Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyaram

help with new family room sofa

vidyaram
13 years ago

Hi all

I bought 2 things for the new house after so much thinking and both of them have problems. I have posted about the office desk in the other post. I bought this leather sectional and it looked great in the store. I like it even in my home from the front side. I don't like it from the back and that part was hidden in front of a screen divider in the store. I really didn't think much about it and this sofa will look great against a wall even now. Our family room layout is such that, I can't put it in a corner against a wall. We tried to build mostly with craftsman details and I don't like the curving of the sofa in the corner. If it was the back, I would do a sofa table and hide it. Please give me some suggestions. DH says that I can put a throw or something and that it will look different if we put end tables and put a book case near the far end of the tv. We also have to buy accent chairs and maybe the eye will not focus on this. I will post pics taken from my bad cell phone camera for now and will post better pics tomorrow. Please excuse the toys and the mess in our family room.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/myfirstone7/Family%20room%20sofa/?action=view&current=IMAG0084.jpg

This is the back of the sofa

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/myfirstone7/Family%20room%20sofa/?action=view&current=IMAG0081.jpg

Please help me!

Could you please let me know how to post pics too? In photobucket, there are only two boxes with tags. One is Email and IM and the other one is img code. If I copy the img code, I don't see anything in my preview message.

Comments (23)

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

If you click on "share" in PB, you'll see a box that says something like "having trouble?" with a line of code below it. Copy that code into your post and it should show the picture. If you can see the picture in preview, it will post correctly.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

You need to place the image code in between image tags. Mouse over your image in your album and copy one of the boxes I've highlighted in red:

Then in your message text, type in image tags and paste what you copied between them. What you need to type will end up looking like this, minus the asterisk:

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/Avesmor/PostingPics.jpg">;

What I copied from photobucket is italicized. What I added is underlined.

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let me try onemore time
    {{!gwi}}
    The back of the sofa
    {{!gwi}}

One more front view looking into the kitchen. Please excuse my messy DD
    {{!gwi}}

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions

• User
    13 years ago

I can certainly understand after spending so much $$ that it can be disappointing to not have it look exactly like you pictured it in your head. But, I think it looks totally fine. More than fine. It is a beautiful sectional. Your room and your kitchen are beautiful (as is your DD!). Really, once you have more furniture in the room, nobody is going to notice. I suspect you won't notice either after you fill things out a little more. And, if you hadn't pointed it out, I would never even have thought twice about it. In fact, I had to scroll back up and read what you didn't like again after seeing the picture because it looked very nice to me. Relax :-)

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! It makes me feel better. You know this buyer's remorse and girls never get together:)

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

It really is a lovely sectional, and the rolled arms look just right with the curved back. However, since you know you don't like the curved back, that will be useful information when you think about where to place other items in your family room. For example, you may want to put art on the TV wall that corresponds to a piece on the hallway, so they eye is drawn up, and makes a horizontal line from one surface to the other, well above the back face of the sofa.

It looks wrong to you because you don't have the full composition in place yet. But you will! Also, notice how nice the curved sofa lines look with the curves on your kitchen chairs. You are doing much better than you think!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

That's really pretty leather. I don't think the back is horrible. I would probably add a sofa table on the stretch that divides from the kitchen, just because I think they really help soften the back of sofas. If the curve really bothers you, you could place a potted plant or floor lamp on the left side of the table and "cover up" the corner. But really, one expects to see a corner of some kind on a sectional, so it doesn't look out of place.

I'm not liking this very much, but just to give you a quick idea of what it would look like a bit covered:

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you still_lynnski. When you say art on the hallway, which hallway did you mean. I am trying to make notesn now:)
    I saw the curved lines on the kitchen chairs too. It matches that. But I got the table almost 10 years ago and my taste has changed(IYKWIM) and I am trying to move away from the curves. But I won't be able to throw away a nice piece of furniture like that. I hope I can pull everything together like how you said.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Wow, I think your sofa is beautiful and just right for your room.

Your room has a lot of rectangular corners, and the sofa's curve softens them. In addition, if you have small kids, that curve will be better for them when they are doing their inevitable running around.

What you don't like, you don't like. Taste is individual. But if you are just on the fence and not really sure, I would give myself some time to adjust. I think that is a very handsome sofa and the curve gives it a high end look.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I've scrolled back several times to try to see what it is you don't like about that sofa and still not quite sure what it is you do not like about it. It's a lovely sofa and agree with poster above it gives it a high end look. That curve in the corner while on backside may not be so attractive on the front allows for more comfortable seating in the corner of the sectional, which to me would take precedence and gives that designer look. You are off to a great start and have made some lovely choices so far. If you add some more mission style pieces to your room with the accent tables, I don't think you will barely even notice it anymore. You didn't ask about this, but I do think you are going to need a much larger rug, though. That is the only thing that jumped out at me as something to fix.

