Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgreatdeals

My new kitchen needs help!!

msgreatdeals
12 years ago

Where I live now I remodeled the kitchen 2-3 years ago with alot of help from this forum and it came out beautiful.

Now I'm moving into a former rental of ours and I need help.

Wondering what color to paint the walls. Want to add hardware on to the cabinets and don't know what metal to use. Will be replacing white appliances in 2-3 years to either black or stainless steel. Floor will be replaced at that time with wood. I believe the cabinets are maple and are in excellent condition. Condo was built in 2005. Don't know the name of the granite counter and there is a back splash of travetine.

Hopefully, I remember how to post a picture!Sorry it came out so big!

Comments (10)

• caminnc
    12 years ago

I don't think it needs much other than paint and bar stools. I think a gray a little darker than the carpet would be very pretty. A green with gray undertones would also be sharp. Maybe you could add a chandy if you have wiring. Art, clock, or shelves on the left wall would look great. What style do you love?

• User
    12 years ago

I think your color choice should reflect the furnishings and style of the wider room. Your kitchen is part of an open plan and should be an integral part of the overall design. That said, I think that hardware in a satin brass might look interesting on your cupboards, although you would have to change it if you went with SS appliances down the road. A soft gold with a grayish undertone would be a pretty color as would the gray or green suggested above. But the color really needs to be determined by the colors and style you are planning for the open concept room.

• User
    12 years ago

See if the cabinet company that supplied the cabinets still has the same color available and pick up some crown molding and some flat stock and take the molding to the ceiling here. I'd also get some of the 1/4" paneling (bendable) and filler stock (to cover the seams and creating a fake "door" look) and cover the back of that island with wood instead of paint as well. It will look much better not standing out so much. Add under cabinet lighting. Redo the backsplash to something that isn't so similar to the counter in color.

For paint, something in the smoky blue gray would work well with the warm reddish colors of the wood.

Valspar Shark Loop

Benjamin Moore Blue Springs

Or even a greyed down blue green.

Benjamin Moore Covington Blue

Sherwin Williams Halcyon Green

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

We have the SW Halycon Green in our LR, and it is a great neutral color. Also, look at the next color up, Quietude, that is a little more lighter.

I agree, that finding one neutral color that will work in the open space will work best.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I have also used Halycon Green, and really like it. We've paired it with Nomadic Desert and Latte.

• msgreatdeals
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The carpet is beige, no gray tones. I will be buying all new furniture and bar stools. Whatever color I use, will have to be used in the dining area to the right and on the left is the living room.
    All the colors shown, I like. Where I live now, my office is like blue springs and I love it.
    I believe the granite is Venetian gold. I have a thing for SW Blonde and have it in 2 rooms where I live now. I have Latte too but think it might be too dark.
    Guess I should decide on furniture first.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I would paint the front of the island black to stand out from the wall color and cabinets

• msgreatdeals
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like that idea of the black because as you walk in the front door, that is what you see. Then what type of bar stools would look good with the black?

• amykath
    12 years ago

Something creamy or tan. What other furniture and colors do you have going in that room. So, maybe a brown wood like the cabs with cream or beige based fabric.

These are spendy but this style would look great!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stool

• amykath
    12 years ago

These are more affordable and look comfy. Still...not sure of your style or what exactly you are looking for.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stool