Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekn2108

PANIC! Granite too wide, suggestions how to fix?

ekn2108
15 years ago

Hello GW,

We are in month 9 of our kitchen reno, and after going through so much, and spending so much, we really want everything to be perfect.

The granite countertop we ordered was supposed to be flush with the cabinets. However, from the pic you can see that it sticks out about 3 milimeters from the cabinet.

That might not seem like much, but its not flush, and we really really wanted flush.

The countertop was siliconed down onto the top of the cabinets, and the cooktop has already been installed as well. The countertop people said they cant remove the countertop without risk of breaking it.

What should we do?

Is it possible for the company to bring in some sort of machine that will file down the edge 3mm?

Should we force them to replace it?

Thank you for your suggestions!!!!!!

Comments (25)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I can't see the picture.

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whoops, didnt attach it.

Here we go

Here is a link that might be useful: link to countertop pic

• kompy
    15 years ago

3mm is less than 1/8". I'm would think that stone fabricators have a +/- tolerance, just like cabinet companies do. So, I don't think you can ask them to replace it. Any fabricators out there to elaborate on this?

Also, I don't think you want them to do any kind of on-site work....TONS of dust and water EVERYWHERE. Plus there's a chance of damage to the cabinets.

Maybe tomorrow it will look better to you. Post pics when you can. I'm sure it's beautiful!!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Why is that a problem? I don't think I've ever seen a countertop that didn't have a lip edge over the cabinets. You really wouldn't want to have the countertop flush with the cabinets, as you couldn't put your hand under the ledge when you wipe off crumbs etc.

-Babka

• kompy
    15 years ago

babka, Often, very modern, sleek kitchens will have flush countertops.

ekn, do you have other pictures take further back? That picture is difficult to comprehend what's going on. Is that a tall cabinet to the right? Are the doors and drawers unattached?

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi Kompy,
    Yes we are going for that modern look.

The cabinets are only halfway intalled, so a pic of what is in now doesn't make much sense.

Here is a pic of the mock up. The way the cabinets are installed the lower cabinets are completely flush with the pantry and integrated refridgerator on the right. The granite was supposed to be flush as well, but now it sticks out 3mm like in the pic I attached above.

:o(

Here is a link that might be useful: link to kitchen mock up

• jdayo
    15 years ago

Can your tall cabinets be moved forward and even with the granite counter? My cabinets were separate from the base and were screwed into the base. If yours are done the same way, they could be unscrewed from the base, brought forward and flush with the granite counter. A filler would have to be placed at the wall. Anyway, that's my suggestion. Good luck!

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jdayo: we could move the tall cabinets forward, but then they would only be flush with the granite, and no longer flush with the lower cabinets. :o(

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I would think to grind that down in place would take a very long time, and they could never get it flush with your cabs without great risk of damage. If it was flush and one area was the slightest to short it would have looked terrible. One fix would be to angle the corner to the wood cab.
    If that is a drawer front I would remove it. Also when the grinding takes place hold the hose of an industrial vac to collect most of the dust.

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

I'm interested to see if any granite guys comment on this. If it were me, I would ask them to re-do it... but only IF I had been EXCEPTIONALLY clear that I wanted it flush.

In my experience, most granite installs have a bit of an overhang, so most would assume that. (Also, the granite folks I have talked to specifically asked me how much overhang I wanted past the finished cabinet doors...) When the guys came to measure, were the cabinets installed, and did you specifically tell them you were doing this "different" thing of having it flush with the doors? If so, I personally would ask for it to be redone.

But I'm interested to hear what any pros have to say....

Sorry about that and I hope it gets resolved...

Stacey

• kompy
    15 years ago

Kompy here again: If your piece is that small, ask them to take it out and rework it in their shop! Is there a larger piece on the other side?

Kompy

• gail0202
    15 years ago

It is possible to grind down onsite but the mess would be unbelievable and it wouldn't be as good as a factory finish. You'd also risk damage to the cabinets etc, especially if they are going to be flush (not sure how they'd do it actually).

