Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarado_gw

Can't figure out a good great room layout

TARado
13 years ago

When my wife and I moved into our house our movers put things where they thought was best since we had no idea where we wanted stuff. Our great room has bugged me since we have moved in but I honestly don't know why. My wife says the layout is "OK" but has convinced herself that there is no better layout.

I finally have her convinced that if I give her an idea of a better layout she'll try it, but now I am so used to how it is that I can't seem to come up with one I like either...

So I need a fresh perspective!

My paint skills suck, so it isn't up to scale... but here it is:

http://i52.tinypic.com/dbtaae.jpg

Purple lines = end of carpet/room

Black box = full size couch (both ends recline)

Blue box = full size love seat (console in middle, both seats recline)

Red boxes = end tables for couch

Black Triangle = TV/stand

Green lines = DVD racks

The wall behind the love seat is 7-8 feet long, but is only a full wall for about five feet and then slopes down (stairs on the other side).

So... Please help! Any ideas would be awesome and sorry again that my skills with paint are nonexistent!

Comments (3)

• les917
    13 years ago

The drawing not being to scale might make this more complicated, and perhaps not worthwhile since what appears to fit may not. Pix would be helpful.

My main question is how tall is the window? Is it workable to put furniture in front of it?

What I would do is put the loveseat (blue) where the couch is now, and keep the one end table that is by the wall. That way the view and entry space from the foyer aren't as crowded

Put the couch on the window wall, and use the other end table down at the end of the couch. I assume both end tables have lamps.

Put the tv in the corner where the 15'11" wall meets the sloping wall, and put the dvd racks to the right of the tv on the sloping wall. I assume this will work with the angle, unless the racks are 6 feet tall.

The end wall of the room might even have room for a console table with a couple of ottomans tucked underneath for more seating, some art on the wall, and another lamp.

• TARado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I'm sorry it isn't scale. I'm not at home right now so couldn't measure anything out. It's close, though.

The window is 72 inch square window placed directly in the middle of the wall. The walls are 8 feet, so there is about a foot and a half of wall above and below the window (slightly more below I believe, but not much).

I've always been afraid to put a couch in front of a window, but I'll have to talk it over with the wife.

The racks aren't very tall and would fit there well, actually. A console table would work great there too.

Any other ideas? (I want to be able to have as many different layouts when I talk to my wife lol).

Thanks!!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Here's a live link for you. I'll look and see if I still have a link to graph paper for you to use to get your drawing to scale that should help with rearranging.

Here is a link that might be useful: