Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Buffalo check curtains with this wallpaper?

Oakley
11 years ago

There's a double window perpendicular to the DR wall which isn't in the picture. The window goes halfway down. Right now I have a swag with small checks (gold and rust) on the window which I like, and it also goes with the wallpaper but I want something bolder.

I'm leaning towards black and white buffalo check. I would either do another swag or hang two panels.

I love mixing patterns in a room. Do you think I could get away with putting black and white buffalo check on the window?

Comments (17)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Yes if the checks aren't too small or too large. They would look terrific in my opinion.

• madtown_2006_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, I think it would look great! I posted recently about some BC curtains in my sons room and geokid posted a link to pics with BC mixed with other patterns. I put the link below, if you're interested. I think it would be perfect in your room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post with buffalo check link in it

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mad, thanks for the link. I missed your topic but I'm glad you showed it to me.

I'm glad you all like the idea. I wanted buffalo checks in the LR, but the windows all have plantation shutters.

The black and white will also look good with the red and white kitchen which is next to the DR.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am going to deviate from the crowd here-- while I also love mixing patterns, I think you need to not just vary the scale but also vary the boldness of the patterns to make it work. A b&w buffalo check is very bold-- your wallpaper is very bold. I think they'll fight. a smaller check like you are currently using in black and white would be great.. as would a thin stripe using the black and the other colors in your wallpaper. You want a beautiful and interesting play of patterns imo.. not the strain of two bold patterns struggling to be the eye catcher.

My opinion may change with a bigger, broader view of the room. I suppose if it is large enough and if the patterns are separated by enough serene space it could work. Do you have a photo that you or one of us could mock up with the buffalo check to scale?

I am with you Oak.. I want to bring buffalo checks into my decor in some way also. I love the look.. I just think this may not be the best place for them in your home.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The DR is right next to the open kitchen and I'd be putting a buffalo check valance in the kitchen window also. No panels there.

I've stared at both rooms for a long time and I knew I needed more black accessories, and I keep going back to the BC.

I've seen them in even smaller rooms with more going on than the wallpaper.

I'm also thinking of using the check for a swag only, and then using heavy lace panels for the bottom half of the window.

My house is gradually going "layered." It's my newest obsession. lol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If it were me, I'd try to find a fabric that was close to the background in the rooster picture...not only do I love the fabric, but repeating that print for real would be uber cool in my mind.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Oh, I really like the fabric Annie suggested.. it's also a pattern and softer than the bold checks. The other thing is that the creamy yellows are so dominate in your rooms-- as I remember, your kitchen has a lot of the creamy yellow too? The background will go a long way towards connecting all-- the kitchen the wallpaper, your artwork *and* the curtain panels/valances.

Here's a cheap and easy mockup I did with a generic black buffalo check curtain panel. If you do go this direction, I'd recommend not going to a larger check and looking for one that pairs the black with more of a natural color than whitish. I'd rather do one that showed some of the window and kitchen if you have additional photos.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Hmm.. am I remembering that this dining area is literally open to/in the kitchen? And the wallpaper is only on one wall? If so, I do understand that you may want the more casual look of buffalo check to damask (is that the right term?). It would be helpful to see the whole area.. but I think I could see it working if you find a check that leans to the creamy yellow rather than white.. and a modest size check.

Again, I DO love the mix of fabrics but you want something interesting and joyfully fun.. not chaotic.

• User
    11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as Funky, a smaller check would look great with it but a larger one would compete. I would also try to find a way to use the smaller check on somthing else in the room as well to help add some balance, it could be some thing as small as lining a lamp shade with it or using some simple tie back seat cushions.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already have the smaller check..cabin check?..on the two windows and the check isn't noticeable unless you stand in front of it. The colors are a goldish mustard muted yellow (lol) with rust. To my eye's a medium check is too busy for me.

Thanks for the mockup! The window is about 5' from the wall and the curtains will be sill length. Beadboard below the window. I'm hoping that will make a difference since there won't be a whole lot of material.

The only solid wall of yellow goes down the hallway and in the utility room on the other side of the kitchen. Some yellow tiles in the backsplash but not much.

For my new color scheme I do need black. I have my eye's on some black and white checked canisters. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, this is funny. I had a dentist appt. this morning. Been there many times and always admired his wife's decorating.

As I was sitting in the chair waiting for the numbing to take effect, right there next to me were black and white buffalo check curtains! Long one's on a Palladian window. Beautiful.

I told him I liked the curtains, and he said, "She got them at Country Curtains."

Then he called them "gingham." I had to correct him. :)

But I'm glad I got a good look at them. I'm back to being undecided. lol

• busybee3
    11 years ago

if i were going to do a check, i would chose less contrast with your paper--blcak and dark cream or black and taupe/tan/gold maybe- something like that. i wouldn't like black and white...

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Busy, the swags I have now (not in the picture below) already have a tannish gold with rust checks, and it just looks dirty.

With my kitchen and DR having a lot of white I'm thinking the B&W would look better. Especially in the kitchen.

But that's why I have you guys, to see what I can't see. lol.

Here's an old picture of both windows. Right now they both have the swags which aren't shown.

What I like about the black and white is the crispness of the two colors combined, and it matches the other colors perfectly.

Windowsill and countertop decor has completely changed since this pic.

Backsplash has ruby red diamonds with light yellow diamonds around the sink and stove. Floor is a cream and rust.

Oh, the light above the sink is a white schoolhouse style with a red stripe going around it. Ditto for the ceiling light.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I'm with busybee-- I think the right size check would work, but not white as a check color.

Lovely room!!!!

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Off topic, but I just love your home! Can't wait to get my cabs painted like yours. You have such a warm, cozy space.

• annie1971
    11 years ago

For what it's worth to this discussion, the BC from Country Curtains is more of a linen/natural color than a bright white.
    I've been toying with black/white BC in our MB and have a sample from Country Curtins. The black BC is quite a bit darker in the white areas than the white areas of the other colors offered. If you don't already have a sample it would be worth getting one. It might go better with your DR, but it might not be the right black/white for your kitchen.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Your home is just so welcoming. I love it!

Is this what you already have?

Would you consider a yellow? (I used Funky's mockup!)

This post was edited by anele on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 17:09