You have 2 options in my mind.

1. Have them replace the counter (also risking further damage, I always find that rework ends up damaging something or making a mess of something that was smooth and pretty before) and with no real guarantee that the next counter will be perfect either.

2. Learn to live with the overhang. I also have an ultra modern kitchen and went over and above to make sure everything was flush. I used Ikea cabinetry but customized a lot in order to ensure the edge panels were a consistent width and ended flush with the cabinets (regular edge panels are thinner and also stick out a little). After reading your post I took a look at my counters and realized that they protrude about 5/8ths. I really don't notice it and it doesn't detract from the overall modern look and feel of the kitchen. Without seeing your kitchen in full I can't comment on how yours will look but perhaps take a day or so to mull it over. I can almost guarantee you won't notice it down the line.

Good luck!

• kompy
    15 years ago

I googled images of modern kitchens and all of them seemed to have a 'slight' overhang. I didn't see any that LOOKED completely flush. If that makes you feel better :-)

• Fori
    15 years ago

If that's what you asked for and what you really want, you should of course talk to the fabricators and see if they can fix it.

Will you have hardware or will your oven have any knobs or handles that stick out? They might make it look less unflush...

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I have a probably silly question, but if you have flush countertops and water or something else runs off the counter, doesn't it run straight down the cabinet? With a slight overhang most will drop to the floor. Yes, some will still make it onto the cabinets & doors/drawers, but a lot less than when flush. I'd be afraid of a damaged cabinet over time. Am I missing something?

Also, as someone mentioned above, if there's even a slight difference in cabinet depth/alignment (say, b/c of uneven walls or even slight differences in the cabinets themselves), it will be very obvious with a flush counter. A slight overhang can hide a multitude of sins!

That may be why they put in an ever so small overhang. Most overhangs are an inch to an inch and a half.

But, if you really want the flush look and you're certain you specified very clearly that you wanted absolutely no overhang (preferably in writing for proof), then I would fight for it...

Where is the rest of the kitchen...sink, DW, etc.? Do the counters there also have a flush overhang (assuming you have counters around/above your sink & DW)? If they do and the fabricators/installers made that counter absolutely flush, then you'll have more ammunition!

BTW...even a pic of an uncompleted install is helpful.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    15 years ago

This is a whole new concept to me, so is interesting.

Have you seen examples of absolutely not a single mm of overhang, and no uncovered cabinet edges, along a whole length of counter? I also would assume that, perhaps, 3 mm is an allowance to be sure that the granite actually comes out to the edge completely; it were 2 or 3 mm shallower, would there not be some places where your cabinet front migh stick out? Or there is wood shrinkage or expansion. Or as noted above, perhaps that is an on-site installation adjustment in which at the time of counter installation, one has to choose between moving the cabinets forward 2 mm and caulking, or letting the granite hang over.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Another option for fixing this would be to detach the counter, notch the drywall the 3mm needed, slide the counter into the notch and reinstall.

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok... so I have had a day to relax, and I think I could possibly live with the slight overhang. I am concerned that trying to fix it might cause more problems than it will solve.

But now I have a new much more serious problem!!!!!!!! The granite is totally discoloured in one section!!!!!!! Here is a link to the pic of the discoloration. Our granite is supposed to be honed, and it looks like they forgot to hone a large portion of it!!!!

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/discoloured_countertop.html

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the main view of our kitchen, please remember we are nowhere near done yet. The panels for the pantry and fridge are not in yet, and the fillers are missing, and nothing is level, etc.... So it is hard to get a good feel for what effect the slight overhang will have.

I have a feeling it wont look too bad... But now I am more concerned about the discoloration!

And yes, we definitely stated we wanted flush. I attached a picture below of the other piece of granite that was installed correctly as flush. So it is possible.

Also, I attached a pic of the kitchen that was our insipiration. We saw the showroom for this kitchen and loved it and decided to copy it. That kitchen had flush countertops AND we actually hired the exact same company who did the countertop for that showroom!!!! We hired them because we thought they would know what they are doing and be perfect for the job. I guess we were not lucky.

