Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keband3boys_gw

Hiring an independent kitchen designer?

keband3boys
14 years ago

Is there such a person? We are working with a scatterbrained builder who purchases from random sources. He is unable to recommend a KD to me (this seems asinine to me, but whatever). I actually talked with a woman from Sears The Great indoors and she was very helpful. Builder did not encourage another meeting since he does not plan on buying anything from there. Is is possible to hire a KD who would help me plan without pressuring me to buy anything? I am STRUGGLING and NO ONE is helping me. (I'm a BIT frustrated with our builder, can you tell? I apologize for the caps...) I thought this was supposed to be fun and I'm in tears most of the time and don't feel certain about ANYTHING I'm picking out for the kitchen. Please help.

Comments (14)

• gardengirl53
    14 years ago

If it's any consolation I'm feeling the same way. I'm not having any fun either and am feeling like I could have a nervous breakdown! It's ridiculous. Microwave in a drawer or behind a door. How high, how low. Prep sink or no prep sink. How much prep room. I hope that knowing your not alone will help. The only thing that helps me is knowing that these builders don't know what their doing either which is evidenced by when I go into open home kitchens and think "What were they thinking!" I know your builder isn't the only scatterbrained one out there and we can't be any worse than they are.

Here's hugs to you for a little comfort in knowing your not alone.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Do you want to share your questions and hopes with us? Is your plan already worked out? If not, you can post a layout here and you'd likely get lots of help.

If you have questions about appliances, the appliance forum is wonderful.

If you have more decor questions than we have answers, the home decorating forum is a wonderful resource, too.

This isn't answering your question about how to find a designer, but I hate to hear (read) you feeling so discouraged and overwhelmed.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

You could hire an interior designer who is not affiliated with a kitchen cabinet dealer.

Where is your contractor going to purchase the kitchen cabinets? The designer will need to know what is available in the line the contractor uses.

We recently did a project with two kitchens: the owner's unit and an inlaw unit, and the owner's unit got custom cabinets, so measurement increments were down to 1" whereas used the contractor's source for the inlaw/rental unit, and our design--based on stock sizes for that kitchen--had to be modified somewhat, simply because some cabinet sizes were not offered.

You will need to bring some information to an independent designer who is not working with a particular cabinet brand.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Yes, there are people who have this job title as well as KDs and IDs. If you post on GW, we all could give you feedback. if you give us an idea of where you are, someone might be able to actually recommend one of these Designers to you.

Please know that you are experiencing pretty normal response to a complicated, emotionally fraught process! It does end someday tho! :))

• keband3boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. I thought a lot about it last night and basically I am all over the board as far as style goes. I think what I need to do is figure out what I want the "feel" to be of this room. I started out with vanilla glazed cabinets and a hardwood floor, then went completely opposite to dark espresso cabinets and a tile floor. I think I pick out pictures of kitchens I like, but may not necessarily picture myself in - does that make sense? I guess I need to figure out my own style first. I do have a couple of inspiration pieces - my kitchen table, which is wide plank, slightly rustic looking with black chairs, and the only light I've decided on in the whole house - the spoon and fork light from Arhaus - I fell in love with it. I need someone's help to figure this all out - maybe talk me through it. Maybe that's GW!? I've got some more thoughts, but I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks for listening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoon and Fork chandelier

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Oh, I know what you mean! I was totally drawn to the 'feel' of white kitchens, but knew they weren't 'me' and I'd feel like I was in someone else's house. So I looked for the elements that gave them the feel I wanted. It just happened that they were most often in white kitchens...A bit of butcherblock, a natural brightness, and other things that I could implement in mine to get the calm and contented, baker's homey kitchen that I wanted.

A good way to start narrowing down what your vision is, then deciding what will help you create it (and what things to toss out of contention) is the Sweeby Test. It's a series of questions a member here worked up to help people hone in on their desired kitchen personality.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sweeby Test...Hope it helps! :-)

• User
    14 years ago

In addition to the Sweeby test (she should patent that !) it sounds as though you would benefit from an in person design consultation from an interior designer to help you find out what your own style may be. ID's aren't usually great KD's, but they can definately help you to sort through your conflicts about your design style. ANd they can help to do the color/shape/proportion thing for you as well. KD's are more on the function side of the design equation. Not to say that many aren't also great with color and proportion, but that a visit to a KD is a bit premature until you have an idea of who YOU are in the style world.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

I recommend seeing a bunch of kitchen displays. Big box, kitchen designers, cabinet makers, sometimes tile / flooring and appliance stores also have them.

• maks_2000
    14 years ago

I "feel your pain". We re-did our Master Bath last year & did the project design ourselves since we weren't changing the footprint & since DH was between jobs -- if he hadn't started with another company he would have done some of the work himself . . . But now we are using a KD, we are changing the footprint & I am so much happier!!!

My thoughts are this: If you have the time do it yourself -- do it. If you can find someone who is reasonably priced it is well worth the money. Our KD was "vetted" by a neighbor & ultimately comes up with the blueprints (CAD/CAM), as well directs me to resources & passes her trade discounts along (I am in Atlanta). She will do more, but we do like doing a lot of the research, plus she gives design, organization & ID guidance/recommendations. (She's $75/hour & worth every penny!) I'm in Atlanta if you would like her contact information.

Once we had a design what drove me crazy was the "builders" coming in & trying to change my design -- especially after I had spent time (& money) getting to the place I am). My KD also has a custom cabinet maker she deals with, but she is wonderful about letting you bring in your resources, too.

I like your beginning thoughts, good luck!!

• growlery
    14 years ago

There is definitely such a person as an independent kitchen designer.

People's experiences with them have been mixed -- the best ones are great and worth the money. I hired one and the experience was only OK.

I would say (and I work in a creative field) the BEST way to go into a process like this is to do your own research, develop your own tastes, your own opinions and have some kinds of design landmarks for yourself. It's OK to be stuck! It's OK to change your mind, even radically, as a designer presents options you never considered! It's not OK to go in and say "Gee, I don't know, there are so many choices. What do you think we should do?"

The downside is that hiring an independent kitchen designer and going through that process usually takes awhile -- weeks or months and several drafts. And it is expensive, usually thousands of dollars -- but always ASK the designer how they work, how they are paid, how much, at what stage you get buildable plans.

Quick ways to find a good designer in your area (independent or otherwise): Follow the breadcrumbs. You know how much you're spending on your kitchen. Go to the good appliance, cabinet, paint, hardware etc. stores in your budget in your area (you're probably checking them out anyway). Ask for their recommendations. I have found referrals to excellent people this way -- and they're happy to recommend their valued customers in the trade, knowing a good recommendation makes 2 happy customers.

Day to day though, this forum is a great resource! Almost instant feedback, free, taken as a whole, encyclopedic in its knowledge. And nice too.

Good luck!

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

One suggestion is to visit a Home Product show. Now is the time of year when they are being held. I saw an ad in our newspaper recently that showed all of the activities going on at a show. Several KD's were giving seminars on one thing or another (free). Not only might you get some good tips, but it might 1) help you find a KD & 2) let you see their "style" before hiring.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

I am just about finished with my kitchen, and if I had to do it over, I would find one person who has great taste and work with that person.

• logansmum
    14 years ago

Maks 2000,

Would love to get the contact info for your Atlanta designer. if you would rather email it than post here, my address is sspencer(insert at sign)mindspring.com.

THANKS!
    Susan

• keband3boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys rock. Thank you so much for the notes. Growlery, thanks for the advice. I talked with a good friend last night over a bottle of wine (which of course makes EVERYTHING better), and realized exactly what you all are saying. It's okay to change my mind, it's okay to get what I want, not what I think I should get. Still not sure where I'm going to go to get professional advice, but feel better about knowing that I need to figure out MY likes and preferences. Kayl, a home show sounds great - I'm going to see if there's one coming up here in Cincinnati. Thanks again all!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!