Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Help me choose which dining room chandelier !

Tell me what you think! I have narrowed down my choices for my chandelier. I literally started with 50 choices that I liked, we laid them down on the dining room table and walked around eliminating last weekend, and these are the finalists. All of these are in bronze, or bronze/gold colors. We will be painting and adding molding, etc., after we finish choosing permanent items for the room.

One issue is width:

According to formulas I have found here: based on room size, it should be about 25 inches. Based on the formula of table size it should be 30".

(room is 13 long by 12 wide = 25) (2/3s width of 45" table is 30")..

So everything I am considering is between those 2 sizes. Current ghastly colonial builderÂs fixture (shown in the room photo) , always looked way too small for the room at 22". So I am thinking that even 25 might still be too small. The prospective fixture that is my favorite, however, is almost 30". Will that be too big for the room?

Here is something I set up to show scale. Not sure how well it will show up here. I have put two wood dowels into the arms of the old chandelier. Each has hanging tabs of masking tape at the ends to indicate width. The tab is all the way at the end on the left side, and a few inches in on the right. The lower dowel is 25 ½, representing the smallest chandelier, and the upper is 29 ¼, representing the widest.

The vertical yellow thing you see sticking up? ThatÂs a tape measure, extended to show where the bottom of the new chandelier will be. The old one is hiked up to allow moving the furniture.

Looking at these for scale, IS the longer 29 ¼ one too wide?

Here are my choices:

Favorite stylisticallyÂbut the width is 29 ¼ .

Another choice: still 29. Color is described as "silvery gold" whatever that means.

Two narrower ones: this one is 26. This is my second favoriteÂbut I wonder if it is too bulky/klunky. ItÂs also a lot more expensive than the others.

This one is 25 ½.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• 14 years ago

My choice would be #1. I like the bigger style with the size of your table and I also like it the best of all the choices.

• 14 years ago

Thanks, yayagal.

Sale is over Saturday...so I am bumping for more feedback! This forum is so active that I'm on the second page only 12 hours after posting :(

• 14 years ago

I went to measure my table and my chandy. The table is 47.5 inches, and the chandy is 25.5 inches. The room is 15ft x 15 ft.

I have always liked the size of the chandy in relation to the table and the room. I would not like it any smaller, and I suppose it could go just a bit bigger.

I hope this in someway is helpful to you.

• 14 years ago

Is there any way you could get a general overall shot of the Dining room with your chairs around the table, etc.?

• 14 years ago

Voila! The miracle of digital. I left the dowels in that show widths of the chandeliers in question. Table is in it's smallest, no leaves length. I didn't put the chairs in on the camera facing side.

Second shot is pulled back to show the more typical view of the room from the foyer.

a href="http://tinypic.com"; target="_blank">

Third shows the windows a bit.

• 14 years ago

I like number 3 best (though it looks more coppery than brass on my monitor.)

• 14 years ago

Before these pics, #3 was my favorite. But after seeing your entire DR, I think you could pull off #1 because of the size of the piece of furniture on the left side of the room.

BTW, very beautiful pieces!

• 14 years ago

I love #1 as well. I agree the original one is way undersized.

• 14 years ago

#1 is beautiful and gets my vote! :)

• 14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm going with # 1. Ordering it tomorrow!

• 14 years ago

Will you be leaving the wallpaper and paint as is? If so, tho #1 suits the style of the furnishings, I don't care for the amber glass in your space.

I would look for a similar style but in a pewter or antiqued nickel finish, with white glass shades.

Pix can be deceiving, but I am also wondering if you have considered turning the table the other direction? Where does the rug normally go?

• 14 years ago

There will be some changes. The top painted area stays. It looks pink in photos for some reason but it is actually salmon. The lower painted area (currently looks raspberry) will be painted a deep blue green. I will be adding trim and a new textured anaglypta border to separate the two painted areas. The trim can be painted any color; I will see how everything else looks before I decide on that. I was thinking a vanilla color but IÂm open. Adjacent rooms have a peachy white on the trim which goes well.

Also in the room, which do not show, are 2 gold framed mirrors: a dusky antique gold. The buffet lamps are a silvery gold. Once everything else is done I can always add touches of whatever color is necessary to the mirror or lamps to tie them in better. Yet I didnÂt want an all gold chandelier.

I had reservations about the shades too. I went through a LOT of choices, and many were more amber than these. IÂm thinking that this is something that does not photograph accurately when they are shooting catalog pictures. They need to show it lit, so have to put a low wattage bulbs in. A proper wattage bulb will show whiter. I noticed this and asked about it when I was still shopping locally. Most shades looked yellowish to me, but in the stores they were all using low wattage bulbs.

I do like the style of the shades in #1. I noticed that the shape looks exactly like the shade in the second chandelier, which is from a different website. Yet the second one looks whiter. So the shades in the first one might look whiter in reality than they do in the photo.

I never thought about rotating the table! I just placed it oriented to the long axis of the room. Yet with the furniture in there, the open floor space may not be rectangular. Something to try.

You are right, that rug does not belong there normally! It goes in front of the outside door. But in winter we donÂt want salt/dirt on the good rug, so move a cheap expendable one into its place. Down the road we may get an oriental for under the tableÂor maybe not. The room is busy as it is.

• 14 years ago

I'm too late to vote, but I'm glad you chose #1 that you loved best.

Don't second guess yourself and worry that it will be too wide. Width is fine. I even chose a looooong chandelier designed for a kitchen island for over our dining room table -- how's that! And it looks fantastic.

Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room chandelier

• 14 years ago

Gellchom, that does go perfectly! I'm jealous of how big your dining room is! (though I confess I could make some of my rooms look bigger if I took out some furniture!)