Hmmmmm, what should I do? I wonder what that discoloration is? They installed the counters on Wednesday, so I cant imagine the discoloration is from dampness. I supposed if we have to redo the counters due to the discoloration, then that would solve the overhang issue.

Main Kitchen Pic: http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/main_kitchen_pic.html

Cabinet Closeup Pic:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/cabinets_2.html

Not Flush Countertop Pic:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/countertop_too_wide.html

Flush Countertop Pic:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/flush_countertop.html

Pic of Kitchen we are Copying.
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/kitchen_we_are_copying.html

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

your picture that says "flush countertop" shows a bit of a recess on one side and a bit of protrusion on the other.

the discoloration: did you question them when they installed it ? it does seem like an unhoned spot so that should be easy to fix.

I think you need to address those issues with the fabricators, are they the same people who installed it ?

• janicejan
    15 years ago

I guess the company will offer free service for this one, its their fault anyways, they haven't measured it well, so I highly recommend you turn this back to the company you dealt with.

Here is a link that might be useful: utah herman miller

• davidro1
    15 years ago

I'd minimize working on granite on site. If working with the granite installed, I'd have that little stickout corner cut down on a ten degree angle about 1.5mm long, just to soften the corner. Then sand it and call it good. Someone has to hold a vacuum next to the cutting blade the whole time. Cut less than you think is the right amount ; don't try to go to the furniture; let the sanding take care of removing a bit more volume.

Anything can be gotten used to visually. I doesn't impede anything mechanical like door openings so it's not a physical obstacle.

HTH
    -david

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

My best opinion based on experience:
    Leave it alone!

Granite "could" crack: when pulled after being glued
    **my suggestion**
    Put some "sealer color enhancer" on that end piece that is not polished. (or lemon oil) to darken the little area:

25 1/2 is standard front to back with exceptions. should have 1/2" over hang: Usually;

(had one customer 2 years ago want granite flush with cabinets: now wish they wouldn't have made us do that: plus after install: next day: granite sat straight, although cabinets weren't straight: so: looked funny! Uneven overhang my guys pulled the granite hard! and made the granite not straight to match the "not straight" cabinets: Gap was left in the back splash area: that durrock covered up)

Best luck: I would live with it after the fact.

• ekn2108
    Original Author
    15 years ago

petra granite: The problem with the discoloration is that all of the countertops are supposed to be the lighter color, not the darker color. So a color enhacer would not work.

The company who fabricated the countertop, are the same as the countertop installers, so I am going to call them on Monday about the discoloration. I am surprised they didn't catch that before they installed. They are a very reputable company. They do all the boutique luxury homes, and only the highest end apartment buildings (like the Ritz Carlton).

I feel like a lot of the people we hire don't want to work with us because we have a "small" kitchen, in a small apartment. Whenever we book tradespeople, as soon as we give them the apartment number as part of the address, you can hear their tone change. Since they look at us a not desirable work, or not "prestigious" work, I feel they dont give us the same care and attention they might to a large home in an expensive suburb.

It is very frustrating, because most of the cost to do a small kitchen is the same as a larger kitchen.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the company we hired to do our countertop would not have made the same mistake with the overhang and discoloration when they did the installation at the Ritz!

And the guy who did the measurement also did the installation, it was not a subcontractor or anything like that. It is a small company, and there are only two people who do the measurements and installation (the owner, and the guy who helped us).

Sorry, this is turning into a rant. I'm going to talk to the company on Monday and see what my options are.

thanks for your posts!!!!!!

• luvmyguys
    15 years ago

So...what happened? I came across this thread because I was doing a search about my own granite problem - which is that one of the overhangs is too small!!! LOL I had to smile when I typed that. But seriously, I know exactly how you felt when you saw your granite install. I had a sick panicky feeling myself when it was not what I expected (still need to take pics and post). Hope your problem got resolved satisfactorily.