Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyhouse1021

Should white cabinet paint be the same as other white in house?

rubyhouse1021
15 years ago

I am in the process of deciding on cabinet door style, but I know I want the color to be an off-white, slightly creamy. The doors, trim, and mouldings throughout the house are pretty white, just a hair off-white. The cabinets will be custom painted, and I'm wondering if it would be okay to have them be a different shade of white than the rest of the white in the house. There are 2 doors (pantry and basement) in the kitchen, as well as the baseboards, so the 2 whites will be very near each other. I'm afraid one white will make the other look "dirty". The existing white may have a more greyish undertone (I don't really know) while the white I'd like for the cabinets would have a creamy (yellow??) undertone, but only very slightly creamy. Will this clash? Maybe I should just stick with the exact same color formula as the trim, etc. Any opinions and advice will be appreciated!

Comments (7)

• november
    15 years ago

I'm embarassed to say I didn't give this any thought when we chose creamy cabinets, but it's worked out fine. Our trim is more of a real white, the cabinets are more of a vanilla. We have a white-trimmed window between two creamy cabinets and I never notice they're slightly different colors. We also have white beadboard on a non-cabinet wall in the kitchen that's the same white as the window trim but different from the cabinets, and that doesn't jump out at me either. Our kitchen chairs are a different creamy white than the creamy white cabinets, and that also doesn't bug me. This might not help, but that's the report from a creamy/regular white kitchen!

• blakey
    15 years ago

I think it's fine to mix shades of white; in fact, in my opinion it adds interest and dimension. Go with what you love and it will look great!

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I have "pretty white" trim throughout my house as well, and just had creamy white cabinets installed. I stressed about what to paint my trim! I stuck to the same white as the rest of the house and it turned out fine. The differences in white do not draw attention to themselves, everything just blends.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I'll echo what blakey said about different whites adding dimension to your space. I have white cabinets, my wall color is SW "Creamy" and my trim is SW "Snowbound." The trim is the whitest white. I think the colors look fresh and light, but not too stark and antiseptic.

The only thing I would caution against is if you are painting your walls white, not to have that shade brighter than the cabinets set against it. That's when your cabinets might look as though they have "yellowed."

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Sounds fine to me, and, in fact, I think I would prefer them not to be the same...Can you paint something to simulate a cabinet door and put it up next to your trim to double check? I think your concern about one looking 'dirty' is valid. They don't have to match, but you don't want one making the other look bad. You may have to adjust your choice to get the right combo.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I think they look better when they are different colours. When everything matches it can look like a bit contrived.

• rubyhouse1021
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sailormann, I totally agree about it looking too contrived when everything is the same. But I recently saw a designer on an HGTV show say that when you do 2 different shades of white, one always ends up looking "dirty," so she suggested painting the cabinets the same shade as the doors and trim. This is why I've been so unsure...I don't want a contrived look but I also don't want to end up with a dirty look. I guess I was just looking for people to tell me that the designer wasn't necessarily correct...