Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marjen_gw

Almost done mostly DIY kitchen

marjen
15 years ago

Well i have spent a lot of time here the last few months getting ideas for our remodel. We had been set on building a new house last year, but got cold feet as things did not go too well in the beginning and after 6 months on the market, no takers on our house. So we decided to stay put and do some things to make this house fit our needs better. Main project was remodel kitchen and convert garage to dining/family room.

I still have a bunch of projects left, backsplash, waiting for island top and building stone hood for range, but kitchen is finally almost done. I designed it and did most of the work myself. Only hired a plumber, had some one reframe window and ceiling and my dad did the wiring. its been about 2.5 months but we finally have running water again.

anyway here are a few pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25532104@N06/sets/72157604683212327/

Comments (19)

• julie92
    15 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Give us details. Colors, hardware, etc!

• marjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lets see:

Cabinets: American Woodmark-Savanah-Cherry Chocolate Glaze and Savanah-Maple-Butterscotch Glaze.
    Counters: St Cicilia Dark granite
    Isalnd Counter: will be Cherry wood top.
    Floors: Cali Bamboo fossiled java
    walls: Benjamin Moore Aura Cork

• klutterkara
    15 years ago

Here's a link to make it easier. Great transformation...love your island.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY kitchen

• User
    15 years ago

Very nice! Your trim and windows are incredible too, what color did you use on them? And what is that blue? You have done a great job on making the kitchen very warm and inviting!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

LOVE it! Love your colors in both rooms, and the overall feel of the room is wonderful. It's all gorgeous and it shows nice attention to detail. Definitely two 'Wow' spaces.

• marjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trim color is a custom color. I think at one point it was a behr color and I had it color matched to a Benjamin Moore many projects ago. I almost lost the ingredients at one point and now have it stored on my computer, in case I can not read the lid. The wall color in the new room is Benjamin Moore Granite. its a weird color. Its a grey but looks bluish at times and late afternoon looks a little purplish.

Can't wait for the last couple things to be done but honestly for me, can not imagine ever wanting or needing more in a kitchen, it was worth the long days to finally see the almost finished product.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Wow that's a wonderful transformation! I love the cabinetry with the granite. You've really changed the footprint of the room too - it looks so much larger.

Great job!

• dinajo
    15 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Just a couple questions :
    1. What are your appliances? They look great...

2. Love your granite... what is it?

3. Using the American Woodmark cabinetry, were you able to get the finished recessed panel for the back of your island or did you have it made from moulding? We're using their cabinetry but I didn't see a finished panel like yours, only a flat panel.

• marjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RE:

1. Refrigerator is Samsung 29 cu ft. French Door. The dishwasher is a kenmore elite and the stove is the Fratelli Onofri Revolution.

2. Love your granite... what is it? Granite is St Cecilia Dark. Its growing on me. I had picked out something different and they did not have enough when they starting cutting and were not selling the stone anymore so i had to pick something else.

3. Using the American Woodmark cabinetry, were you able to get the finished recessed panel for the back of your island or did you have it made from moulding? We're using their cabinetry but I didn't see a finished panel like yours, only a flat panel.

The entire island other than the cabinets I built. I did get 4x8 ft white panel from AW its like 1/4" thick and used that for the middle of the boxes. The rest is just stock 1 x material. I used 1 x 6's on the top and bottom rails and 1 x 4 s for the vertical stiles. Used 1 x8's for the island "legs". Had no formal plan, it ended up what I was picturing but I was just sort of wing it lol.

• dinajo
    15 years ago

Marjen,
    Thanks for answering my questions... just one more.
    Where did you get the lovely pendants over your island?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Beautiful job!! Your island is gorgeous and I love the way it's centered from the family room. What a presence it has. What are the dimensions?

Congratulations on being close to the finish line and enjoy!!

• marjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pendants are actually from Home depot. I originally bought the wall sconces and loved them, bought the matching light for over the table and saw the pendants and bought them as well, all VERY reasonably priced. One of my favorite buys.

The Island with the top will be 102" x 42". The room is 19' x 15' and I think the island is just the right size.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Great kitchen, and great job on the DIY aspects!!!

• jenny0314
    15 years ago

That kitchen is stunning and I seriously LOVE the wall colors!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I'm not kidding, American Woodmark should put your kitchen in it's brochure. Everything you did looks wonderful; the floor and wall colors are fabulous, the pendants are great and I LOVE the island. And all DIY...very, very impressive and quite beautiful.

• kitchencommander
    15 years ago

marjen-what a fantastic kitchen. I am also installing American Woodmark-Savannah-Maple-in a Cognac stain. I decided against the glaze, but yours look absolutely stunning. Wish I would have had the guts to go with a different color island, but I was a chicken....cluck, cluck.

We have been working in increments, so I can still have a usable kitchen until the absolute end. Have done the pantry/microwave/wine cooler wall and the refrigerator wall. Now starting on the stove wall. I hope ours looks as spectacular as yours.

• marjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I truly love how it is turing out, just need that island top and figure out my backsplash.

I added some pics ( bad quality from cell phone) of the Range hood I built the last two nights. No more big blank spot on the wall anymore, lol. it was built our of stock material. Considering I had no concrete plan when I started cutting wood I think it actually turned out quite nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: range hood.

• mpass324_att_blackberry_net
    12 years ago

Would love to see your kitchen photos but for some reason the link doesn't work

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I would also love to see your kitchen photos but the link makes me log on with a different log-in name that I had with Flicker when I used to use their site and then says your files are private so I can't view them.