Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

slightly OT: how do you store your jewelry?

walkin_yesindeed
16 years ago

I don't have room for a separate jewelry cabinet on the floor of my MBR: I'm looking for ideas about storing jewelry on the top of a bureau, or on a wall hanger. Currently my stuff is puddling out of several small jewelry boxes on top of my dresser. Hard to organize, looks messy, etc etc.

I was thinking of getting something like this, but it's ugly! I'd love to find a prettier version... or maybe I can just hide this in my bathroom, as almost no guests venture there.

Suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: earring/jewelry hanger

Comments (18)

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I found what looks like the same rack here, for a lot less money.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I bought three clear plastic divider cases (the kind fishermen use for lures!) and keep my jewelry in there. I stack them in my bedroom armoire - I can see into them without opening them when I'm trying to decide what to wear, and they stay clean and separated. It's not very glamorous, but it works beautifully!

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I just have a jewelry box on my dresser with all of my stuff in it. It's a medium sized jewelry box. I didn't inherit my Mom's love for jewelry (plus she sells it!) so I don't have a TON. I mostly wear the same old thing day to day, the few items DH purchased for me that mean a lot!

I'm sure you have to have a space where you can tuck away something. Even if you go through and maybe only keep the most worn items on your dresser in a jewelry box and put the special occasion stuff in something else and tuck in a cabinet or closet. That would cut down on your clutter, get everything organized and you would know exactly where to look when you need it...

Good luck!

• les917
    16 years ago

Not a fan of that style - seems like messy gone vertical.

I know some of these are quite a bit more than the one you were looking at, but I am guessing you can find something similar out there for less money. Or, buy the less expensive rack you like and get an inexpensive medicine cabinet or other wall cabinet to mount it inside for the same effect.

wall jewelry cabinet

• tinam61
    16 years ago

In our MBR closet I have a chest on the end wall. Up above that wall we had them continue the upper row of shelving (on the sides there are two rows of shelves, on the end wall just one) to store things not used often, as it's rather high. I hung some type of gizmos, I think they are tie or belt hangers and I hang my necklaces on those. On top of the chest I have a couple of those clear, flat divided plastic cases (my husband has some of the same ones in his tackle box!) for earrings.

I hope you are all talking about storage for costume jewelry and none of your *good* or sentimental items. Many years ago I learned a hard lesson. I had a beautiful wooden jewelry box my husband had given me. I had most of my jewelry in that jewelry box, including some irreplaceable items that had belonged to my great-grandmother. What wasn't in that box was in a drawer in the chest on which the jewelry box sat - of course, in our bedroom. Our house was broken into, the thief took the pillowcases off our bed and took jewlery box and all. Most of their efforts were concentrated in our bedroom. Every drawer was gone through, so of course, the jewelry in the drawer was gone too. I was heartbroken. I now *hide* items, and we also invested in a safe.

Just saying . . .

• imsoconfused
    16 years ago

Karenforroses, I just bought me some of those clear fishing boxes too! I went to a jewlery party and the jewelry lady stored hers in them so I thought that was good enough for me. My only dilemma now is I can't decide how to organize. All necklaces in one? All earrings? Or all silver jewelry? all gold jewelry? Just curious as to how you organized yours!

• amcofar
    16 years ago

I have a wall-mounted jewelry storage cabinet that features a door that opens outward. When closed, it looks like a frame. I have placed a favorite print behind the glass. I have so enjoyed this jewelry cabinet. It has designated storage for necklaces, earrings, rings and bracelets. My necklaces never tangle and everything's visible when the door is opened, but also protected from dust when the doorÂs closed.

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

Just yesterday, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought three Neatnix organizers. I have found that I don't wear my jewelry because it is tucked away in little boxes and such. I have a few of the clear plastics as well.
    I bought one of the larger ones and two of the small. They stack on top of each other, so I can open a drawer, pull the top two off and see right away what I have.
    They are much more expensive than plastic containers, but I thought I would give these a try. BB&B had several different brands of these organizers.
    I know you said you wanted something for on top of your dresser, but you might want to look at these.

Here is a link that might be useful: neatnix organizers

• yiannab
    16 years ago

Here is how I do mine. For necklaces, I bought a small corkboard and had it painted the same color as my wall. Then I take clear push pins and attach my necklaces on it. The whole thing is hanging behind my bedroom entry door, but even when we are in the room and the door is closed, it doesn't look bad:

As for the rest of it, I have jewelry holder on my dresser that holds earings, rings, etc. I also use a little box that I bought from Egypt to store some in:

• sue36
    16 years ago

I would not store valuable jewelry where it can be easily found. My previous place was robbed and they found all the jewelry boxes. The only thing they didn't find was the diamond ring in the toe of an old sneaker. Engagement ring, diamonf tennis bracelet, 30+ pairs of gold earrings, class rings, pearls, diamond and sapphire ring, etc., all gone.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

If it's valuable a safe (in an easily accessed but hidden space) is your best option. For the reasons clearly posted above.

If it's costume, I have some antique silver ware boxes that I picked up for a song here and there. They make a lovely collection (they're all gorgeous woods) and hold a myrad of jewelry easily on velvet (they're all lined). The knife holder areas make it easy to lay out necklaces and the drawers are great for rings and pins. The velvet makes it easy to keep the pins from straying.

• midwestmom
    16 years ago

I took a small piece of wood and used a router on the edges, painted it with leftover trim paint and hung it on the wall inside my walk-in closet. Then I put a bunch of screw hooks in the wood and hung my necklaces and bracelets.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

My first house was broke into 16 years ago and they walked off with the whole jewelery box. Thank god my engagement ring and a few other things were stored elsewhere. SO - I keep all the quality jewelery that I don't wear regularly in a safe. The stuff I do wear I keep in a small box which is inside another compartment attached to my dresser. I also have put the jewelery that I want to go to individual kids in boxes marked with their names inside the safe, and I have listed in my will exactly who gets what.

Sorry, way more information than you asked for!

• walkin_yesindeed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone, thanks for these useful ideas and insights. You guys are really creative. Pretty much every bit of my jewelry is costume; I only have one nice ring and it's already in the safety deposit box across town. So no theft worries. I'd be sad to lose my costume stuff, but none of it is irreplaceable.

Les, your suggestions are just so spot-on re my style: would you please come out to visit and just redo my entire house while you're here? (Bring me some Frango Mints, too?) I hadn't even known those plain, mirrored jewelry cabinets existed. What a great idea. Anyone seen one with Art Nouveau or Lloyd Wright -style detailing? (: (well, a girl can dream...)

Igloo, if I see any antique silverware boxes out here in the sticks, I'll emulate you. Love that idea too.

You guys are great!

• les917
    16 years ago

Walkin, thanks for the lovely compliment - I'd be glad to come (and bring Frangos, too!)

You know, the second one on the link I gave is a plain oak - you could probably get some oak moulding strips and add some FLW detailing, perhaps similar to the inside of this mirror from the FLW preservation trust:

FLW mirror

You could also buy an oval one, and get some etched-look decals to use on the glass to create the Art Nouveau look.

• lionstail
    16 years ago

Heres another possibility

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelry

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

My lingerie chest has a built-in small drawer for jewelry, so I keep mine there. Nothing really valuable.

• boops2012
    7 years ago

I plan to take a wall mounted jewelry cabinet and place it in the wall .this way it looks like a wall mirror . And it's behind the door so kinda hidden from burglars.