Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Paint for a bike

girlndocs
17 years ago

Apologies if this is off topic here. I know the topic here is usually paint in the context of homes, but advice or directions to a place where it would be more on topic would be equally welcome.

I have a vintage Schwinn bicycle in completely rideable condition, but cosmetically it's pretty sad and I was thinking it's time to do better by it. Someone, at some point, primed over the original color with black and gray, a color sceme I'm perfectly OK with, but the primer has dinged and scraped since then, and also there is rust both on some painted parts and on some of the metal (i.e. the wheels and spokes).

I've never painted anything metal before. Should I use a spray product or a paint-on one? What is a good brand, what kind of brush (if any) should I use, and how much can I expect to shell out for it all? Any general advice on the procedure?

Thanks so much,

Kristin

Comments (4)

• Faron79
    17 years ago

Hey girl,
    If it was my ride, I'd get a 220-grit sponge and lightly sand all areas, Spray-prime, and then 3 or 4 coats of color.

Might be easiest to take off tires, then tape-off/cover other areas, & start sprayin'!
    * Rustoleum has good paints/primers. You could do 2 coats of their sandable primer, then sand it b4 topcoating. Pretend you're doing autobody!
    * If you're thinking a deep color, use a grey spray-primer.
    * You might git-r-done for ~ $15 of product.

Faron

• girlndocs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Faron. Use a spray topcoat as well? And when I sand, do I need to try and sand off the primer that's actually there or just smooth it out?

If I did decide on a color other than black, can I get paints like Rustoleum custom mixed like the way I can get house paint?

Kristin

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

Agree with Faron, I've had great luck with Rustoleum. Their spray products come in a vast array of colors, so you should be able to find something appealing ;) Some vendors carry more colors than others, so go to a local store that carries a good color selection (my independent paint dealers have skimpy color choices, whereas Ace, Sears Hardware, and Menards carry a good choice).

Just my .02, you don't need to sand off current primer unless it's chipping or rusting. Strive for a level surface for sure (the slightest ridge from bare metal to primer will show through when you've sprayed on the paint, so you want that sanded well so there's a smooth transition, no ridges or bumps or chips).

Be sure to wear a mask, stay away from objects and buildings you don't want spray paint 'drift' to get onto, and don't paint on a windy day ;) Several light coats produce a far better result that a couple heavy coats with spray paint. If you've never used spray paint, practice on a piece of scrap cardboard first, to get the hang of it (you'll see that if you get too close and spray you get paint runs).

• view_west
    17 years ago

It might be cool to go with a faux finish -- granite? Terra cotta? Crackle glaze? Matte black can look really suave. I'm jealous!

Good advice here, and if you wear eyeglasses, be forewarned that the little spray specks can be tough to remove from plastic lenses. Maybe coat your face and forearms with lotion (or wear a long sleeved shirt), the paint aerosols will coat each arm hair, oww! A mask is essential too, I can imagine those paint droplets coating my lung alveoli...

Take before and after photos to share.

VW

Here is a link that might be useful: stone finishes at Rustoleum

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!