Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchennovice44

Inspired LED - anyone use this under-cab lighting?

kitchennovice44
13 years ago

Has anyone used Inspired LED brand of LED plug-in lighting for under cabs? If so, could you share your opinion re: brightness and quality? I apologize if someone else already covered this, but couldn't find any mention of this brand on Kitchen or Lighting forums. The prices seem affordable and the strips themselves very small/light/easy to use. They've had a few good reviews on Amazon. Budget is really tight after cabs/granite spend...can't afford to hire an electrician to hard-wire...hoping this offers an affordable, fairly easy alternative for non-DIY folks like me. Thanks for any insights you can offer. (And a big thank-you in general to everyone who shares their advice on this forum...such a major help on so many kitchen decisions!)

Comments (13)

• pricepal
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Just finished installing mine. The guy was great to work with.

My situation was a little different as I hard wired from a wall dimmer to a transformer out through the walls. These lights are very thin, weigh next to nothing and are easy to install.

They can daisy chain from one power supply up to 20 lights I believe. I have the deluxe lights I think it is 21 bulbs per fixture and they are amazingly bright. I went with the warm color led's instead of the cool.

The nice thing about it, since you can run virtually everything from one plug in power supply, is you can buy the lights you can afford now, and the rest later. If you call them direct, he can sell you only exactly what you need, without extra cables etc. Figure out your cable spacing in advance so you do not wind up with cables too short, long etc.

I would recommend a inline dimmer for ambiance in the evenings.

I was hesitant as the price was reasonable even though I spent well over $400.00 for 23 lights cables and transformer, but I have had no problems YET and they have been in about a month now.

When I had halogens in my old kitchen, they heated up the cabinets and burned out constantly, which LED's are supposed to last a very long time.

Even if you could buy the halogens cheaper, a years worth of bulbs would wipe out any savings on the initial purchase.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pricepal...thank you...great info! Makes me feel so much better about ordering, as I couldn't find anything re: this company in GW forums. Just 2 questions: did you go with "super bright" or step up to "ultra bright" lights? I'm definitely getting the dimmer for ambiance, but also need good counter task lighting. Also: did you use the Flex strips or more rigid light panels? Thanks again!

• kaptainkr
    13 years ago

Based on the above comments I also ordered from this company. Shipping was quick and packaged well. The install was very easy, even with drilling holes in my cabinets. I didn't opt for the dimmers and don't miss them. I also went with the super bright LEDs. My emails to the company were quick and they are even sending me some extra cords in exchange and told me to send back the extras when I'm done with the install. They also sell on Amazon and the comments all seem very positive. I am very happy and highly recommend them.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input kaptainkr: I also ended up ordering...I ordered pre-cut LED strips, not panels. Mine aren't up yet...first I was missing one cord from orig order, then had to change out a couple of strips that were too long for my space, so waiting to get the shorter ones back. I've experienced the same quick response and helpful attitude... nice company owners. I'm crossing my fingers that I can finally get these lights up soon!

• Kay M
    13 years ago

We knew during our kitchen remodel that we were going with LED lights and I checked these out based on this thread since our cabinets are being delivered tomorrow. But I thought all of my decision making was done! Warm vs. cool lights! How do you know?!?!

• User
    13 years ago

KayceeFL, your color scheme, design intentions, and personal preferences may be very different from ours, but here's one opinion, in case our experience helps:

Our contractor brought over strips of the three LED colors that were available to us, so that we could see them in situ--i.e. in a well-windowed room, green walls, medium stained cabinets, soapstone counters. (I don't remember the brand, sorry!) They ranged, cool to warm, from bluish to white to slightly yellow. We went with the warmest, yellow-ish light. It struck us as the most natural, closest to sunshine and the familiar glow of incandescents.

• Kay M
    13 years ago

Thanks, mnerg. Our colors are maple cabinets with a fairly dark chocolate stain, blue pearl gt granite and dark grey rectified porcelian tile. Seems like cool lights may actually "go" better, but I prefer the look of more natural light. I need to get some photos out for anyone who cares. For the cost of these LEDs, I could just buy one of each and see what I like best. They seem to be a steal. What I am really looking for is touch controlled LEDs that we saw installed at one KD place, but I never got the brand.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We went with warm as well...that was recommended by Inspired LED owner after I gave description of my cabs, counter and use. We wanted a warm, inviting feel and have a transitional kitchen/decor. It looks to me like cool light may be more modern in feel? Could be stunning in the right environment.

• Matthew Rieger
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I called them and sent them an email with my floor plans. Was impressed with this companies customer service. So attentive and answered all my questions to educate me on their lighting products. They sent back a lighting design with all the components required and pricing. So effortless. Wish all companies were like this, they are like the textbook example of great customer service. Bryan was the name of the representative.

• lenzai
    8 years ago

Used them. Liked everything about the lights. Easy to install and good customer service with design review etc.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Ditto both matthew and lenzai's comments about inspiredled.

• magner69
    8 years ago

Just contacted them and how a layout in 24 hours! Impressive! My cost will be under $200 but my electrician wants $150/hour to install! That's insanity! No way I can do that. I may have to go without

• Matthew Rieger
    8 years ago

Are you able to install yourself?