Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Removing plastic from fridge

bbstx
10 years ago

(Previously posted in kitchens - no answers there) The installers did not do a very good job of removing the protective plastic from the refrigerator doors during installation. Any tips for easy removal? Just pulling isn't working. It tears off a giblet leaving a now-smaller piece behind to try to get to get a hold of.

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

can you post a pic of the full fridge? Might help.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is. As you can see, we are deep in the throes of moving in. Movers left about 8 pm Friday.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'm not getting this. The floor is different in each pic; I don't see the stainless at the bottom in the second pic that I see in the first pic.

I'm confused!

I'm trying to get a long view of where the plastic is stuck.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I think I get it now. The first pic is a sideways pic and the plastic is stuck along the side of the fridge.

You can get a cheap plastic retractable knife at the hardware store. They are narrow and long, so it might work.

If you can get your hands on a scalpel, or something like it, you can cut a clean slices down the edge and pull it out. You can also try a dental tool,

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, T. The pix are both oriented correctly on my iPad, but the first pic was taken with my phone and the second with the iPad. For some reason, pix taken with my phone frequently aren't properly oriented.

I think I can buy a metal dental pick at the drugstore. Need it anyway. Tilers got grout in a few places it was not intended to be and I want to pick out.

• User
    10 years ago

X-acto knife to score (gently) and tweezers to remove

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Ye! X-acto knife is what I was trying to think of but couldn't remember the name!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I'd be nervous with an exacto so close to the seal...I'd probably try a hairdryer to soften it a bit and see if it would pull out with tweezers.

• suero
    10 years ago

I'd call the installers. You did pay for installation, didn't you?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a new house. I would have to put it on the punch list. I'm not shy about putting stuff on the punch list, but somethings I just want to be done with and move on. I would rather fix this myself than wait around for someone to show up to do it.