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Avesmor,
    You and I have posted at the same time. So, I didn't see that beautiful mockup you have created. OMG, I love what you have done to that room. It helps me visualize so much better. You guys are so talented. What program did you use to do that?
    Barb5,
    Thanks for the compliments and the reminder about soft corner and kids. My kids are always running around the room. So, taht is a good thing and that is why I am planning to buy a leather/fabric ottoman for this room.
    valinsv
    I like that suggestion of adding more mission style pieces with the accent tables. I could do that with the light and tables. Do you have any suggestion for good mission/modern style end tables? I will post another picture from the top which shows the fireplace and everything in the room. I had purchased a big blue rug from Marshalls even before we moved to the new construction. But it was too big without the other furniture and making the sofa offcenter and driving me crazy. So, that is why we moved that rug to a different room even though it is too big there. I will post some pics tomorrow with that rug and the whole room.

DH asked the electician to center the tv to the opening from the kitchen and not to the wall where the tv is. So, we have pushed the sofa a little away from the fireplace so that we can wtch tv comfortably. The TV is way too small for that wall. We are planning to change it to a bigger size. Right now it is 40", We will change it to 55". But I am unable to bring the fireplace and tv together. I am planning to get some big accent chairs by the fireplace. If you all have any suggestions for modern/mission style mid price chairs, it will be great. I am scouring Marshalls/Home Goods just for this now.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Love your sofa! The back looks fine to me. It's the only piece of furniture in the room right now. Once you furnish and decorate the room, your eyes are not going to zoom in and focus on the sofa.

• credomk
    13 years ago

I love your new sectional! It is really beautiful. There aren't many leather ones I see that appeal to me, but yours does. May I ask where it is from/what furniture maker it is? Thanks!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I use either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, depending on where I am. One is on my PC, the other is on my laptop.

I'm still in awe over your couch, it's so gorgeous. We bought leather furniture a few years ago, but it's nowhere near that attractive, and I ended up being allergic to it! :(

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

credomk,
    Thanks.I got it in a local furniture store and it is made by Bernhardt. I am pretty sure it is Bernhardt Bradley leather sectional. I will confirm it for you after seeing the resipt in the evening.
    avesmor,
    Thank you! Yo u did a great job! I used to not like leather too and then I had my kids who drowned my earlier fabric couch with mile and markers and then I changed my mind:)

• busybee3
    13 years ago

we have a nice leather sectional too and i remember when it arrived thinking that there was A LOT of blank flat leather to look at!! i added a sofa table behind one end and a couple of throws(which we use all the time!!) thrown over the back-broke it up!
    but, that was ~ 8 years ago and i am so used to it now that i had forgotten even feeling like that until i read this post!!
    it looks very nice! you will get used to it!

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

Love the couch and it will soften the corners like others have said. Myself, I'm impressed with what a beautiful daughter you have. :)

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Busybee,
    I am imagining myself doing that and looking at this post and thinking years/months later:)
    Mammie,
    Thank you for the kind words!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

jumping in to help get rid of buyers remorse. It is a beautiful sofa, and I actually like the back. I agree with the others- more furniture and accessories will help YOU not notice it.
    Not one of your guests would notice anything unless you pointed it out( and even then its doubtful)
    relax and enjoy.

• sewmuch2
    12 years ago

Hi vidyaram, bumping this up because I just put down a deposit on this very same sectional and I'm wondering how your room turned out.

Any updates on your room - and do you like the sectional now that you've lived with it for a while?

Thanks in advance!

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sewmuch2
    I am glad I saw this thread. I don't subscribe to emails and was asually looking at the threads and dfon't go to page 3 usually:) I am loving the sectional now and don't even see the angles anymore:) I still have to complete the decoration of the room because I got sidetracked with landscape. I got a couple of blue pillows from Target and they look great on the sofa. It adds a lot of substance to the huge room. I am happy with the purchase. Please let me know if you want any pictures.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to decorate the tv wall. We out all the equipment for the tv in the wall behind so that we won't see the wire clutter but now the floating tv bothers me. We will change the size if the tv to a bigger one later on. The Tv is off the center of the wall because we centered it to the opening form the kitchen. I am thinking about putting a ladder like shelf to the side and a bog console table or ikea expedite under the tv. Any suggestions, please?

• loribee
    12 years ago

"Wow, I think your sofa is beautiful and just right for your room..."
    DITTO! Glad you are happier now!

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Loribee! I have loved your family room always.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida