Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvdecor1

I love this lamp BUT...

luvdecor1
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I tried to search for the answer on my own but had no luck.

I recently found an old lamp that I would like to use in my foyer with a black shade but it has some strange white stuff in between the lines of the lamp. I attached a pic. I'll try to add another.

Can anyone please tell me what this is and how should I clean it off?
Thank you all so much in advance for your advice.

Comments (23)

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's another picture of the entire thing. I think it just needs a little love to bring it back to its glory, at least I hope thats the case.

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

It appears to be brass. If so, you can try in an inconspicuous place, maybe the bottom of the pineapple, to clean with a little warm water & Barkeepers Friend. A toothbrush would probably work well in the grooves, a soft cloth elsewhere.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

At first I thought maybe it was supposed to be contrast finish to the brass, but it looks as if it is brass polish that got in the lines and wasn't removed. Although it would be a shame to remove the patina, I might polish it and hope the brass polish would dissolve the old.
    From the Brasso website:

Q: How can BRASSO� be removed from crevices?

A: Use a soft toothbrush, brushing gently so as not to scratch the metal surface. Sometimes a cotton swab can be used and will fit nicely into the crevices to remove any dried product. Also, a very mild soapy detergent can be used to soften the residue. Follow by brushing gently with a toothbrush. Wipe dry with a soft clean cloth.

From a bagpipe forum:
    Re: Removing dried Brasso from dirk
    Also, if I may, a tiny bit of Brasso, if you have some, will cut old Brasso and help with it's removal. I can just hear my old Drill Sergant, "YOU GOT DAG GONE BRASSO DRIED IN THERE ?!"

Another site suggested WD40. If you decide you need to try that, I'd do in a tiny inconspicuous spot at first.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?61068-How-to-clean-brasso-off-of-brass

Here is a link that might be useful: getting dried brasso off

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

a drill sergeant who sad "dag gone"?

Amazing!
    ;)

Reminded me of Hoss Cartwright who always used to say "Dad Burn It!"

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Not sure where you found your lamp or what you paid, but thought you might find this interesting. They look identical to me and I found them when trying to see what that goo might be

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple lamps

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. I happen to have a can of barkeeper's friend so I'll get to scrubbing tonight, if that doesn't work then I'll try the Brasso.

I found it on the street. I couldn't believe they just threw it away. I'm sure the person had two but only one was outside.

@Olychick Thanks for the link, I love it even more now.

Thanks again I'll post another pic after it's clean.

This post was edited by Ashley145 on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:19

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think you are going to need something to dissolve it - I believe brasso is a liquid, so you might have better luck with that, but let us know what works.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I would try simply cleaning it without BK or Brasso, unless you want a bright finish. Brush the grooves with a dry toothbrush first; that might take off most if not all the dried polish. If it doesn't do the job completely, dip the toothbrush in water and try again. The patina that has built up is quite attractive. Of course, polished brass would also be nice in the right room.

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Chibimimi Thanks for the tip of dry brushing first, it did the trick.
    After a few strokes of the brush the white stuff began falling off like powder.

The lines are still pretty dusty looking. Can anyone suggest anything to remove the dusty look between the lines? I don't want a shiny finish so I'm afraid to use polish.

Thanks in advance

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Just try wetting a toothbrush or Q-tip with water to get the dust out. It won't affect the patina. I'm SO glad that you didn't use Brasso or another polish to remove that patina! It's a GREAT find! (from a vintage lamp lover).

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

What a great find! I was holding my breath and lurking on this post to see what happened. What a nice surprise to see the value of the lamp, and so glad you didn't have to resort to anything but a dry brush. Sounds like you're getting there.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

found it on the street. I couldn't believe they just threw it away. I'm sure the person had two but only one was outside.

You need to go back and knock on their door and tell them you'll buy the mate for $50 because you really like a symmetrical look and need the 2nd lamp. Then clean up the 2nd one and resell it for more than $50. :-)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd tread carefully so as not to destroy the patinated finish...Barkeeper's Friend is likely to damage it, because it is an acid.

I think gentle and persistent cleaning with a soft toothbrush (I use a baby's toothbrush for cleaning metal crevasses) and a drop or two of mild dish detergent might be all you need to do. Then you can rub it up with a damp microfiber cloth to get the neglect off without hurting the patina.

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@hhireno I actually did that as soon as I saw that one. Lol
    I believe the homeowner had passed away and the family just threw away what they didn't want.
    @bronwynsmom Thanks for the tip. Woohoo I'm so excited to see what the end result looks like. I'm going to top it with a black shade.

BTW, I also got a Thomasville vanity with the bench from that house. I wonder what that's worth? Lol

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is what it looks like after a little dry brushing with a soft toothbrush. I have a long way to go

• Olychick
    11 years ago

That looks so much better. Now you know why the previous owner left the dried cleaning agent in the lines! I'm so glad you didn't have to use a solvent that would remove the patina. I've had to do that before, and while easier than what you're doing, it does change the look. But thank goodness, the patina doesn't take long to return. I am curious about the wd40 that someone online recommended, whether it would remove the patina or just dissolve the gunk. If you get to where nothing will get the last of it, you might want to try a tiny bit on a q-tip and see if it works without removing the patina. Good luck!

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Ashley, that is coming clean beautifully! Good work! The lamp looks so much better now.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Q-tips has a precision tips version that might be worth getting for cleaning those crevices. I don't think I would use WD-40 in there -- the oily residue would make dust settle in there and be even harder to clean out down the road. Id be inclined to stick to a soft brush and damp q-tips.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Ashley, last night I watched Marvin's room. One of the first scenes in it is two boys in their bedroom. They had your lamp in there!

I don't think I've ever seen that lamp till your post, so it cracked me up. Now I'll probably start seeing it everywhere.

• luvdecor1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@lascatx Thanks I grabbed a pack of those today, they're perfect.
    @Cindyloo I'm watching that movie now and I just saw the lamp lol I guess that's how mine would shine if I were to polish it. I'll leave it the way it is for now.

This post was edited by Ashley145 on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 20:40

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

It was the funniest thing Ashley. I backed it up a couple of times because I wanted to see the shade, but the shot of the lamp only showed the base. I think black would look great on that lamp, though I don't see how you get any light from a lamp that has a black shade?

Probably the better way to see shades on it is to keep doing searches for pineapple lamp.

The movie is on Netflix livestream btw.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I've purchased my fair share of silver plate trays as well as brass for my space, and have never used anything other than Bon Ami cleanser or Bartenders. I've never noticed any scratching with either, and that's with my strong readers on. lol

The 'shining up' is the difference between selling something as thrift store junk or a vintage find. ;o)

• Fori
    11 years ago

I like bamboo skewers for that sort of thing--you know, the cheap ones in the grocery store with a slightly bigger diameter than a toothpick. When they get wet and smooshed into a crack they split a little and are good for cracks and detail work.