Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironcook

How Do I Decorate a Kitchen with Cherry Countertops?

ironcook
13 years ago

hello...

today it finally occurred to me that switching to cherry countertops would limit the color scheme i could use in my new kitchen... or would it?

my original choice was a light gray quartz. but i was having a hard time choosing between a red or blue color scheme. read posts by florantha, i want red. read posts by lavender_lass, i want blue. :)

my house is currently in neutral tones, but with LOTS of red accents. but the master bedroom is blue. no, it doesn't match!

my cabinets will be off-white, but actually read ivory in my house, sometimes almost pale, pale yellow.

so contrast these two kitchens, and please tell me your thoughts. i know some people love/hate certain colors, but i would still appreciate some direction choosing. oh, and i really don't want a country kitchen, but these pics are what i found! thanks. :)

from douglas gibson interior renovations:

from country living:

Comments (9)

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

As you can see, both red and blue go with cherry wood. We have cherry, mahagony and rosewood furniture. We favor decorating with lots of colors...blue, red, orange, green. Think French country fabric colors...it all goes with it. And pale green painted walls look lovely with cherry since it's a complimentary color. I don't think a cherry countertop will limit your decorating choices especially since you are doing ivory cabinets.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I don't think Cherry counters will limit your decor ideas.
    Cherry wood goes with so many different colors.
    What do you like? If you love Red go for it.
    I have a few images of wood tops counters so you can
    see the possibilities.
    ~boxer

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you so much itsallaboutthefood and boxerpups!

i feel much more reassured, now.

i saw the picture you posted of your yellow kitchen with your red living room in the background. i love that! those colors make me happy. :) (hope you get it all sorted out, because i think it's a cool backsplash!)

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Bias, perhaps, but I think yellow and red look really smashing with cherry:

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Cherry cabs? Decorate joyfully. Everything goes well. Just keep it from being too dark after combining elements.

• ellaf
    13 years ago

What do I think? All of them! Fiestaware in different colors, I think aqua would be a terrific accent, blue and red would be great. I don't think the cherry limits you at all.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

O.T.
    Look at the Country Living photo at top. What an object lesson!

What makes this room distinctive? It's the blue and white dishes, right? And the yaller flawers. Imagine the room without them. It's a blank canvas and the wood countertops will be the making of whatever alternate decor items are brought in. The sky's the limit in that kitchen. As for me and my house, we'd put in shiny metal. Lots and lots of old silvery metal.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Florantha totally made my point. I'd keep the main elements neutral and enjoy playing with accessories for your color.
    Our kitchen is white, gray, black and chrome and our color with it is lavender. I could paint my wall and change my relatively small bs at any time (or pull a color from the bs) and add a completely new feel to it.

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, everyone.

really good point about keeping the main elements neutral and playing with color elsewhere.

btw, the cabinets are ivory... it's cherry countertops i'm considering.

*** does anyone think i can paint a red accent wall if it is up against the cherry countertop? in that top picture, the rusty-orange wall doesn't touch the countertop. ***

circuspeanut... i swear i fall more in love with your kitchen every time i see it. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022