Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annemaxwell_gw

use of vintage linens

annemaxwell
16 years ago

I have 3 med. boxes of 40 years plus doilies and runners. I don't want to throw them away, but don't know what to do with them. Are there some decorating ideas. Or are there some crafts I can use them in, for keepsakes preferably.

Comments (13)

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Any pics? I am looking for some doilies and runners for my bedroom to put under lamps and silk flowers and decorating items to protect my furniture. Maybe if you have too many you can sell them to those who would like them. Are they off-white, ivory or white? Also you can keep a few for yourself to put under lamps and flower vases if it still fits your decor.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I hope Allison will post her framings of beautiful antique hankies, etc. I have a pineapple table doily framed in a sort of shadow box frame that my mother crotched/tatted back in the 40s.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

I know they aren't popular now but I use them anyway. I guess it's just because it's more like home then. My mom and Aunt made many, many, many doilies, and I use them. I also have a pillow case edging my grandmother (who died when my mom was born) made that I use for a shelf edging.

The weird colored, like bright pink or lime green, I use to pack things in at Christmas.

• primgal36
    16 years ago

You could frame them and place photos and other momentos of your family with them.
    I've seen where some take hankies and make a valance with them.
    I'm sentimental,I would do something with them.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I've seen them incorporated into quilts (lovely). Years ago my mother made drapes for my daughter's dollhouse out of my grandmother's antique handkerchiefs - they are as beautiful in the dollhouse today as they were then. It's fun to use vintage linen on a dining table - great for a patio meal especially.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I have my some of my gramma's hankies framed - love having the visual memories of her around! I have her colorful, everyday hankies and some of the fancy, only for show lace ones, too. I know what you mean, though - I have many many more pieces of lace and tatting - there's a limit to what I can use.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Those are just so lovely.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Those hankies are so lovely they made me cry. I have some of my mother's hankies. She always made sure we had our hankies, too. She gave me one of my grandmother's beautiful white lace hankies to carry just before I walked down the isle on my wedding day. I've been thinking about framing them; but now I am truly inspired to do it.
    What did you use to mount them on/with?

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Annie that's fabric mat under the hankies, There are just a couple of teeny blind stitches to hold them in place and square them up a bit. I love having things around me from loved ones now gone. Everytime I use my gramma's big pottery bread bowl, its as if she's standing just over my shoulder watching....and critiquing!

Thank for the compliment Pat. They're really fabric art, aren't they?

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! I love what you did!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Wonderful display ideas -- and a way to truly honor your grandmother! Simply lovely! And just look at those colors too!

Runners are still used on dining and kitchen tables! They are always recommended here on the Forum.

Another simple way to display small vintage linens -- piled in a large bowl that works with your decor -- maybe silverplate? for a dining room? or a pottery bowl in the kitchen or family room?

I use a handmade(crocheted) dresser or mantel scarf as a valance over the kitchen window. Simply put clear-headed tacks through the holes -- and hang it up!

• mry193
    16 years ago

dlm, Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind if I save your pictures. I've seen vintage hankies and doilies framed before but I have to say these are the prettiest I seen. I just love the 'show lace ones', so simple but so nicely done. I have a few of my mom's that I am hoping to frame one day soon. I will hang them in my sewing room as that is how I remember seeing my mom so often, sitting behind the sewing machine. With 10 daughters she did a LOT of sewing. :)
    Mari

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Here's what I did with a doily and a bit of lace as a birthday gift for a friend. We have lots of inherited lace and tatting and I thought it would be fun to use some of it.