I had ss appliances! We have black and it's keeping me from painting my oak cabinets, since I prefer ss (or white) appliances with white cabinets. When my appliances start dying (they're 10 years old, should be soon, right?), they will most likely be replaced with ss.

I'm sure your ebony cabinets, ss appliances, and white Corian counter will be gorgeous. I can't wait to see pictures!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Ok now don't misread what I have posted ladies. I don't think white appliances look cheap in all instances. In many they're the only right choice! While I have stainless, I also have black appliances and am probably going to put a white stove (maybe black) in the new kitchen. White does not need to be top of the line designer to work well in a kitchen...it's the sum of the whole (as I like to say). White cabinets with black appliances also looks bad (IMO) as they look like either a cheap afterthought (maybe kept the old stuff) or a bad design choice unless the color is incorporated in other areas of the ktichen well (ie a black and white check floor etc).

But black cabinets stand out in a world of their own. When done in an antiqued finish, they're rustic and yet elegant beyond any other cabinet color or style...yummy. And when done on a new cabinet with a tight wood grain, they're sleek and lucious. They're a wonderful design choice that too few pick because they fall too quickly in the "don't want a dark kitchen etc" camp that too many land in and end up with boring kitchens instead. But much like a colored cabinet, red, blue, yellow, if you do go black you need to do it right. The contrast of a black and white for cab and countertop is a great contrast. I'm always taken aback by corian because I owned it, know it was stupid expensive, and resented the cracks, scratches, stains, etc that were on my new corian counters....horrific stuff that costs too much. I don't get people who spend the same amount or close on corian that they would for something like stone or metal or wood (and before you think I'm all stone all the time, I have metal counters and adore them...I'd kill for copper...fabulous stuff, and love my stainless counters). I also have a wonderful formica, but my installer did wonderful edges so that wasn't a worry. I can understand the issue of edge worries if they don't do a good job. And if the only choice was formica with bad edges and seams verses corian...well of course I'd go corian.

But as to the appliances...SS is fine, it's timeless, and it works, but in your sleek new kitchen I'd actually consider black far sooner than I'd consider stainless but they are the better choice to white so you don't have stark holes of color in the kitchen (think black hole gone opposite LOL)

The stainless will work well if that's what DH wants (cave it's always worth it) :) And don't take any "white is cheap" comment to heart....it's not, it just has it's place as does any other material used in the decorating and design world. In your case, it could damage the look of your fabulous cabinets...that's all I'm saying.

I'm sorry I wasn't tactful enough. It's been a long week and sometimes I'm too short. I was taken aback because of the high (normally) cost of corian and generally just don't get the choice. This is because I've had two corian counters in the past and they didn't preform. In addition, most people who put it in at full price expect top dollar when they're selling their home because they put in corian, but it's such a ummm gad how to say...specialty finish, that it's very hard to place someone in a corporate condo when it's in, so we always rip it out asap and put in anything else. No not just stone :oP

Actually in your kitchen, if you want white appliances really badly, I'd go with builder grade black and white granite which is amazingly cheap (less than formica) and has a fabulous color sequence in it that would pull your black cabinets into the design with white cabinets and make the whole thing flow wonderfully. or go with a wonderful black and white glass tile backsplash in a checkerboard pattern to pull them together...it would be yummy, yummy yummy!

Again I'm sorry...on a personal note, I've been blessed with the special needs challenge myself and don't want you to have to resort to calming medication though many times they'r so tempting heh heh :) But do enjoy something stronger than green tea while you're working on this kitchen....you'll need it!

MsMarve...LOL I actually almosted called mom and asked if she'd changed her screen name.

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

igloochic, thanks for your thoughts. No worries, I'll survive this kitchen design. Somehow, someway. :) And, I was able to "talk" our designer in to a better price on the ss appliances we originally wanted. :) I said I'd take the ss if we could get the ones we wanted, otherwise we'd take the higher end white. So- who knows what's next! :)

To all- thanks for you your thoughts too! I appreciate it!