Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caramia_gw

Please help me find the right color!

caramia
15 years ago

My LR is being painted tomorrow and I can't find the right color!

I really like this look:

This is my rug:

This is my sofa ( I know it's a totally different style than the one at Calico Corners but it was free!)

I'd love to use the Bosporus Flax fabrics for some beautiful panels.

Here are three colors that I tried on the wall. Left is Davenport Tan, the middle is a white i tried to match in the CC picture, and the right is BM Beach Glass.

Any suggestions on a better white and any opinions on th other colors will be great! Today is the day I have to decide! I'm terrible at this!

Comments (22)

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Caramia, we just painted our living room and I think the color would work well for you. It was SW Meadowlark and I had it mixed at 75 per cent. If you want to go lighter, look at the lightest on the strip which is Dhurrie Beige

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

If you told me you have a lot of art for your walls, I would pick the white,
    I'm a white wall kind of person, used to be a very colorful walls person so
    I swing both ways. The more I see Beach Glass, the more I love it so my pick for you would be that. It seems to embrace blue , green and gray together.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

If you want the look in the photo, forget the tan and the blue.
    With your rug, and the creamy sofa, I would recommend an off-white that is deeper by a shade than your sofa fabric, but in the same color family as the creamy color and the tan of your rug. Using a wall color that's a little bit different from what is in your sofa can add much more life to the look.
    Then pick up the blue with drapery, just like in the photo (which is really lovely!).
    It's pretty much impossible to recommend a specific color, because your room and your light and the actual shades of your things will determine how any color looks.
    But take a look at BMoore's "Elmira white," HC-84, which is a fairly sophisticated tan-toned beige, which looks to be just a little grayer than your tan color.
    Also look at "Tapestry white," OC-32, and the other colors on the same chip. They are a little paler, and a little grayer, but might work for you. And look at them up on the wall, not down on the rug or on the sofa...look at paint colors in the same plane as their final resting place!

Getting the right cream color is a bit hard to do, but if it's what you want, it's what you should have. Once the walls are done, the prep work is done, and if you don't love the shade, repainting a clean, fresh wall is not so such a much that you have to live with it.

Be brave!!
    And good luck.

• caramia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pattie, is meadowlark in one of the pictures you already posted? I'll go take another look!
    How would it look with this Bosporus Toile?

Mitchdesj, I don't have a lot of artwork but am planning on finding some. I've never had white walls but loved this look! Maybe it's years of red,gold or green walls that makes me pine for something warm and creamy!

• caramia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bronwynsmom, Thanks so much for your insight. Yes, I like the picture but am not 100% sold on it. I read what you said in another post about light colors in small rooms with little light. My LR only gets afternoon son. I would be open to go with something warm and sophisticated if I could decide on one. Any suggestions.

I went to college with a girl named Bronwyn. Very pretty name!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Caramia, did you try BM Delaware Putty? It is what I am putting with the bosporus flax. Another creamy color would be BM Berber White 995 or lighter is BM Vapor AF-35. The last two you can see on the PB website or in thier latest catalog. I think the creamy walls with the white sofa and the bosporus flax will be stunning! Good luck!

• caramia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried the delaware putty. Looked awful. Very flesh colored in my LR. I'm going broke trying samples!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Oh! Sorry you are having trouble finding the right paint! Good luck!

• jlc712
    15 years ago

If you decide to go with a white--BM has a sample book called Shades of White or something like that- I found it very helpful to distinguish all the whites from each other.
    My vote would be for a lighter taupe color- the Davenport Tan is a good color, but too dark in my opinion.
    Your room is going to be gorgeous. Love your rug, and the Bosporus flax will make it even better.
    BTW, I am painting my bathroom Beach Glass this weekend! :)
    I would love to see pics when you are done.
    Jen

• caramia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kmcg, every thing looks peachy on my wall. I've bought several samples and most all looks flesh colored or peachy. Even the Delaware Putty. I'm ready to be done. I had to delay this project due to my father's death. Now I'm ready to tackle it!

• User
    15 years ago

I know everyone else seems to be going in a different direction, but I love the blue, especially with a white sofa and curtains. If you can't decide between the two, why don't you put up a chair rail and do the bottom the blue and the upper the white?

• enailes
    15 years ago

I love the Beach Glass too, the sofa needs a contrast in color.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

You're welcome! (As you probably know, Bronwyn is a Welsh name, and not seen as often as Gwyneth, but same root. The Welsh language, which I don't speak, is very fluid and musical, like the nature of the people...and impossible to spell and pronounce!)

So - back to paint. If everything is turning fleshy-peachy, then you have a lot of golden pink in your natural light. So perhaps you should think about a pale blue-gray-green tone. The light in Paris is very pink, and the French blues and grays look beautiful there. Green turns muddy in pink light, and taupe turns purple, but creamy tones with a little yellow in them look warm and pretty. I know this is a lot to think about, but try taping up a lot of chips first, gazing at the colors, and then imagining them flowing off the chip and around the walls. You'll get the hang of this, and it may help you eliminate more colors before you buy more samples.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Look at this thread, scroll down through the photos, and look at BMoore's "Mount St. Anne" and Valspar's "Crystal Aqua," and see what you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Choices

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

caramia, sorry for your loss.

I love the sophisticated tone on tone look that you originally wanted. Think about what tones make you happy. For example, I don't prefer whites with blue, green or grey undertones as they seem depressing to me, but feel great in rooms with warm undertones. If that's true for you as well, try BM Bone White which will work well with the rug and the bosporus which call for a white with some depth. Depending on your light, Linen White (which has slightly yellow undertones vs the very pale tan tones in Bone White) may also been nice.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Caramia,
    I am thinking about a paint color that resembles the color of the chair in your inspiration pic....lighter than the Davenport Tan you have sampled. That way it seems like your spreading the colors around....blue on the rug & drapes with the cream on the larger piece of furniture.
    Based on your inspiration pic, I thought of this one from RMS...

It says she used BM Woodstock Tan.
    I love your choices so far & look forward to seeing your room come together.

Smiles:)

• andrea5150
    15 years ago

What did you decide on? I'm late here but I like the beach glass with the other things you have in the room.

• caramia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scoobyruby, I LOVE that room! So warm and inviting! Not crazy about the rug but it works in that room! What is RMS?

Bronwynsmom, Thanks for the color lesson! I learned so much! What causes golden pink natural light?
    I decided on a SW color called Natural Choice. It's going on exactly the color I orignally had wanted. My foyer is a warm goldish color sort of like Tobacco Road/Blonde. I decided against a brown/tan because of the way they looked together. The Natural choice looks really nice with it and when I do my DR I'll do some color. Maybe a beautiful green/blue or ???
    Now I need some artwork!
    Back to painting!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

The cause of golden pink light? I have no idea! I know something about how light differs from place to place, but not much about why.
    So I'm posting something about color in a separate thread, so we can start a conversation with people who know more than I do!

• Joe V
    7 years ago

Where did you get that rug and what is it called? I need just that type and color for my living room.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pottery Barn Malika http://www.potterybarn.com/products/malika-rug/

Very similar rugs are at usarugs.com, overstock.com, esalerugs.com for less

• Joe V
    7 years ago

Actually, I had seen the Pottery Barn rug "in person" and the colors are so much more drab than the online shots of it, I didn't recognize it here. But thanks, NSM, I will check out the similars on those other sites. But buyers beware – online colors and retail photographers may be very misleading.