Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwissie_gw

Cabinet Paint Recommendations/Feedback

kwissie
13 years ago

I'm planning on painting some cabinets that are currently a honey maple color. As I plan to do this myself I would love some feedback on what I'm thinking about using.

Plan on spraying with a compressor/HVLP gun using CoverStain Primer and then Insl-X Cabinet Coat (x2 coats). Not sure if I need a sealer/top coat.

Thoughts/recommendations???

Thanks!

Kwissie

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Cabinet Coat does not need a sealer. Good luck with the project!

• kelligirl
    13 years ago

This is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I plan to use BIN, shellac based primer and Cabinet Coat paint, brushing the bases and using the HVLP to spray the doors and drawers.

I am concerned about how the BIN will do in the HVLP, and if I can thin it effectively, as well as the short open time of both while brushing...

How did this work out for you, kwissie? Does anyone else have any tips using this method/these mediums?

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I have never sprayed BIN or used an HVLP, but the BIN product itself is very thin bodied....you will likely not need to thin it.

• kelligirl
    13 years ago

Thanks paintguy! I've been reading the boards for the last few days and see alot of helpful posts from you. Can you answer another question for me? I went to my local ACE today looking for Cabinet Coat, and they don't carry it. They do, however, have both Ace cabinet, door and trim, as well as BM Waterbourne Satin Impervo. Which would you recommend for my application?

• jwheatie
    13 years ago

I just painted my cabinets, and they look amazing (thanks to previous advice on this forum). Here were my steps (in a nutshell). I couldn't sand, as I was worried about old lead paint (and they still look fantastic):

1. Clean surface with a mixture of h20, rubbing alcohol, and a little bit of vinegar (recipe found here on this forum).

2. BIN primer, brushed and rolled on. (This primer rocks my world.)

3. Benjamin Moore Waterbased Satin Impervo (Decorator's White), using a 4" velour roller, and then brushing out the finish immediately after (to avoid a stippled effect).

Just an FYI, the Satin Impervo has held up really well, I love it. But you do have to be fast if you're going to brush over it. But it's worth it to do it that way, imo.

I love my paint job, it's just the ugly window trim next to it that I now need to attack.

I have a 16 month old and a 6 year old, so I just don't have any time to do it!!!! Ugh.

Good luck!

Jen

• User
    13 years ago

Take a look at these steps for painting cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Six Steps