Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teched_gw

Granite seams around cooktop/sink

teched
16 years ago

One fabricator I spoke with wants to seam the middle of my sink and my cooktop. It this normal? They do rod the sink.

Another will "strip in" the cooktop, placing a strip at the back and front of the cooktop. This seems to be a very efficient use of the product and eliminates all but one of the other potential seams.

Your thoughts? Experiences? Pictures?

Comments (8)

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Different fabricators have preferences one way or the other. Mine put at a seam at the sink (to line up with cabinet below). He put in lots of reinforcement using angle iron and seam particularly at back is hardly noticeable. Saved a big seam on counter.

He also just put in a strip behind our slide in range- again seam is invisible.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

We have one dead center in the sink cutout -- I didn't want it there at the time, having read (on this forum and elsewhere) differing opinions about the wisdom of that, but the granite place insisted, saying they ALWAYS do it there and in fact, the narrow strip around the sink is the weakest point and better to have a seam there than have the pressure on a solid, but thin, piece of granite. In reality, it's completely invisible. (The sink is rodded, of course, but I don't think they did any other reinforcing.) We also have a single strip behind the rangetop, seamed at both ends. They did it that way without asking if I had any other preference (I didn't!) I imagine you might notice any seam a little more with a more uniform stone -- ours has lots of movement and lots of different colors and the seams just blend right in.

Front and rear sink seams:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• teched
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, ctlady, those seams look great! Thanks for the visual. I am happy to hear that other have had the stripped in cooktops or slide in ranges. With my layout, I think this will work very nicely. I will have that big Orca sink too!

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

You will LOVE-LOVE-LOVE that Orca sink! Next to the Beach prep sink, it was our smartest investment! We use both racks, letting washed dishes drain on the right hand one. The sink's deep enough that under most circumstances, even with dishes (wine glasses, etc.) on that rack, you barely see them from elsewhere in the room. It is just a fabulous sink! (I did invest -- on ebay -- in several large tubes of the Inox cleaner that they come with. I use it only occasionally (usually before guests come!), but the sink certainly looks brand-new when I get done. Well worth buying a larger tube for the once-in-awhile spiffing up.

• jayav
    16 years ago

Anybody with some advice...I have a fabricator who is suggesting using a small bridge piece of granite behind my farm sink. This bridge piece will connect the grantie slab pieces on ether sides of the sink. So there will be two small seams where this piece joins the slab pieces.

It seems like a weak spot to me for the seams although it would be the smallest seams...my concern is because there will be 4 holes in this bridge piece for faucets etc.

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

We have almost 16 feet of counter with one seam in at the middle of the sink. I don't have a close up picture but we are happy with the seam as our granite has quite a bit of movement.

Here is the sink picture with the seam:

• raehelen
    16 years ago

jtsgranite-

Wow, I had to look super closely to even see the seam! They did a very good job!

Have you ever used your sinks? If so, please share what you clean them with- they look show room perfect!

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

raehelen,

The secret is to not use them. LOL

These were taken right after the counters were installed and the sink had not been used much.

They are Elkay Lusterstone series and still look very nice cleaning it with regular dishsoap. I have used Bar Keepers Friend a couple of times to clean some stubborn stains.

We are happy with the seams at the sink. With granite that has a lot of movement, I believe a seam at the sink would be less noticeable then a long seam somewhere else in the countertop.