Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hovegator

What color for gutters? Match roof, house or trim?

hovegator
17 years ago

We are getting new gutters and they come in an array of colors. I've been driving around looking at houses to see what the norm is for color matching. Some seem to have gutters that match the roof, some match the house body color and some match the trim. Any preferences?

Comments (9)

• patricianat
    17 years ago

This is something that has always boggled my mind. There were no gutters on the houses in my area as the roofs were supposed to be sloped so that they would not be needed, very tall roofs, many angles to them. After a few of the residents had termites secondary to water damage, and while some others had water damage only, we decided to add gutters. Argh. We have Georgia clay brick and very little trim as the sides of the house have quoins and they do not place shutters on some of the houses with them at the corners, sides and in the window area. Our trim is a light gray color and our two shutters are black as is the area over the paladian window over the front door. Not much going on except brick and I have not yet found a color that quite looks like Georgia clay.

• nunz
    17 years ago

Brick house here too. I just got new gutters and roof. I got black gutters to match the house's trim. The gutter guy was amazed. He said that he did white most of the time and most people don't ask about any other color. Personally, I like the black gutters.

So I say go with the trim. Unless you have a white house. Then go white.

• sue36
    17 years ago

I would match the trim. Unless you get copper, of course, which matches nothing, but looks gorgeous. Have you ever priced copper gutters? Spendy.

We have white trim, pale gray siding and a dark gray roof. We will be doing white gutters (because I am unwilling to sell a kidney to get copper).

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Sue, LOL, and I would be unwilling as well, but that would be very pretty with my terra cotta Georgia clay brick. Sounds like black is it.

• robinva
    17 years ago

Gutters can be considered trim. I recently built a house and I matched the the gutters to the color of the windows and doors. It works well and I am satisfied with the results. What you DO NOT want is to make them jump out and become the focal point of your house, as would be the case if you painted your garage door pink and your house was white. This is done frequently and frankly I do not understand why as the garage then becomes the focal point. Good luck.
    Robin

• rosesr4me
    17 years ago

I prefer to have gutters match the fascia trim. My house is beige with a lighter cream trim, including the facia board. I put up ivory gutters so it blends into the fascia. I totally agree with robinva....you shouldn't highlight the gutters, but have them recede into the background color, whatever it may be. Good luck!

• colorcrazed
    17 years ago

We have used deep bronze gutters to match the metal roofing used on the front 'eye brow' and porch roof- they are darker then the trim, which does match the window frame color- but they match the oiled bronze lighting and metal accents used on the exterior of the house.
    I think it is funny how different parts of the country have such different design styles though... I have friends in other parts of the country who would really hate our choices!!!

• pfaupeacocck2000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We have a white colonial with a brown roof and some brick in the front. The shutters are brown also. The facia board and gutters are brown. Should we paint the facia and gutters white so they don't stick out? Also, we were told that brown shutters are out and we should replace with black shutters?