Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy200

Knobs or Handles on Shaker Cabinets? Paint color?

Nancy200
12 years ago

Hi-I am a newbie here and love to read the questions. Now I have one of my own! It has been a year in the planning and I am SO tired of making decisions! My cabinets are in the garage waiting for installation, countertop is ordered, tile is ordered - now it's paint color and knobs or handles to decide on!!

I will have shaker natural maple but it's a light caramel color, not the blondish finish. The tiles are cream with a light veining of darker caramel. I am putting a small metalic (caramel, silver, black,cream and taupe)moasic border 2 tiles up from the countertop, running around the 2 walls of my kitchen where the cabinets are.

My question is - do I put knobs or handles on the doors? I think I will use the simple bar type handle,if I use them, on the doors. I have seen it both ways. Oh - stainless to match my appliances. I will also be having 2 base cabinets with drawers, not doors so they will definitely need handles.

Also - any suggestions on color - I am thinking of either light gold or cream (I'm a chicken when it comes to colors - I always seem to end up with a white or neutral!! I would appreciate any thoughts!! Thanks!

Comments (23)

• kitchendiyer
    12 years ago

We just ordered a Shaker style cabinet and I am pretty sure we will be installing pull-type handles on everything. I like the way it looks uniform and I've seen it before. I also probably make the most color-safe decisions. It's always easier to change out accessories or curtains for a color splash. Once the floors, cabinets, counters, and backsplash go in you are kind of stuck with the chosen colors...unless money isn't an object!

• willtv
    12 years ago

It depends, in part, on the size of your kitchen.
    At 8x12, ours is small compared to many.
    If you have a space the size of Breezy's, pulls will look better to most people.
    As for us, we went with all knobs.

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to make this decition now.
    Many of us lived with "blue tape pulls" while making a decision.

• hlove
    12 years ago

I chose knobs for my doors, figuring I could always change to pulls later on if I hated it. Not so easy going from pulls to knobs, though.

Of course, now that it's done, I haven't even give it a second thought. :)

• Nancy200
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Willtv! Your layout is similar to mine, window, sink, ls, stove. I love the white and black! I'm afraid to look an any more kitchens, for fear that I will see something else I like more!! Your point is well taken and I love the look of your kitchen.
    Someone told me they took more time picking out tile than they did a husband - ain't that the truth!

• darbuka
    12 years ago

Breezy...would you please share the name of your pulls, and
    where you purchased them?

Thanks!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

I always think a combination of knobs and pulls looks more interesting than all one or all the other. It just gets a little too matchy-matchy.I have knobs on all the cupboard doors and pulls on all the drawers...same pattern, RH Duluth.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Darbuka--My pulls are Restoration Hardware's Aubrey pull. I used the 4", 6", and 8" lengths. I'll link the thread with more pics. Btw, the pulls are very high-quality and have a great hand feel to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My not-nearly-done pics

• iroll_gw
    12 years ago

I used a combination of knobs on the uppers, the few lower cabinets, and pulls on all the drawers and the tall pantry cabinets. Link to my photos is below, scroll down to the end for closer-to-finished photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting there kitchen

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I did pulls on most and knobs on the tops of the tall cabs and over the fridge/freezer. With hindsight, I'd do all pulls if I were to do it all over again.

• nhbaskets
    12 years ago

We did knobs on doors, cup pulls on drawers. In this cabinet, the right side is our trash bin, the left side has pullouts. With the pull out trash bin, we ended up going with a knob, as the front appears as a door. That's an entire discussion of its own. Most GWs feel this should have a pull. We've lived with it for 3 years with no problems.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

nhbaskets, what is that gorgeous wood on your cabinets?

• cindyof4kids
    12 years ago

Had just knobs for 15 years on my Shaker cabinets and drawers. Went to handles for the cabinets and cup pulls for the drawers and love it so much better.

• nhbaskets
    12 years ago

Linelle, our cabinets are natural cherry. This pictures was taken shortly after they were installed. They have darken considerably, however, the beautiful grain still shows through

• willtv
    12 years ago

Nancy,Thanks.
    We've been living with the kitchen for a about 18 months and there isn't anything we'd substantially change.
    We have friends who took 2 years to decide on a backsplash.
    So the husband comment ain't so far from true.
    Keep in mind, the idea isn't to get it done.
    The idea is to get it done right.
    I'm attaching a link to our finished kitchen so you can see a few more angles.
    HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

For those of you who switched from knobs to pulls and prefer the pulls, can you tell me why? We have all pulls now and I like them fine, but I was considering putting knobs on the new doors just for a different look. Is it that you like being able to open the doors with one finger, in which case would a knob that accommodates that work as well for you?

• adel97
    12 years ago

northcarolina, the main reason I prefer closed ended pulls to either knobs or European bar pulls (with the ends that stick out) is that knobs and the European pulls tend to catch on my clothing and catch the extension cords of appliances I may be using on the counter. I guess I tend to lean close to the counter.

I had knobs in my old kitchen and this was an issue, so I went with closed ended pulls in the new kitchen from the start. I switched out the European pulls in my bathroom for closed ended pulls as well because my hair dryer was constantly getting caught.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The clothes catching is a real issue as the knobs on my stove do that to me all the time (but we love the stove regardless, lol). I listen to audiobooks while I cook, and the cord to the earpiece catches on the stove knobs and never the pulls on the cabs. It happens in our bathroom as well where there are knobs. I thread the cord to the earpieces under my shirt, so that has cut down a little on the catching problem, but it still happens, and clothes catch on it too.

Since our kitchen knobs are only above shoulder height, in that case, it is the look that I think I'd prefer. I may someday convert them into pulls. To my eye, the pulls look neater and sleeker and the knobs look choppy. It is not a big issue as, lord knows, we have much bigger fish to fry in order to complete our kitchen/house, but it is one of the few choices (other than gc! and floor material) that I'd do differently knowing what I know now. YMMV

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

We have a caramel maple w/ brushed nickel pulls. I wanted just pulls for visual simplicity, and my previous kitchen had horrible knobs that constantly grabbed my clothing.

• ccintx
    12 years ago

lightlystarched,

What are your countertops?

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

That makes perfect sense about the clothes catching on knobs, thank you all for explaining. I switched out our old damaged pulls to bar pulls that have the ends sticking out a year or two ago, and DH has requested that we not reuse them because they catch on his pockets. So I will do pulls on all the lowers for sure, and I'll decide later if I want knobs up top just for the look.

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

CCinTX - the counters are soapstone. I have a long posting history with my soapstone, lol. It is very dark, and I go back and forth with letting it stay dark (it wants to be dark) and washing it so it stays lighter.

This is how it looks freshly cleaned (old pic of unfinished kitchen):

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

Another for you, lightlystarched - what ARE those nice pulls?

bean

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH