Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindiw2

What does a 'neutral tinting base' do?

cindiw2
15 years ago

What does neutral tinting base do? It's supposed to be a one-coat application. Do you add it to color? what do you do with it?

Comments (3)

• Faron79
    15 years ago

What does a "Neutral" tinting-base do?!

NOTHING...without a TON of colorant!
    * Neutral tint-bases are used to make the darkest colors.
    * Without colorant, they're almost clear!
    * Most/all of the high-opacity TI02 is left out on purpose, so vibrant colors aren't muted by the White.
    * "ONE COAT" from a Neutral base?!?!? Only if you apply it 1/2" thick!
    * Seriously, these bases/colors ALMOST ALWAYS need the help of a tinted primer (often Gray), to look good after 2 FULL topcoats applied ~5 hours apart.

Some Ralph-Lauren Burgundies take the auto-tinter over a minute to pump all the colorant in!! 14 ounces of it sometimes!

Faron

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, well just wondering. Faron, you said:
    * "ONE COAT" from a Neutral base?!?!? Only if you apply it 1/2" thick!

Well, this was a charity version of Martha Stewart's one coat neutral base.

"* Seriously, these bases/colors ALMOST ALWAYS need the help of a tinted primer (often Gray), to look good after 2 FULL topcoats applied ~5 hours apart."

Could you explain please? But anyway, I'll just get rid of the neutral base because I'm hoping to paint in a light yellow/beige type thing.

"Some Ralph-Lauren Burgundies take the auto-tinter over a minute to pump all the colorant in!! 14 ounces of it sometimes!"

Well, this is Martha Stewart and I looked in the can and wanted to see what color it was, I swirled it around with a stick and nothing came up for a while, FINALLY something whitish came up, but I guess I won't mess with it. Thanks for reply. And oh yes, while we're at it: what would happen if I added this base to a can of colored paint?

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Sounds like you have an UN-tinted can of Neutral-base paint?
    If that's the case, it's useless without colorant.

DON'T add it to a light color because you'll only make that color more diluted/transparent.

I did briefly explain in previous post about the sheerness of dark tint-bases needing dark primers.

Faron